Burns & Wilcox

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan Jay Kaufman

Great for starting out

ProsOffice has a great feel, understanding when you're fresh out of college

ConsPay is not very great

Terrible

Underwriter (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsThere is only one good reason to work there, the money. If you are an underwriter, the bonuses are exceptional.

ConsManagement fully expects employees to work 60+ hours a week. In their annual meeting, the human resource manager said if you want to have a life and a job then this isn't the right job for you. When interviewing, management sells you the moon and the stars but it's all hype. You will work like a dog for nothing. Fellow employees are so disillusioned the work environment is terrible. Everyone is angry & bitter. I would not recommend this employer to anyone.

Going nowhere and slowly.

Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsGood friends and a paycheck.

ConsHorrible, horrible management. No communication skills at the top level. He is intimidating, threatening and sexist. Better be a really attractive women to get anywhere and get everything you want. No possibility of advancement ever for women. cooperate doesn't seam to care what goes on and they do know. 1960 every day ladies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo use, no one listens

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

none

Zzz (Former Employee) Farmington Hills Post Office, MI

Proslucrative, quick, smart, agile, broad

Conscheap, political, attorney centric, sexist

Advice to Senior Managementrelax

It's a terrific place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Farmington, NM

ProsMy colleagues are nice. The office is comfortable with a pleasant atmosphere. The owner is personable (he delivered the Christmas gifts last year). There are perks like free yoga, health fair, good benefits, accessible HQ location with moderate traffic, and 7.5 hour days. Management personnel are friendly, helpful, and flexible.

ConsWork can be boring, but that's better than stressful

Who's who

Associate Broker/Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsThis company has amazing relationships with its carriers and agents . B&W has exceptional financial and international strength as a Kaufman Financial Group subsidiary.

KFG pays for all continuing education, which is a great plus for a recent graduate looking to further invest in their career and intellectual development.

ConsAs a new hire, expect to receive very little training and expected to do complicated underwriting tasks quickly.

There is not a training and development department at the branch level. Therefore, the individuals involved in the training process also have to maintain the responsibilities of their workload while being responsible for the career development of new employees. Essentially this is a misappropriation of human resources and ineffective time management for everyone involved. It also makes the new person feel like an inconvenience.

Don't expect to receive significant raises or praises for your efforts. This company makes you feel like they are doing you a favor by giving a job instead of rewarding hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementOften, there is an us/them dynamic when it comes to managers vs other employees. B&W prefers to hire college graduates from highly ranked/expensive/private universities. This qualification is frequently more essential than industry experience in the hiring process.

Personal opinion, office politics influence management decisions far more than work ethic and the intellectuality of key employees. Basically, if managers like you they want to keep you around, and not necessarily for true underwriting expertise or relationship management abilities. This creates a negative office culture as it alienates the people who are under the assumption their hard work will pay off for them.

Best advice, offer higher salaries to keep valuable talent with your company and invest in the deserving individuals who have earned their keep - instead of hiring someone & giving them the opportunities veteran employees have wanted for years.

Staying here until another opportunity opens up

ProsThe people are good, very good starting off point, lots of markets

ConsYou will never move up in this company. Bonus structure is horrible and only benefits the top few producers in the company. They always hire upper level people from outside to company, so no movement internally. Benefits are pricy. Employees not valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within, simplify the bonus structure. Hire enough people,to do the work to improve service levels

Disaster

Underwriter (Former Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsThis company will help you get in the door of the Excess & Surplus Lines insurance world and is a known contender in the industry.

ConsWhere to start....

Lack of support for work/life balance - management openly discourages and expects you to drop everything to work nights and weekends on a whim.

Senior Management enjoys drama and will stir it up among employees - also management enjoys gossiping and spreading rumor about current and prior employees. No one is safe.

Senior management plays favorites. Master your "kissing-up" skills/techniques.

Lack of opportunity for advancement - very low ceiling.

High turn-over ratio

Low employee morale - constantly beat down and in fear. The majority of current employees are looking for other career opportunities. There are very few people who are genuinely happy working at B&W.

Expensive benefits.

High stress environment.

Ethics are lacking

Lack of follow-through on promises
    Example: In interview, I was told that continuing education and master's programs was supported and covered by Burns & Wilcox. However, when I joined the company, I find out that only Insurance Designations are supported - not MBA or any other form of continuing education.

Advice to Senior ManagementA serious review of the correlation between senior management at each office and the employee turnover ratio is desperately needed.

Employees not appreciated

ProsColleagues are nice and get along. Manager does not micromanage. Benefits are good.

ConsDirectives from upper management are disrespectful and the result is very low morale.

For example, it is 'expected' that assistants track the time other employees arrive and leave, no eating at your desk, weekend and after hours expected on a whim, business formal dress code is strict, and no lunchrooms for employees. Employees are not given a chance to work as a team and develop relationships.

There is not room for advancement in the company. Hard work goes unrecognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your greatest asset. We save and make money for the company everyday. Show us some respect. Even little things like small bonuses or gift cards, pizza lunches or recognition would suffice. Heck, a smile would work. Everyone is so down all the time.

Unfulfilled

ProsMost of the people are great people. They are in the same boat you are in. Just about everyone with a future is seeking other opportunities.

ConsBe careful: Don't trust what you are told going in. Understand clearly that any promises made, unless signed by the CEO, are just words. Expect the company not to come through so on the rare occasion that they do you can feel good about it.
    They talk about things like work life balance, thinking outside the box, working smarter not harder, teamwork etc..., but they don't appear to support those ideas. They have good HR resources and initiatives, but the managers don't believe in or implement modern HR principles.
    Make sure your "kissing-up skills" are well polished and directed in the correct direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally take a look at your middle management.

Worked for Burns & Wilcox? Contribute to the Community!