Burns & McDonnell

Updated January 21, 2015
3.7

Burns & McDonnell President and CEO Greg M. Graves
Greg M. Graves

Pros
  • Great company - employee ownership, profit sharing, collaborative environment (in 12 reviews)

• Like that the company is 100% Employee Owned (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work/life balance if you plan on meeting schedules (in 6 reviews)

• A few of the upper management have huge egos which can be frustrating at time (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Perspective of a long-term employee

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Take home pay meets industry standards, although some say it takes the bonus to augment base pay to achieve this standard. Long-term compounded growth of my ESOP account has eclipsed the value of my own 401K savings multi-fold. Retirement will be no problem. For me this has been the greatest benefit. Frankly I don't know how some of my peers working for other engineering firms are going to maintain their standard of living in retirement.

Cons

There are certainly some bad managers and it seems the worst are those that have not worked for the company as long as those they manage. Not unlike what I read about other companies. The worst managers are those who became "instant managers" and lack the technical knowledge and experience to actually do the work. Just act as professional butt kickers. This may not be the case across the board, since the company is fairly large, it really depends on the particular group or discipline you are assigned too. Some practices have a reputation to be much more harsh than others, so in essence there is some luck in the draw as under whom you may work. As a rule, Pros outweigh the Cons. Also realize that being employed here is your foot-in-the-door to be proactive in improving via networking with other groups in the company. Many who were dissatisfied with a particular manager where able to engineer their way to better work environments within the company.

My own manager has little idea and seems to care little about the projects I am working on. I am responsible for beating the bushes for my own work assignments. My annual review is a joke and is a tool to build an artificial record of deficiencies so that employees have little to stand on should they become terminated. Verbally I am told I am doing a good job but in writing on the annual review the negatives are purposely emphasized and artificially over-amplified. Which I assume is a self-serving risk management strategy. I can't understand why some managers verbally berate the employees with negative feedback when it serves no purpose other than to cause unnecessary stress. More emphasis is needed to inspire employees as part of the review process.

Architecture at BMcD

Current Employee - Corporte Architectural Division IS Very Diffult to Work In
    Current Employee - Corporte Architectural Division IS Very Diffult to Work In

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, opportunity, salary, bonus. Professional environment, ESOP company, If you like a large organization with a lot of room for growth, challenges, hard work , long hours, great rewards, great folks to work with go to BMcD

Cons

Long hours, high stress, high management expectations, competative environment

be more flexible int he dress code, hours of work.

Assistant Engineer

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell

Pros

Great work environment, engaging projects.

Cons

Occasionally have to work long hours

Best Place to work for long-term hard-working employees

Current Employee - Assistant Civil Detailer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Civil Detailer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's 100% employee owned, so you feel like your effort is really changing the bottom line. When your project does well, the company does well, and you get rewarded for that. They have pushed to be a company with $0 in long term debt, and that is an important factor to explain how they can expand when necessary, and maintain employment when times are tough. The company is always pushing for more community involvement. The employees work hard to get projects finished, and will often work together, instead of competing against each other to finish the project. In the field our jobs are ranked the safest in the nation, and we strive to make both our field operations and our office operations safe and productive. The company shares all of it's financial data with it's employee owners. Their built in fitness center, health center, and cafeteria make it easy to stay healthy and productive throughout the day. The management is generally extremely involved in the work we are doing, with most being internal to the company, they've seen the work, they know their stuff. The right people make it to management. And the wrong people are quickly weeded out. Burns & McDonnell is a company of integrity and honor. They care about the employees AND the client.

Cons

They have a fairly old school dress code, men will wear ties and button up shirts, and women will be in business attire. The monetary compensation per hour/salary is a bit below the market, but it offset by the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The hours can be long, and the work is very challenging.

I'd like to see a better job at cutting divisions that are not performing, beyond simply a slap on the wrist. If they have the wrong strategy then they need to find someone who can, or some way to make it perform.

Very hard work but compensated well

Current Employee - Staff Electrical Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Electrical Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee stock ownership and profit sharing

Cons

Most other benefits are not great.

Be wary of too much growth and losing our way

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell

Pros

Great benefits and working environment. Hard work is rewarded and continued growth is encouraged in both personal and professional areas.

Cons

Some company policies take a more traditional perspective on how a company should be run. This results in some dated dress code rules, business hours, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Work hard, then work harder.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unsuspecting nice people work here. Lots of celebrations and cheerleading sessions.

Cons

Extremely long hours, still not good enough. Base is very low, with promised end of year "bonus" is really making up for lack of base pay compared to current market. Bonus is also known as "deferred base" among employees. To succeed here, one must be a favorite of the female leadership, which requires giving endless praise and accolades. If you don't do this, then you are cut off. Not as well liked among the masses as believed.

Have a balance of power in regional offices instead of a narcissistic dictatorship. Many people are planning to leave soon because this company is resistant to adapt to market compensation in Houston. Must request feedback from all personnel and pay attention to what all are saying and act on it, not just on those that are in the favorites club. All it takes is one missed major deal to lose money, reputation, and clients.

Best place to work

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell

Pros

Good atmosphere. Positive work environment.

Cons

Fast paced. Must handle a lot of responsibility.

Assistant Environmental Engineer

Former Employee - Assistant Environmental Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Environmental Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. People are motivated, willing to spend time training new engineers, and there is a huge variety of projects. Managers give helpful feedback and try to match projects to your interest.

Cons

Mandatory field assignments. Transfers between offices are often promised but seldom done.

Good experience

Current Employee - Assistant Electrical Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Electrical Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sign-in bonus $5000
    Training for new employees
    Employee owned

Cons

could do better as diversity

good management