Burns & McDonnell

Updated September 21, 2014
3.7

Burns & McDonnell President and CEO Greg M. Graves
Greg M. Graves

Pros
  • Great company - employee ownership, profit sharing, collaborative environment (in 12 reviews)

• Every full time employee is part owner in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A few of the upper management have huge egos which can be frustrating at time (in 7 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance if you plan on meeting schedules (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Being an employee owned company is the difference in this company and others.

Former Employee - Senior End User Support Technician  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior End User Support Technician in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Employee owned... fair time off, good personal and professional growth.Time off is earned as PTO, ESOP is great for long term employees and 401 matching is OK as well.

Cons

Not many cons here, they are a little old school with shirts and ties everyday, but that can be easily overlooked with everything else happening around the company.

Growth and Opportunity

Former Employee - Assistant Electrical Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Electrical Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are tons of projects to work on so employees will never have to worry about looking for work. If you are the type to take initiative and put in tons of time into the projects then this company is right for you as you will be rewarded for your work. The benefits and pay lack, but will make up in bonus rewards.

Cons

Expect to work weekends and very late nights. However, even though you have to pull late nights, some clients complain about overtime charges which means you are stuck putting in late night work without being able to charge overtime. People are also an issue as a lot of engineers criticize rather than teamwork.

Work on teamwork as some personal believe criticism is normal. Some of the statements I heard coming from certain individuals were very disturbing. Overall, management is doing their best to hear everyone's concern.

Burns and McDonnell

Current Employee - Construction  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Construction in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and great environment

Cons

none, I really can't complain

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing!

Current Employee - Communications Intern  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Communications Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great outlook, ESOP, and just a great company to work for.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company. I loved working there.

Great place to work if you want to work all the time

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Benefits
    Successful company
    Good upper management with diverse outlook
    Good company culture - but can be too much at times

Cons

difficult place to work being a female in engineering - do not fully acknowledge all of the challenges
    low salaries that rely on end of year bonus to compensate
    no work-life balance - expect too much "donated time" from employees, travel on own time
    rigid work environment - strict dress code, not flexible on schedules
    Difficult as a female to balance family life

Provide better work-life balance
    Don't expect all employees to put in 50+ hour weeks because they want to - some want to have a 9-5 job
    Realize that you're not fair to female employees, that there is inequality between employees

Great Company, Great Oulook

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great variety of work, everyone is hard working, ESOP is a great benefit, wouldn't want to work anywhere else

Cons

No real cons. I had a great experience at Burns & McDonnell. They strive to improve every aspect of work-life and the progress is showing

Great Company

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like that the company is 100% Employee Owned. Great company with great culture.

Cons

None that I am aware of

Good place to work. Good benefits.

Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer  in  Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ESOP benefits and vesting, good people.

Cons

Major differences between headquarters and regional office management and benefits; work life balance

Diverse Projects, Poor Leadership, Misguiding promises, Low salary, High potential bonus, 10+ hour days

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Burns & McDonnell has a reputation in KC for being one of, if not the best company to work for. Maybe for a few it is, but for most people it is not. I considered leaving for around a year, and I always contemplated on what type of review I would leave the company or what I would say if anyone asked why I left. I recently resigned and it was hard to leave such a reputable company, but now, I am very glad I did. There were days I wanted to burn it to the ground, and days I thought I was fortunate to work for such a diverse company.

Burns & McDonnell has some great people, exciting projects, and in all different types of industries as you can see when you visit their website. What makes it not a great place to work is some of the leadership is terrible and run a dictatorship. They are considered executives because they have the most experience, but have minimal leadership skills. People don’t necessarily like them, they are afraid of them. The work culture is poor, no life/work balance, HR has near the highest turnover in the entire organization because they realize the “unwritten expectations” that employees are required to follow if they want to be successful. Salaries are below average, and they talk you into it because the potential benefits of the ESOP and Bonus structure. If someone could suffer through 25 years of this place, you would for sure be a millionaire if the company continues to perform the way it is now. If you want to sit at a desk for 10-12 hours a day and deal with leadership that treats you like a peasant than it is probably the best place for retirement in the nation.

