Burson-Marsteller

www.bm.com

Burson-Marsteller Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Burson-Marsteller – New York – “lobby”

Burson-Marsteller – New York – “lobby”

Burson-Marsteller President & CEO Donald A. Baer

Donald A. Baer

Pros
  • Smart people, friendly work environment, great clients (in 9 reviews)

• A great place to start out and learn from some of the best in the business (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a difficult juggling act anywhere, and this was no exception (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, billable hours pressure (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Burson-Marsteller - a great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent way to get a breadth of knowledge across the marketing, PR, communications function and to use time efficiently in a billable environment. New business development helps you understand if you're "born to do sales" or not.

ConsLong hours, billable hours pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time one-on-one in reverse mentoring roles. Don't just win business and move on - stay in touch.

Great clients and talent, but lacking opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsClients are great-- Whether you have 1 year or 25 years of experience, at Burson, you'll always get to work with top tier corporations.
    Great people--the opportunity to learn from your colleagues is always there

ConsWhile the office is more "open," the culture is lacking. Majority of the office rarely stay past 5:30 or want to venture outside the office for social events.
    Office politics are alive and well-- if you aren't in a good position with the favored employees, good luck. Promotions and raises happen twice a year-- and still WPP can take this away and the cycles are normally delayed a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in junior staff-- and don't expect us to do a 60 hour work week in 40 hours-- its not fair. If you want to keep talent, have conversations with talent about their interests.

Ok

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGlobal firm that commands client respect and high billing rates
    Was able to discover that small/mid-size independents provide more hands-on learning/working opps

ConsNot really an agency setting (in terms of how account teams are set up)
    Super-high billability expectations with workloads out of the control of those below director

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good PR training and client roster

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBurson's global aspect makes it a good place to learn PR skills to support a global client. It's a great place to learn the inner workings of PR and client relationship management. They also provide good training for employees. At least for the tech practice, you are dedicated to one client so you really get deep knowledge and association with their business (vs. random short-term projects).

ConsSome management (lower level) are brand new at managing people and do not know how to be constructive. This might be an industry thing where more junior people get promoted to manage a team without proper training on how to do so well. The company doesn't help junior staff see what their options are and from that front retention is not always the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you train junior managers as they will help with retention and team productivity / morale.

HBSI Program - North of Nine

Harold Burson Summer Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInternship program is nicely structured. Everyone is very smart and wants you to succeed. Colleagues are always willing to work in a team and there are a lot of opportunities for learning. Very welcoming office culture

ConsHuge company, which can be a con for some people

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork with great people with the opportunity to learn a lot. Everyone has your best interests in mind and wants to see you grow professionally. Final intern project is a great learning experience. Intern program gives you the opportunity to work across other practices. Mid review and final review- very helpful to my professional growth.

ConsAs an intern, billing overtime hours is very strict. I found myself leaving early a lot of days to compensate working late on other days. Possibility to be hired after the internship is 50/50, and it is hard to find this out during the course of the internship.

Great Agency to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBurson-Marsteller's internship program allows for a talented group of rising seniors and recent graduates the opportunity to work alongside some of the top individuals in the Public Relations field and gain valuable skills throughout the summer.

ConsAt Burson-Marsteller, there is an assumed "cut-throat" environment, and it is even encouraged in certain situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring from your internship program, but do not be wary about individuals that do not have this type of experience, because they might have a different and fresh perspective.

Good, But Not Great Company

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe founder of Burson, Harold Burson is a legend. The company has done some amazing work and has many great case histories to use when pitching new business.

ConsThere has been a lot of turnover in upper management in the SF office. Also, the company has tended to shut out all employees over 50.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Great experience and exposure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosa leader in the field

Conscompetitive environment but lots of room for growth

The leader, gold standard, in the industry

Managing Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAgency really shifting and embracing digital, exciting clients, award-winning work with a great deal of flexibility and support from senior management. Really starting to grow now with the re-invigorated senior leadership team and their global efforts.

ConsNone really to mention, compensation, time-off policies, and benefits are all excellent, in line with other WPP agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the great track

Worked for Burson-Marsteller? Contribute to the Community!