Burst Media

Burst Media President Sandy Demitroff

Sandy Demitroff

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsNot much micro- managing, which is good because you're in charge of your own responsibilities, so if you get them done when you're supposed to, you wont have any problems. Good compensation/bonus program.

ConsAt times, it can be easy to get bored, you need to keep yourself fresh and engaged in the task at hand.

Decent entry level experience, but not much else.

Network Specialist (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe company provides good industry experience. Entry level positions offer pretty good pay. Some room for promotions and personal growth.

ConsVery little attention from senior management. However, direct supervisors tend to micromanage. Old business models are translating into clients leaving rapidly.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsBurst has a very friendly open environment, and the people in this office are all very friendly, communicative, and understanding. There is a lot of flexibility in balancing work with life and personal needs that come up. Burst provides free coffee, tea, cocoa, and fresh fruit daily, and caters lunch for longer meetings.

ConsSince Burst was acquired by Blinkx Media, some of the benefits have been retracted. The biggest loss was the 401(k) match. We have also lost some of our holiday time, and the cap for vacation for longer tenured employees has gone down. The company has become meeting crazy also as a result of the acquisition, and the multitude of offices in various locations. There have been a few rounds of layoffs to hide revenue issues during some tough times. There are many places where this money could have come from than letting good employees go.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, the management team here at Burst is pretty solid.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible, don't work here unless you're desperate

Client Development Associate (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsNothing I can think of. They used to give us free water/coffee/soda. That was taken away.

ConsManagement is very fake, they will constantly back-stab you and place blame on anyone else. They reward those who suck up - arrive early and stay late - even if they don't produce results. There is no room for personal growth. I feel that I was unfairly bullied and blamed for terrible ad campaigns that I had no control over. Many times, I witnessed screaming arguments between managers in nearby rooms with multiple obscenities. It was uncomfortable and very unprofessional. They love to micromanage and they're always looking for something you're doing wrong, not what you're doing right. My manager once told me "if you want to make six figures, you are in the wrong place". That was a good sign that I should leave. For the record, I am now making mid six figures.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, don't just blame them. Stop playing favorites.

Solid Online Advertising Foundation

ProsI feel like I have learned lots in my time at Burst. This is my first job out of college and I definately have solid online advertising experience under my belt already. Burst is good at the nuts and bolts of online advertising and I think having that solid foundation will only serve me well in the future.

ConsI wish the office were in Boston, where I live! Also, some of the systems and programs we use at Burst aren't the most intuitive to use sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say that upper management should make sure employees get adequate training for they're jobs. And have refreshers over the course of the year so we can continue to get better and more efficient.

Suddenly, 1, 2 or 3 star reviews are now 4 and 5 stars.

Sales (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsOne can only assume that the HR department has "seeded" these glowing reviews. I worked there...it isn't the "happy place" that the most recent reviewers make it out to be. It's sad that management feels they need to post false reviews to try and cover up the general dissatisfaction that exists here.

ConsDated technology but an attitude that "the rest of the world is wrong".

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the kool-aid and actually do something to improve your product.

Good experience in digital media at an established company.

ProsBurst is the kind of place where if you want to get your hands on a variety of projects, you can. The company built itself as an display ad network/rep firm, but they have recently expanded into mobile, online video and social media. The company generally has a good reputation in the industry.

Burst also now operates a few of their own websites, which is new and different. It always feels like there is something to learn in this space, which is refreshing and sometimes challenging. But feeling challenged is better than being bored!

Also, Burst's parent company Blinkx is a publically traded company that is on very solid financial ground. They believe in Burst and for the most part have let us "do our thing" as experts in digital media.

ConsBlinkx bought Burst over 2 years ago, and there have been transitional issues and changes in just about everything. Nothing unexpected with an acquisition; that's the nature of the beast. Now with Sandy Demitroff at the helm the dust seems to be settling.

Burst also needs to accurately asses employee workloads in some cases. It's important to be busy and work smart, but it's also important to set realistic expectations internally and externally. Being overworked can lead to mediocrity, indifference and burnout. And then talented people leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with employees about big-picture things like corporate changes and financial performance. Knock down the departmental silos that still exist. We are on the same team after all.

Have faith in the people that you bring on board. You didn't hire them to be micromanaged! Along the same lines, foster a healthy work environment. Consider investing in resources (staffing, technology, etc.) to alleviate issues mentioned above.

Finally, the renewed focus on promoting a positive and inclusive company culture is like a breath of fresh air. Be sure to continue your work in this area.

Fast Paced Growing Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

Pros- Snacks/Drinks/Lunches occasionally
    - Fast Paced, Lots of work
    - Leading Edge products, especially since Burst has integrated with blinkx Video
    - Owned and Operated leverages the blinkx Video Engine and has been a huge improvement for the Burst Media brand.
    - Nice Employees
    - Good Management
    - Upward Mobility
    - Not too big, not too small
    - Cool start up culture

Cons- Not enough cohesiveness amongst divisions, blinkx, burst, pv, etc
    - Management has been difficult in the past, but is changing for the better
    - Wish office was in Boston where I live, but Burlington is nice, and not too much traffic to get to the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more ideas across the blinkx organization. Lead on employees who make a difference. Keep promoting from within and then hiring entry level employees.

Changing Company - Changing Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsI have to say that the culture at Burst has been slowly changing for the better. While there have been some growing pains after Burst was acquired by blinkx, overall the company is moving in the right direction and is under new great leadership. Burst has a startup type culture, fast paced, and from what I have seen and experienced - there is a lot of opportunity for growth.

Most of the Directors/VPs here have started with the company in entry level or individual contributor roles. It is refreshing to see a company that still hires from within first, before looking outside the company to fill open positions.

I really like the people I work with. Everyone (for the most part) is friendly. When the company does well, we get rewarded for hard work (Bonuses, etc). I have been with a few different companies since graduation, and truly feel like I have found a company that I enjoy to work with, believe in the growth plans/goals, and I am confident that I can establish and grow my career with Burst Media long term. Now that is a good feeling.

ConsAgain, there have been some growing pains with the acquisition. Management has been changing a bit, but overall I think this is a good change. There has been a transition in products, and sometimes it is difficult to see the immediate impact. Sometimes projects are given to a group of employees, when it could be given to one or two people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more ownership to key contributors and be transparent about company-wide changes. Continue to work hand in hand with the blinkx video engine to help drive revenue for both divisions.

A Great Place to start a career.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsBurst is a great place to start a career, learn as much as you can, ask great questions then plan to move on after you have mastered proficiency.

ConsOnce you have mastered the basics, it's time to move on. Sad but true. Many have toiled away for years without reward. There seems to be a high turnover rate in employees every 18 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to invest more time and energy in providing better learning opportunities for the starters to grow the business and then flourish after the year 2 anniversary.

Worked for Burst Media? Contribute to the Community!