Burns & Wilcox Reviews

Reset
2.3
Alan Jay Kaufman

1. Underwriter

Pros

young environment, nice office building and convenient area

Cons

low pay, no flexibility to work from home even though it is very possible with the systems used

Be warned.

Former Employee - Broker Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Broker Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Burns & Wilcox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience to put on your resume to find a MUCH better opportunity elsewhere.

Cons

Management is horrible. Low Pay. High Turn over (14 quit in past 4 months). Plays favorites, allowing little to no advancement. No balance between work and life. Dose not value employees (we can replace you mentality) CEO

Advice to Management

Value your employees, take a few steps back and ask why is everyone leaving. Handle issues that are right in front of you. Open your eyes.

Short-sighted management

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burns & Wilcox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere. Great office location. Mostly nice coworkers. Fun monthly luncheon if office goals were met. Close to public transport.

Cons

Management is short sighted and wastes employee resources by not properly using employee talent. Pay is below market value for the type of work and skill required to do the job. Training is scattered and disorganized. I would have been even more lost without prior experience, though there were a couple of amazing trainers who tried their best to assist despite their already full workloads. You feel like an inconvenience when asking for or needing helo. Office culture was pretty cohesive until the CEO was scheduled to visit. Then we put on quite a show between coming early, staying late, eating lunch at our desks and pretending that our productivity was due to such austere behavior, because that's what our short-sighted CEO needed to see in order to be confident in our office. I can see how management tried to protect our office from adopting that type of culture permanently, as some of the other offices have, especially headquarters, as long as we continued to work hard and make the numbers. Benefits are expensive. An insurance company should be able to do better. Raises are often smaller than 1%.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to develop the talent you have and trust them to do great things. The only thing worth staying for at your office is the people. Great job making it fun. But the moment opportunity comes knocking you will lose employees every time unless you show that you value your employees and want to develop them, especially your assistants.

5. Insurance Support Specialist

Current Employee - Intern in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Intern in Reno, NV

I have been working at Burns & Wilcox part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and a large company that is in the process of constant growth, there will always be more for you to do

Cons

Currently over growing into a small office, moving the office would be a great help to get better workspaces for everyone in the office

Advice to Management

Great job

6. Good company, bad office

Former Employee - Associate Underwriter in Morehead City, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Underwriter in Morehead City, NC

I worked at Burns & Wilcox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is moving into current times matching technology.

Cons

Very low advancement potential in the particular office I worked in. The higher ups played favorites and moved along their buddies.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and stop being blinded to your friendships

Associate Underwriter

Current Employee - Associate Underwriter
    Current Employee - Associate Underwriter

I have been working at Burns & Wilcox full-time

Pros

There are several pros to working at Burns and Wilcox. First, the starting pay is pretty good. They pay for your insurance licensing class and test. The company also promotes and pays for all continuing education and insurance designations. The KELP program gives you the opportunity to meet upper management and your carriers. You have access to multiple in-house contract carriers. Some of the best in the industry. The position involves marketing and going out to meet your agents. This means you aren't stuck behind a desk 24/7. There's so many golf outings, insurance conventions and events to attend. Many of these you get to make new agent contacts and grow your book.

Cons

Lack of training for new hires Unclear time line for advancement

8. Good job for new graduates but not for seasoned skilled insurance employees

Pros

Large company with several companies to work for,

Cons

Good job but not much room for advancement unless you went to school with management or know someone.

Advice to Management

Look at promoting more than just close friends.

9. Good place to start, no long term advancemenet

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Burns & Wilcox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Accounting Department. There is great people to work with. Good environment, recently renovated office space. I specifically worked in receivables, it was the easiest thing I have ever done. The main pro to this position was that I was able to get good corporate level experience. Managers, controller, are great people to work with.

Cons

The accounting department is a dead end. No advancement other than to customer service which is probably the worst position in the department. Currently, everyone who is hired must have at least a bachelor's degree, thus there are highly qualified people for positions that require way less. Most people are great, there are a few people, like in every company, that you cannot even look at. Training can be handled way better. Like in any accounting position, end of year is a mess, don't expect to enjoy your holiday fully.

Advice to Management

Find a new trainer for receivables. Someone more receptive and welcoming. Hire people that are qualified for this position; people with prior receivables experience or an associates degree should do. Stop hiring over-qualified people, your employee churn rate will decrease drastically.

10. Great company to start your first job after college.

I have been working at Burns & Wilcox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endless possibilities all over the USA

Cons

No training department, new employees must rely on more experienced ones, no training manuals.

Advice to Management

None

Do not work here, please...

Pros

Great Co-workers Number of carriers Pay is decent

Cons

Micromanaged in a sales production role. Bonus system is complicated and very hard to achieve. If you make a mistake management will not speak to you about it and how to correct it. Does not value good employees - as evidenced by high turnover and current employees complaining constantly. Stuck in the past as far as how a company culture should be. But this comes down from the top and is a pure reflection of that. No room to move up in the company. Did I mention that if you make a mistake you don't get a chance to correct it and learn from it. Also see other review from person from Texas, the very long one. Almost all of their points are valid.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself.

RSS Feed </> Embed