Pros:

- Some great people work there
    - Very diverse range of projects throughout the nation
    - Very involved in community service and recognition
    - Stick around for a long time and you will be swimming in ESOP cash
    - Some that have been there a long time receive a bonus 60-100% of salary (typically those directly involved with clients and managing projects). Keep in mind this is taxed 45%.

Cons

Cons:
    - Bonus $ is not decided upon performance, but rather time spent with the company.
    - Salary increases are small and rare, even with a promotion. They say you should see an increase in bonus instead. The problem with this is taxes on bonuses, and also your deciding factor on how much ESOP cash you get at the end of the year is your salary level (not including bonuses). Not giving raises, keeps your ESOP cash % contribution the same year after year.
    - The company operates as different Global Practices and Regional Offices, which often times try to accomplish the same thing but using a different path. Which leads to repeating discussions, re-training, changing process for the same end result and is confusing and non-productive for many.
    - You get a lot of “this is the expectation!” but no guidance or leadership on how to get there. A lot of times I think this is because they aren’t really sure either.
    - I would see employees slightly mess up or do something incorrect, and rather than a manger discussing it with them and giving corrective coaching for improvement next time, it was talked behind his back to others. Management got involved and talked more about it and how the person was not meeting expectations. They never really helped the person become better. Just continued to let him do the wrong thing.
    - They wouldn’t pay for my Master’s Degree because the Division President didn’t see the value in each class, and how it would benefit Burns & Mac. The Master’s program was in the field I directly worked in. It was not unrelated by any means. I could go down the road to work at a fast food store and receive at least some credit for continuing education and this place is supposedly the 14th best place to work in the nation. Continuing education is in the corporate policy that we were expected to follow, but it was still denied.
    - With projects being all over the place, you are expected to be as well. Most of the time it is not on your schedule, it is based on the support the project needs. You may get a call on Sunday to say to fly out to Minnesota tomorrow and we aren't sure how long you have to be there. Could be 1 week, could be 3 months. This isn’t a typical scenario, but it does happen. In some divisions more than others.
    - They do give back to the community, local and national charities (united way, Ronald McDonald House, etc) but if you don’t participate it will be noted and you could see a result of this in your bonus.
    - Company is growing at such a fast rate they are having trouble supporting projects with quality management. This also causes an increase in non-typical work or requests due to rush requests with very little notice.

A couple quotes I was told when I was at Burns & Mac I will never forget eacg said by one of my supervisors/managers…

“I don’t know why people still try to have a life outside of work; work should be your life.”

“It is not about performance, but the perception of others around us” - was referring to division executives.

I think Burns & Mac can be a good place to work for some, and a lot of my experiences were due directly to the department I worked in and the management I interacted with. I know there are some other divisions that are ran similar, but others that are a little more relaxed. There is a lot of people that leave Burns & Mac, then come back with a higher salary. This is the smartest thing to do if you are in it for the long term, because it will dramatically affect the % of ESOP and other retirement contributions you receive. It will also put you into a different bill level with a higher typical bonus range.

Overall I’m glad I worked there, I did learn a lot (good and bad) and met some really smart/nice people.

To Department Mgmt - take a stand for your occupation and expertise. Don't be at the crack of the whip of the GP mgmt just because they write your check at the end of the year. Stand up for what is right and treat them with respect. Executives and your employees will respect and appreciate you more, eventually leading to better opportunities than you had when you bow down.

AMAZING!

Current Employee - Assistant Mechanical Engineer  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Mechanical Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the atmosphere and plenty of time to socialize. Time off is great too. ESOP is great and so is the work environment.

Cons

i don't think there are any cons with this company.

Management needs no advice. So much is done for the employees already and i am already grateful to be here

Worked for Burns & McDonnell? Contribute to the Community!