www.burtchworks.com

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
4.6

Linda Burtch

Great internship experience with exposure to all facets of the business!

Former Employee - Industry Research in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Industry Research in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burtch Works as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Burtch Works provided an excellent internship environment with many opportunities for professional development! After a well organized and successful hands-on training, I was assigned several projects that provided exposure to all areas of the business and challenged my personal and professional growth. I was trusted to work independently but was welcome to ask questions and continue learning at any given time. The open and collaborative environment of Burtch Works is evident in the physical atmosphere of the office and in the openness every team member has for answering questions, sharing information, and aiding in the general knowledge base of the office. Constructive criticism and helpful feedback was given regularly, along with acknowledgement of hard work and a job well done. All team members were incredibly dedicated to individual professional growth, as well as the overall growth of the company. At the same time, however, no one takes themselves too seriously and are personable and fun!

Burtch Works is in an excellent location just north of Chicago in Evanston with easy access to the CTA and Metra. Compensation was competitive for a summer internship.

Cons

No negative experiences to recount.

Great Start in the Business World!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Burtch Works full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After a year of searching for a solid entry-level position to break into the business world, Burtch Works offered me a an amazing opportunity to start my career. Being a small company, hard work and drive are not only noticed but rewarded. I advanced extremely quickly into a more challenging and rewarding position by taking initiative and going for it.

Great company culture: Communication is open and constant. The office, while fast paced and sometimes stressful, has a comfortable and bright atmosphere. The business casual (jeans allowed) dress code makes more of a difference in my everyday work life than I even expected. Everyone from fellow recruiters to Linda, the head of the company, is always willing to give advice and help me grow as an employee. Having a full kitchen, complete with snacks and one of those Keurig coffee makers, is a great perk as well!

The location is around the corner from both the Metra and CTA and close to some great places to grab lunch (another food benefit).

Although it's a small company, pay is fair and includes full benefits and 401k matching.

Cons

I don't have much bad to say; I still work for Burtch Works and am continuing to grow and enjoy my job. Things can get stressful at the extremely fast pace here, but if you're looking for a challenging position that will help you learn and build your skills, this is a great place to be.

Excellent opportunity to grow your recruiting career.

Former Employee - In-house Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - In-house Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Burtch Works as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked very closely with the leadership of this firm as a contract, in-house recruiter, I can attest that it is top notch. The managing director provides a great example, because not only is she charged with setting and executing the vision for this operation, she is also is a highly successful, full-time Executive Recruiter.

Company culture is highly ethical, collaborative and congenial, with plenty of experience and expertise to tap into, which is especially useful for the less tenured recruiters. For the more seasoned recruiter at a crossroads, this provides an opportunity to proactively advance your career and your earnings potential in a positive environment.

Cons

There are no real Cons that I can see, but here are some helpful facts.....Rewards are big, but only for those who are career minded recruiters. If you don't have the people skills to develop a stong network and a good amount of self motivation this is not the right fit for you. But if you've got the right stuff, it's a great place to work, with a very effective, fair-minded leader at the helm.

Burtch Works has provided me with a challenging and rewarding career step.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Burtch Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- high potential for growth and many opportunities for hard work to get noticed and rewarded
    - excellent training for entry or junior level employees, along with continual advice from senior leadership on best practices, both in an administrative and strategic manner
    - variety in every day work - never a dull moment!
    - truly collaborative work environment and positive, ethical culture

Cons

No negative experiences in particular. As a part of the recruiting business, we do go through periods of high stress, when clients are uncooperative or when there are multiple job orders to prioritize. I think there is always room for improving how to best handle stressful situations as a team.

Fulfilling, rewarding place to work and the people are so supportive, a really great team!

Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Burtch Works as a contractor

Pros

Great office environment, supportive management, helpful and kind coworkers. The best work/life balance I've had in my career! Truly a team environment.

Cons

When I have to go into the office, it's far from my home.

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Burtch Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Room for growth: I have been promoted twice since I started working at Burtch Works out of college
    - Constructive feedback: Managers are always available to talk, provide feedback on your work
    - Great culture/employee appreciation: Recruiters and associates are friendly and hard-working; excellent work-life balance and managers are understanding

Cons

I haven't had any negative experiences in the two years I've worked here. You get out of this job what you put in and there's a good support system for everyone.

I live in Chicago and was a little hesitant about the commute to Evanston, but the office is conveniently located in the downtown area and very easy to get to off the Purple Line or Metra.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burtch Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Burtch Works for several years, and had a very positive experience. Burtch Works is an extremely reputable, ethical, and effective analytics recruiting firm. The management really cares about maintaining a happy and positive environment for the employees. The employees are supportive, helpful, hardworking, and smart! Although recruiting is an entrepreneurial job, Burtch Works is set up in teams, so you’re able to collaborate with other recruiters. As a recruiter, I felt that I was supported and guided well, and was set up for success.

Cons

I don't consider this a con, but the managers have high standards and expectations for employees who work at Burtch Works.

Produce great results if you're a client

Former Employee - Recruiter in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burtch Works full-time

Pros

If you are a client of burtch works you are likely to have a positive experience, that yields great results.

Cons

The office environment for an employee can be difficult to adjust to.

Avoid being passive aggressive.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Burtch Works

Pros

Its good company
    Good environment
    Good pay scale

Cons

Growth is not there
    Management is not proper