Burwell Industries

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
1.3

Margot Wells

Dysfunctional is only the beginning

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The products are amazing and as an employee you are given great discounts.

Cons

Burwell is a sinking ship. They are constantly changing things - the building, people's roles, processes - all without any communication. It is not unusual to come to work and find you have a completely different job or they moved your department. They also have a ridiculously high turnover, especially in the sales department. In the time I have worked there I think they have turned over 80-90% of the employees. The number of employees who make it two years or longer I could count on one hand. They used to have what employees called "firing Fridays" because it was almost guaranteed they were going to fire someone on payday Fridays. Its also not unusual for them to write you up instead of giving you a review so they can justify not giving you a raise. The sales goals are not sustainable, the processes are laborious and they pay is not competitive. No one, including some managers will make a decision without running it by one of the owners for fear of repercussion. I'm talking about spending a $15 here or there. I think company could be amazing but the owners won't get out of their own way.

They spent a ton of money with a consulting company to find out how to improve morale. Management should have listened. The employees talked about more flexible work hours, more competitive pay, room for growth and the ability to make their own decisions.

An awful place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The one and only pro of working here was getting cool products at a "discounted" price.

Cons

This is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. From the day I walked in for my first day I was subject to threatening behavior by my superiors. The first two months I worked there, someone got fired every single payday Friday, hence the "firing Friday's" I have seen in previous posts.

The owners has absolutely no idea how to run a company. They will start projects and never finish them. I have seen this happen numerous times. Management has no idea what their Employees actually do or need to do to get work done, yet are micro managed down to every single piece of paper on their desk. Some are asked once an hour what they are working on, even after they are told by the same manager what to work on.

The extent of harassment, threatening, bullying, manipulation, and vindictive behavior that goes on is incredibly mind blowing. Almost to the point of being illegal. The management will twist words to get employees fired or written up, and upper management never questions a word.

The percentage of turnover is off the charts. 75-80% at one point. Everything in this company is very hush hush, and there is no such thing as communication. Even if you're in the need to know, you will not know.

There are some employees that get yelled at, threatened, spoken to in a very condescending way, or just straight up ignored on a daily basis. There is absolutely NO loyalty in this company. I have seen employees who have worked for the company many years and have brought so much good to the company get kicked to the curb without a second thought.

I have also seen numerous employees fired for standing up for themself after being mistreated, or disagreeing with ANYTHING that happens there. This has happened too many times for me to count. You are basically expected to be a mindless robot. Worked to death, not allowed to talk, not allowed to eat, or have any feeling or emotions at all.

I could go on about the utter mistreatment of employees here. Simply put, do not waste your time in this company. You will go no where and will be treated horribly.

Listen to your employees. I think this would fix a multitude of the problems.

Do Not Work Here

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time

Pros

The products are great and as an employee you get great discounts. If you are in sales you get to travel the country and work trade shows. Margot Wells, the owner, is a creative genius and really knows her customer and has developed highly desirable products.

Cons

Company values: This is by far the most dysfunctional place I have ever worked. Never in my life have I worked in such a toxic environment where psychological warfare is at an all time high. The upper management has no real experience in corporate selling and is ultimately leading the company down a hole. This is the type of company where the more you kiss butt and brown-nose the higher up you will get. I have run into many of my former colleagues and not one of them would return for all of the money in the world.

Regarding compensation, you are given a base salary with no commission. Just spiffs here and there that really don't amount to anything.

Time off is only accrued 1.29 hours every pay period. This means that you have to work for 4 months before you have earned 1 day off.

Don't believe the facade...

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outside of the connections I made with others, and what I learned about the industry as a whole, I am hard pressed to find anything positive that came out of my experience here, except perhaps what not to do as a business owner.

Cons

Poor leadership, unethical practices, and overall lack of trust and communication. The culture created there is one of distrust, deception, and outright malevolence, and is reflected in their almost unbelievable turnover rate.

Listen to your employees - they are the ones who actually run your company and create your success. Otherwise you may find there is no one left in Colorado to hire.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Account Executive in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Burwell industries has some amazing products that I was very proud to stand behind, The designer and her team have a wonderful amount of creativity that surrounded all of the products! Great company to start with to get a wide array of experience. I was involved with the customer service team, designated to manage PR, traveled as sales, helped in the warehouse among many other duties.

Cons

With the great experience, management would load your plate and make you take more on without matching pay. After completing a unreachable task, they would pile on more tasks.

As a ambitious individual, I felt that management held the employees back from ever progressing their career with Burwell. The company was ran by the designers mother. I was very excited to start my career with Burwell due to it being a family owned company, but was disappointed after starting since the company morale was so negative. Employees are treated like students of a catholic boarding school. Hard work, staying after to help during rushes and etc merits nothing. We did receive special coupons to use towards company product after beating a quota or meeting/reaching goals. However the incentives never included progression.

I remember volunteering to stay after to help put stickers on product before the product had to be rush shipped. There was no talking allowed, no looking around and the music was turned off after an employee started singing along.

I came up with an idea after going to a gift trade show and presented the idea to my manager, (the mother) The idea was based off some mints that had a mirror. My idea was to create a kit with lipstick or lip gloss in a detailed creative labeling design, mints included and a mirror included on the lipstick or mints. I was told that my idea wasn't a great one since the company wasn't involved in making cosmetics. After a few months, the company introduced Kiss Me Kits. I never received any recognition for this idea.

Employees are forced to sign papers that are not relevant to circumstances. An employee had her grandmother pass away in the beginning of her tenure with Burwell, after a few months her great grandmother passed away. The same employee had started physical therapy at 7:30AM - 8:30AM twice a week. The company hours were 9-5. The company decided to change the hours to 8:30am and wouldn't allow the employee to continue her therapy if the session wasn't during her 30 minute lunch or after company hours. Kaiser didn't offer anything during those times, so the employee reduced her PT to only once a week. The manager wouldn't allow the flexibility for the employee to continue PT even once a week. This employee was forced to sign a paper stating that the funeral of her grandmother, great grandmother, a snow day and physical therapy tardiness weren't excused. If the employee didn't sign the paperwork she would be terminated. If the employee was late or called in sick one more time, she would be terminated.

Look into employee engagement, training for ambitious individuals and treat your employees as assets. Your turn over will reduce once you focus on hiring assets and creating a positive morale within the office.

Another case of the Burwell Blues

Former Employee - Accounting in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Centennial, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to work as a stepping stone job. The owners and CFO of this company are good people. Benefits are ok, not the best but better than nothing. You might be able to work your way into a better position if management doesn't hold you back.

Cons

Unfortunately you will be overworked and underpaid. They offer only one evaluation after a year, (if they actually get to it because management is too busy) and then they might give you a pay raise of $1.00. Street parking only - very little spots to park and get ready to have your car dinged and scratched. Constant revolving door of employee turnover.

Treat your employees with some respect and show some appreciation for their work efforts. Just be nice! Everyone at this company is working hard and they are underpaid. You blame your employees and turn them against each other. Had a manager scream in my face and spray me with her spit because she didn't understand why I put a formula in my spreadsheet.

Unprofessional, management is deplorable with a dictatorship attitude. Deserves negative stars.

Former Employee - Production in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Production in Denver, CO

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Turning in my resignation was the happiest day of my life!

Cons

Employees are treated like children. Nothing redeemable to report. Owners act like dictators.

Get off your high horses and start treating your employees as assets instead of making them obligated to you for keeping them employed.