Burst Media Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
2.8

Burst Media President Sandy Demitroff
Sandy Demitroff

Enjoyable work environment and coworkers

I worked at Burst Media

Pros

flexibility and opportunity for growth

Cons

feeling less valued since aquisition

Decent entry level experience, but not much else.

Current Employee - Network Specialist  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Network Specialist in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Burst Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides good industry experience. Entry level positions offer pretty good pay. Some room for promotions and personal growth.

Cons

Very little attention from senior management. However, direct supervisors tend to micromanage. Old business models are translating into clients leaving rapidly.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Burst Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much micro- managing, which is good because you're in charge of your own responsibilities, so if you get them done when you're supposed to, you wont have any problems. Good compensation/bonus program.

Cons

At times, it can be easy to get bored, you need to keep yourself fresh and engaged in the task at hand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

I have been working at Burst Media full-time

Pros

Burst has a very friendly open environment, and the people in this office are all very friendly, communicative, and understanding. There is a lot of flexibility in balancing work with life and personal needs that come up. Burst provides free coffee, tea, cocoa, and fresh fruit daily, and caters lunch for longer meetings.

Cons

Since Burst was acquired by Blinkx Media, some of the benefits have been retracted. The biggest loss was the 401(k) match. We have also lost some of our holiday time, and the cap for vacation for longer tenured employees has gone down. The company has become meeting crazy also as a result of the acquisition, and the multitude of offices in various locations. There have been a few rounds of layoffs to hide revenue issues during some tough times. There are many places where this money could have come from than letting good employees go.

None, the management team here at Burst is pretty solid.

Horrible, don't work here unless you're desperate

Former Employee - Client Development Associate  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Client Development Associate in Burlington, MA

I worked at Burst Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing I can think of. They used to give us free water/coffee/soda. That was taken away.

Cons

Management is very fake, they will constantly back-stab you and place blame on anyone else. They reward those who suck up - arrive early and stay late - even if they don't produce results. There is no room for personal growth. I feel that I was unfairly bullied and blamed for terrible ad campaigns that I had no control over. Many times, I witnessed screaming arguments between managers in nearby rooms with multiple obscenities. It was uncomfortable and very unprofessional. They love to micromanage and they're always looking for something you're doing wrong, not what you're doing right. My manager once told me "if you want to make six figures, you are in the wrong place". That was a good sign that I should leave. For the record, I am now making mid six figures.

Listen to your employees, don't just blame them. Stop playing favorites.

Suddenly, 1, 2 or 3 star reviews are now 4 and 5 stars.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I worked at Burst Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One can only assume that the HR department has "seeded" these glowing reviews. I worked there...it isn't the "happy place" that the most recent reviewers make it out to be. It's sad that management feels they need to post false reviews to try and cover up the general dissatisfaction that exists here.

Cons

Dated technology but an attitude that "the rest of the world is wrong".

Stop drinking the kool-aid and actually do something to improve your product.

Solid Online Advertising Foundation

I have been working at Burst Media

Pros

I feel like I have learned lots in my time at Burst. This is my first job out of college and I definately have solid online advertising experience under my belt already. Burst is good at the nuts and bolts of online advertising and I think having that solid foundation will only serve me well in the future.

Cons

I wish the office were in Boston, where I live! Also, some of the systems and programs we use at Burst aren't the most intuitive to use sometimes.

I would say that upper management should make sure employees get adequate training for they're jobs. And have refreshers over the course of the year so we can continue to get better and more efficient.

Good experience in digital media at an established company.

I have been working at Burst Media full-time

Pros

Burst is the kind of place where if you want to get your hands on a variety of projects, you can. The company built itself as an display ad network/rep firm, but they have recently expanded into mobile, online video and social media. The company generally has a good reputation in the industry.

Burst also now operates a few of their own websites, which is new and different. It always feels like there is something to learn in this space, which is refreshing and sometimes challenging. But feeling challenged is better than being bored!

Also, Burst's parent company Blinkx is a publically traded company that is on very solid financial ground. They believe in Burst and for the most part have let us "do our thing" as experts in digital media.

Cons

Blinkx bought Burst over 2 years ago, and there have been transitional issues and changes in just about everything. Nothing unexpected with an acquisition; that's the nature of the beast. Now with Sandy Demitroff at the helm the dust seems to be settling.

Burst also needs to accurately asses employee workloads in some cases. It's important to be busy and work smart, but it's also important to set realistic expectations internally and externally. Being overworked can lead to mediocrity, indifference and burnout. And then talented people leave.

Be open with employees about big-picture things like corporate changes and financial performance. Knock down the departmental silos that still exist. We are on the same team after all.

Have faith in the people that you bring on board. You didn't hire them to be micromanaged! Along the same lines, foster a healthy work environment. Consider investing in resources (staffing, technology, etc.) to alleviate issues mentioned above.

Finally, the renewed focus on promoting a positive and inclusive company culture is like a breath of fresh air. Be sure to continue your work in this area.

A Great Place to start a career.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at Burst Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Burst is a great place to start a career, learn as much as you can, ask great questions then plan to move on after you have mastered proficiency.

Cons

Once you have mastered the basics, it's time to move on. Sad but true. Many have toiled away for years without reward. There seems to be a high turnover rate in employees every 18 months.

Management needs to invest more time and energy in providing better learning opportunities for the starters to grow the business and then flourish after the year 2 anniversary.

A mixed experience

I have been working at Burst Media full-time

Pros

Encourages internal growth, allowing employees to move across departments and roles
    A good place to learn the basics of display media
    Good location
    Casual environment

Cons

Out dated technology
    Closed door top level management culture. Specifically, COO Harry Klein who leads by fear. "Harry is going to scream at you" is a typical sentiment among employees, senior level included.
    If you aren't a smoker...good luck. Upper mang. spends a significant amount of their day outside smoking, inaccessible to most employees.
    Shady business practices across the board with a lot of behind the curtain secrets
    Unfair and low compensation for industry

Worked for Burst Media? Contribute to the Community!