Burt's Bees

Nick Vlahos

Perspective from 3rd shift floor worker

Production (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than a year

ProsMany capital projects occurring within the manufacturing plant, as well as "spurts" of hiring reflect the growth and stability. The Plant leadership team is generally very accessible, professional and level headed. Current safety metrics are very good. Plant leadership is driving change and the culture of the facility is responding. Opportunities for advancement are common within the company, and opportunities to transfer to other clorox companies are nearly constant. I love the health and wellness program, which pays for my gym membership. The manufacturing facility is centrally located.

ConsThe manufacturing facility is a converted space, so some facilities are lacking, and parts of the building are cramped.

Burts Was Fantastic before Clorox

Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Burt's Bees full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Products, co workers, Sustainability

ConsBurts Bees was brought out by Clorox.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep Burts intact as much as possible.

My time at Burts Bees has been very rewarding.

Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBurts Bees is a great place to work. They offer a great work environment. The pride themselves in working for the greater good.

ConsThe company is growing so fast since being acquired by Clorox, that communication can sometimes get lost

A rewarding experience full of interesting contradictions.

Production (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time

ProsThe work is not difficult, if you are slightly mechanically inclined. The benefits are pretty good. They do a lot to show that they are thinking about the employees, dinners, parties, etc.

ConsThe pay is not great. There is a lot of paperwork that goes along with your duties in production. Promotion is framed in such a way that you have to do a series of task such as creating a document to depict how to perform an operation on a machine. After you've done several of these you can move up what are called skill blocks which come with a small pay increase. Problem is after you have done all the things on the list, if they do not want to give it to you they just make up more tasks for you to do. I have seen this discourage people from continuing the task, which is what seems to be the motive because they can then blame not giving decent raises to the fact that you didn't complete your skill blocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a legitimate training environment, where you can asses what the employee is capable of. Pay better, and stop indulging yourself in the gossip of the place.

Great mission based brand.

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Burt's Bees full-time for more than a year

ProsTriple bottom line focus. Well respected brand.

ConsProcess starting to impact culture

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate grass roots efforts as they are intergal to the brand.

Very low morale

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time

ProsThe products are good.
The company is committed to its natural values and to giving back to the community.

ConsThe soul of Burt's Bees is gone and has been replaced by fear and infighting since we have become completely integrated with Clorox. This is no longer a collaborative environment; there is no longer any trust.
New members of leadership join from Clorox, but refuse to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on morale.

Integration in progress - Morale is bad

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun product, good company values
Compensation seems to be above market in general for Triangle area but when factoring in all the hours you will work, you end up making less.
At least I have a job

ConsRemote leadership
Politics
Systems suck!
Poor work/life balance
Some people have drunk the punch, can't see the forest through the trees and seem to think all is well.
Clorox "fear based" culture is creeping in
Performance evals are subjective and driven mainly by people's opinions and not actual work performance. It pays to be a "yes" man to everyone.
Managing up is more important than managing down. The way up is on the backs of your subordinates.

Advice to Senior Managementno comment

Good people, good environment

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmpowerment, trust, open door, people care about their jobs for the most part, Management cares about the people

ConsMoe room to grow within your job then up the ladder
Clorox - changing the environment at Burt's

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider people vs. "seats"

Mix of big company and start-up - not always the best of both

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product! Interesting environment, great company values

ConsVery chaotic and stressful environment. Lack of systems means work/life balance is non-existent unless you are in upper management or a manufacturing employee. Very difficult to take any vacation. Although it is not explicitly stated, people at all levels are expected to be on call 7 days/week and 18 hours per day. Expect to work on weekends, nights, holidays, vacation days for months/years without a break. Few people in the company actually get to work M-F 9-5. Some departments are very clique-y. People are nice but there is a lot of petty in-fighting and competitiveness. Not what it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back 360 reviews. Stop nit-picking employees in performance evals and focus on what's important.

Fun for a while but the infighting gets old

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Burt's Bees full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally a casual atmosphere, plus summer hours (get off at 1PM on Fridays in summer). Great building and location. Sales have been good partially because they operate in growing category of natural personal care. "Green" culture is nice, the company also supports the community green charities with a portion of sales.

ConsMiddle management ranges from supportive to incompetent. Marketing is growing more political as Clorox (parent company) strengthens their control over the job levels and structure. This is generally not a particularly analytical company, they tend to just copy what others are doing in the space.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove barriers for employees, encourage personal growth, and be more inclusive.

Worked for Burt's Bees? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burt's Bees reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Burt's Bees CEO Nick Vlahos. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Burt's Bees employees.