Burson-Marsteller

Updated September 17, 2014
3.2

Burson-Marsteller President & CEO Donald A. Baer
Donald A. Baer

Pros
  • Big name clients and high profile projects (in 6 reviews)

• Numerous opportunities to work on high-profile, top-notch clients (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of work-life balance since many work beyond office hours everyday (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, billable hours pressure (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to learn and grow for a couple years

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent training and skills development
    - Smart and supportive colleagues
    - Huge, global network and overseas opportunities
    - High level of responsibility and accountability
    - Client portfolio is top-notch

Cons

- Compensation is a little lower than industry average
    - Long hours (but that is normal for the industry)
    - As with most big organizations, it's slow to change

- Focus more on employee retention

It was pretty mediocre

Former Employee - Client Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Client Executive, I still qualified for "overtime pay" which was nice but a double edged sword. The company tried to instill a fun culture with fun Friday happy hours and occasional team lunches.

Cons

I worked 7am to 7pm many days and was rarely the last person to leave. This was because the work was never ending. I was on 7 accounts for a year and often worked weekends at home. Performance reviews were petty.

This is the nature of PR agencies, especially the larger ones. Keep it up, but don't expect young talent to stay long.

Great Intern Program

Former Employee - Harold Burson Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There was a lot of room to work on other projects if you raised your hand and asked for them. They ask what your interested in which is a huge plus, but can be a little intimidating at first when you're just starting your career.

Cons

There was a lot of overtime work. Other than that it was just the commute.

Good company to learn the industry ropes & skills to make you valuable employee elsewhere

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some talented managers/directors really shine and are willing to take time to teach junior staff instead of simply editing work or redoing it themselves. The company provides some good trainings on social media, specific databases/technology, which are helpful to round out overall skills. Big name clients mean that there are high-exposure campaigns and opportunities to work on, which helps build skill and can look impressive on a resume. My personal experience was working with non-hierarchical managers, which allowed me to work on some really high-level, challenging things even as a junior staff member. This directly impacted my growth and gave me skills I otherwise wouldn't have ever had. Basically, Burson is like getting paid to go to PR grad school. You learn the ropes of big-name clients, how to interact with huge companies, how to be managed and manage (junior staff are allowed to informally manage those below them), and the basic skills and tenants of PR. You get 3 weeks of vacation after your third calendar year, which is great.

Cons

Unfortunately, the teams and practices are extremely siloed. In spite of asking for years to work some of my hours on a different tech client or in a different practice, I only ever worked on one major tech client (this experience is one shared by nearly everyone I worked with). Management says they are open to working with employees to put them on things they're interested in/provide opportunities for growth, but at the end of the day I never saw this happen (except if someone threatened to quit). The workload is often totally unmanageable; managers don't do a good job of pushing back on clients, and junior staff end up working 60 hour weeks as a result. Most of the talent has quit or is quitting, and the employee morale is at an all-time low. Upper management seem more interested in making themselves look good than working to retain talent and ensure that their teams are working well/are happy.

More than everything above, the biggest con is the culture of unpleasantness. Some employees are of course nice, however the overall tone is one of instant annoyance, stress and irritability. It feels toxic to be in an environment where that is tolerated/thought of as the norm.

Pay is fair, although promotions and raises are often delayed by 6-7 months or completely cancelled due to overall poor agency performance.

Work with staff to diversify their clients and and fewer of them will leave. Give raises and promotions when you say you're going to instead of stringing people along. Continue offering trainings and opportunities for junior staff to work on new business. Focus on retaining the managers who are truly gifted teachers and PR professionals.

HBSI Program - North of Nine

Former Employee - Harold Burson Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internship program is nicely structured. Everyone is very smart and wants you to succeed. Colleagues are always willing to work in a team and there are a lot of opportunities for learning. Very welcoming office culture

Cons

Huge company, which can be a con for some people

Good PR training and client roster

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Burson's global aspect makes it a good place to learn PR skills to support a global client. It's a great place to learn the inner workings of PR and client relationship management. They also provide good training for employees. At least for the tech practice, you are dedicated to one client so you really get deep knowledge and association with their business (vs. random short-term projects).

Cons

Some management (lower level) are brand new at managing people and do not know how to be constructive. This might be an industry thing where more junior people get promoted to manage a team without proper training on how to do so well. The company doesn't help junior staff see what their options are and from that front retention is not always the best.

Make sure you train junior managers as they will help with retention and team productivity / morale.

Good, But Not Great Company

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The founder of Burson, Harold Burson is a legend. The company has done some amazing work and has many great case histories to use when pitching new business.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in upper management in the SF office. Also, the company has tended to shut out all employees over 50.

Listen to your employees.

I wish I could give 0 stars.

Former Employee - Client Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are certain people in the organization that are great, forward thinking, and helpful but, they are often bogged down by the other leaders in the organization who aren't willing to change. Immediate coworkers are often great people. Infrastructure staff is great. There are a lot of opportunities in PR, just usually out of reach.

Cons

Compensation is a joke. Promotions and raises don't make sense and are often not fair or clear who/why they got them.

The office cultures are "okay," there are farewell parties weekly. The overall sense is that everyone hates their jobs there, you can't make a doctor's appointment without people thinking you are interviewing elsewhere. The company has had massive turnover and isn't hiring the same quality of people which brings extra stress to people that have been there for a long time.

People don't usually work smarter, they work harder. This might be because leadership is lacking from mid-level to senior management. When you try to suggest change or innovation you are met with huge egos and doors in your face.

Work-Life balance is a joke. I work late evenings and every weekend. I can't remember the last time I had an entire day to myself.

CEO's both Global and North American should step down. They have the mindset of old management theories that have been proven over and over to fail. Try to read some up-to-date management books, try to widen your view and realize that people are what make organizations these days - junior and senior. BM North America seems to be the only organization who hasn't quite figured that out yet.

Compensate fairly. You all are HQ in all major cities around the US yet you pay junior staff minimal salary so it's a scrape to get by, since we get over time one way to get by is working 70-80 weeks but, that doesn't engage or keep employees for very long...does it?

snooooooze

Former Employee - Client Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Burson-Marsteller full-time (less than an year)

Pros

able to work from home

Cons

boring, bland coworkers, dull work enviornment

quit

Top-notch agency for a PR newbie or a seasoned PR pro, but so-so for those in between.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Burson-Marsteller

Pros

The company is excellent in regards to global reach, name recognition, variety of opportunities within and between practices and teams, great leadership, recruiting great talent, benefits package is okay for a large agency, not making employees feel guilty for taking a holiday, and the review process is fair and straightforward.

Cons

Relatively low pay, no annual bonus, lack of transparency in promotions/raises/salaries, etc., reputation as large, slow-moving agency with equally established client base/no innovation, really bad retention, the PR for our company is -ironically- pretty bad for a PR firm, the same people keep getting the high-profile projects, not very active in PR world outside internal functions.

Make it a priority to get everyone involved in new business instead of just the same people over and over again. You'd be surprised how people you never would have considered can shine and bring a lot to the table. Keep encouraging and follow-through with reasonable suggestions on improving the work culture and other subjects of employee feedback.

Burson-Marsteller Photos