Burr Pilger Mayer Reviews

Curtis Burr

Great Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful culture. The leadership strives to make this different than other public accounting firms.

Cons

As the firm has grown and the competition for talent increased, longer hours and commutes can occur. It is apparent that the firm is doing what they can to increase the headcount to create balance for the employees.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

2. Not Big 4, Not Even Close

Pros

They have an office in San Francisco

Cons

Misleading during interview process and during my time here

great for the most part

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture: energetic, forward thinking, not your usual accounting firm Lots of emphasis on training

Cons

Hard to stay chargeable during non busy season Laid off employees two times right after busy season Seemed hard to get past manager level

5. Supervisor

Current Employee - Assurance Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow your experience, the people you work with are social and a great to work with. I really enjoy working for the partners and managers that I work under and feel that they make a huge impact to my career and goals.

Cons

Internally they have some issues: short staffing over the past year has been difficult on all employees, recruiting efforts have not been fully successful and managers/partners pushing employees to be overwhelmed with workload. I feel the HR department and evaluation process needs to be re-evaluated. I've never seen so many people in an HR department and it feels like they don't do things right or are very last minute and lack communication to the rest of the firm. However, communications about changes in the firm come every month and appears they are trying to figure things out.

Advice to Management

I know bottom line is important to CEO but when talk about increasing business on a group of overworked and tired employees, you tend to see several seniors, supervisors, and managers leave for jobs that are more manageable workload.

6. Good Company but in Flux

Former Employee - Assurance Senior in East Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior in East Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Ability to work on a diverse set of clients - Ability to grow career - Incredible chance to take on more challenging work - Great mid-size firm and good name-base throughout Silicon Valley

Cons

- As with all auditing positions, horrible work/life balance but that is a given in any firm - There is favoritism with certain managers and they play the politics game....so even if you've done a great job, if they don't like you, they can give you a nasty performance review and it sits like a black mark forever - these reviews affect your raises and your promotions so I think it gives them WAY too much power.

Advice to Management

Change the way the reviews are done, have them done on averages so one manager doesn't have that much power.

7. Awesome

Pros

Everybody was supportive and caring. Had the opportunity to learn a lot. Also, the office was very nice, conveniently located, and had a great view.

Cons

Sometimes they didn't have work for me to do. At times, I found myself sitting down doing nothing because everything had already been completed.

Advice to Management

Train the interns so that they are not so lost when they join. It also allows them to help the rest of the team much better.

8. I have an exceptional experience working on Individual, C Corp, S Corp, and Partnership tax returns

Pros

I've done an amazing job at working through all the issues I came up with directly with the Partner

Cons

I worked extremely hard during tax season, usually, 70 hours a week.

Advice to Management

I'm looking forward to starting a career with your company. I truly can't wait. I am excited!

Excellent firm to work for

Current Employee - Associate II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for a little over half a a year, and I already feel like a part of the family. Everybody is so open and helpful. Here you're not just a number or "just an associate", you're a member of the family. Your superiors truly care about you learning and being the best person you can be in every aspect, not only as an employee. The firm also gives back to their employees in so many ways, including great benefits and many gatherings for all the firm's employees.

Cons

Busy seasons are always challenging, but that is in every firm. If you start at an unusual time (i.e. not with a big group of other new hires with scheduled training sessions), it can be a little harder to get acclimated, but everyone still does their best to get you up to speed.

Balanced

Current Employee - Assurance Senior
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior

Pros

- Reasonable hours considering the industry - Lots of vacation hours given - Management is very supportive - All staff levels are highly visible to partners

Cons

- Sometimes tough to find time to take vacation from a busy schedule

Great learning experience

Current Employee - Assurance Associate I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Burr Pilger Mayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Seniors and management understand that we aren't robots. Even hours during busy season are reasonable. The environment is conducive to learning and teaching. Management does their best to help you develop personally & professionally. Pay is comparable, if not more than Big 4, for way less hours.

Cons

Few big name brands as clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed