Burwell Industries Reviews

Reset
2.4
Brian Lucyk

1. Great Company

I have been working at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

no negative comments to report

Poisonous cult funnels Kool-Aid down your esophagus.

Pros

Some great people have worked there over the years. A few of the newer managers are sane. Interesting products if you like heavily perfumed lotions and bath salts.

Cons

Leaders practice outdated, ruthless, and destructive people-management tactics. Turnover is worth of Guiness world records. Most who leave are fired, threatened, or walked out in tears. Don't believe the fairy tale they tell you in the interview. Before you take a job here, do your homework. Ask ANYONE who every actually worked here if they would recommend it. Read all the reviews here and on Indeed. Search for ex employees on LinkedIn and COUNT them, then realize this is a company of maybe 50 people. We were asked to post positive reviews. We were threatened if we tried to be friends with former employees. I was told that I can't be friendly with certain ex employees. New CEO can't overcome the volatility and cruelty of ownership and their loyal helpers who are drunk on the koolaid. Lives and careers of dozens of former employees have been damaged because of this company’s malice and deceit. They change their name to Margot Elena Companies & Collections but don't be fooled it's the same old Burhell.

Advice to Management

Clean sweep of current management. Bring in some modern, enlightened professionals to replace owner involvement.

3. RUN....FAST!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Extremely talented and hardworking employees!

Cons

The owners and management team fail to recognize the talent and value of their employees. Our new "CEO" is a joke!

Advice to Management

Empower the employees and trust your staff.

Burwell Industries Response

Aug 24, 2015 – CEO

We are constantly striving to improve the abilities of our management team (including our CEO). We would welcome feedback regarding how we can better demonstrate the trust we have in our talented ... More

Burwell Industries is Margot Elena Collections and Companies

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing your name from Burwell Industries must have a positive effect on getting anyone to apply for a job at this company.

Cons

You have a new name and same inside the book management with the highest turn over in the industry. Shame that you have to ask your employees to can a review to give the company a positive spin. New CEO should run and hide now as it is a matter of time until he is run out of town... This company is famous for not paying commissions, no salary increases and managing the staff as if they were sentenced to a boarding school as a penalty. Read the reviews as they are spot on and not exaggerated, the stories like these could not be made up. After the loss of the two best managers in the CFO and Global Sales Manager in a few week time frame last year, the remainder of the management team are puppets to the owner, Margot Elena.

Advice to Management

Close your doors for a year as to let the dust settle and reopen with a new name as you may have a shot if you can pull this off.

6. Exciting Future

I have been working at Burwell Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization recognizes past mistakes and makes every effort to recover and help their employees succeed. They have brought in some new great talent to take the company to the next level and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of the journey

Cons

A few people are still stuck in the past and try to hold the company back from progress, but I can see management try to work with these individuals and help them feel valued.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and don't look back!

Good starter job

Pros

Good place to go for experience.

Cons

Poorly managed, starting at the top. Wouldn't stay longer than you need in order to get experience.

Disappointing work experience

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their products are good. The vast majority of employees are great colleagues and work hard.

Cons

When I took the job I knew it would be a risk to work at this company after reading the other reviews. The structure of this company is unfortunate. When you're hired they exaggerate what the role will be like, and over the course of time it changes and not for the better. There is basically no training provided when you start. I understand that in small companies there won't necessarily be a full comprehensive training program, but it would really benefit new employees and the business to have a better training method. There is VERY poor transparency and a lot of secrecy regarding the state of the business, I have worked for other private companies, and this one is by far the absolute worst when it comes to regular employees knowing basic information on how the business is doing from a financial state. Like other reviewers have said, there is an EXTREMELY high turnover rate and it's unwarranted. I've seen many people fired for no particular reason that makes sense, the company doesn't really do performance evaluations or performance written warnings, basically it's a watch your back until you're fired environment, and that's unfortunate for workers who truly are trying to do their job the best they can. Lastly, their benefits are terrible, for a company that supposedly is doing well their benefits are not in line. The premiums are extremely high for health insurance and very poor time off.

Advice to Management

Honestly, the owners should not be the ones to run the company. Management needs to listen to what many of the employees are asking for, be more transparent and work better with employees.

Fake reviews - horrible workplace

Pros

Pretty products. Things are very slowly beginning to turn positive (or they're trying) but it's a long way off.

Cons

Everything about this place is a con-literally. They are now adding fake reviews on here. Talk about desperate. This place is horrible. My job title, duties, and responsibilities got changed numerous times, without my okay, or without even asking me!! I was basically told this was my 'new' job from here on out. They can't get their crap together. It's a mess. Everything is a mess. I was always treated like crap by anyone of a higher title. The managers take credit for their employees hard work, even gets bonus' for it. They've never once given a bonus to 'pee-ons'. Everything was constantly changing around there. Don't expect any consistency. Procedures change, and no one communicates it. You're just expected to know. Pay is bad. Last minute notice (one day or less) of mandatory overtime. They think no one has a life outside of their job. constantly adding on new work and responsibilities, and you're expected to still get it all done. Please run the other way. Working there was disheartening. You try hard but get treated like crap. You won't go anywhere, none of your hard work is recognized. Just don't even think about it.

Advice to Management

First of all, everyone there works very hard, it's obvious who doesn't. Give credit to those who put effort into their job, and stop promoting the lazy ones!!! Treat them with respect. We're all people. Just because we don't have the title, doesn't mean we deserve to be disrespected.

Great place to work, company is headed in the right direction

Former Employee - Product Development Assistant in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Product Development Assistant in Centennial, CO

Pros

Burwell Industries is a great, inspiring place to work. The products are amazing and it is fun and rewarding to see all of the creativity that goes into the Margot Elena brand behind the scenes on a daily basis. There are definitely ample opportunities for career growth. The work parties/social gatherings are simply phenomenal - you are definitely rewarded for your hard work. The production department is very easy-going and is made up of a great team. The two managers that run this team are amazing leaders - some of the best managers I have ever had. All of my co-workers were very friendly and ready to help if I ever had a question about anything. During my time here, there was never a typical day. I was always doing something different and was never bored. Some times the workload was high and it was very stressful, but who doesn't want to be challenged? In addition, you are so busy that the days literally fly by. I learned more than I ever expected during my time at Burwell, and I know that the experience will benefit me in many new job positions to come. Take the negative reviews on here with a grain of salt, this company is definitely headed in the right direction and management really cares about its employees and believes in the brand.

Cons

The cleaning staff comes during the day - it is slightly disruptive to working. I also wish the hours were more flexible.

Advice to Management

This company has amazing potential. More flexible hours, higher salaries, better benefits (more vacation days, 401K match, offering health programs, etc) would go a long way.

11. Don't believe everything you read here. This company went through some transition, but it does truly care!

Former Employee - Sales in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is fun, with the focus on customer service. Very good product, that people love. Fun, lively environment, with good pay, and benefits. I really enjoyed working here, and the people are very nice, and work as a team.

Cons

Not much. Maybe, some additional interaction within the other departments, but really not many challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to grow. You have a great product, and people love the creativity and quality.

RSS Feed </> Embed