Burrell Behavioral Health

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've received great experience working with adults and children with behavioral health needs. I've grown as a professional and I love having a supportive work environment. Burrell also has a tuition reimbursement program to support staff who would like to further their education and advance within the company.

Cons

This is a stressful and demanding job. Workers use their personal vehicles and I believe most caseworkers average about 20,000 miles a year or more.

Provide more positive feedback to staff. There are a lot of demands placed on the workers and it is always nice to hear when we meet or exceed expectations instead of always hearing about what else we need to be doing.

Mixed review

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, clinical case management experience, network with providers, great co-workers, great clients.

Cons

low pay, no bonus program anymore. disconnected upper management to staff, low morale, will have to put on thousands of miles on personal vehicle, high stress, low support. Advancement opportunities is only incumbent on degrees acquired, not on skill, length of job and meeting qualifications.

A $60mil annual budget and you cut bonuses to all case workers? This is why you have lost several great employees. Read other online reviews and you'll identify a common theme that upper management is apathetic towards addressing.

Positive and professional work environment

Current Employee - Case Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

There were many training opportunities, both on-site and off-site. It is a large company but has a small company feeling with good co-workers and passionate people.

Cons

The company is spread out over several locations and it can be hard to get in touch with others at times. The opportunity for pay raise is low and burnout is high.

Consider compensation for your employees. Give more compliments and show gratitude for a job well done. Vetting possible employees better would be helpful. There are several people who have no desire to work in the field of psychology or with this population, and there is no motivation to go above and beyond.

Worst job experience of my life

Former Employee - Therapist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Therapist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were no pros at all in my experience- absolutely horrific.

Cons

Supervisor mocked the clients on a regular basis. No concern at all for client welfare. Workplace bullying by supervisors is acceptable and rampant. Company is morally bankrupt and supervisors are power hungry and even nasty at times- with no provocation. As stated, high school-clique style of management creating high turnover. Programs created to make money and used clients for monetary gain- making their lives even harder.

Pay attention to employee complaints. Consider doing what is right once in a while, rather than what will get more money or power.

I've never worked with a more poorly educated, inexperienced, unprofessional management team in all of my life.

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with / assisting clients who had legitimate immediate needs was extremely rewarding, and fulfilling.

Cons

The hours are long, the stress is high, the "supervisors" are power hungry and insecure due to their age / lack of life experiences (educated idiots) and there is a ton of gray area making following policies and procedures impossible.

1. Invest the money to hire supervisors who are more experienced and you'll have happier employees who feel respected, and happier clients who don't have to suffer through getting accustomed to a new caseworker every two months. 2.Compensate caseworkers fairly. Billing Medicaid $125 for an hour of a caseworkers time then turning around and paying the caseworker $11 out of that $125 is simply shady. 3. Invest in better technology - it will pay off in the long run.

Facade

Current Employee - Therapist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Therapist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some truly magnicificent people to work with.

Cons

Low pay, no merit based increases, false promises

Working with the clients was a great experience. Working with management was like trying to talk to a stump.

Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping clients is what it is all about.

Cons

Management travels in junior-high style cliques and has no moral problem with lying.

Clean the Transitions (management) house and interview former employees to learn the real reasons turnover is incredibly high.

Great people to work with, pay could be better.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health

Pros

The majority of co-workers are great people to work with and management seems to be understanding when it comes to balancing work and personal life. Burrell is also a company that prefers to promote from within when possible.

Cons

One of the major downsides to working for Burrell is that the pay rate for most positions could be higher, considering the various responsibilities that are typical for most job titles within the company.

Overall leadership is a pretty positive experience, however, I think the turnover rate would be much lower if the starting pay were a little higher and raises were given more often for those who stay with the company.

Great experience

Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Residential Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at Burrell Behavioral Health

Pros

Working here will definitely give you more insight to knowing how to effectively deal with individuals with behavioral problems. It also provides good experience if you are interested in topics studied in an abnormal psychology class.

Cons

For the amount of work put into being a residential specialist and the resulting stress, the pay needs to be way higher. This doesn't make for a suitable career.

Increase the hourly pay.