Burwood Group

Updated August 27, 2014
4.2

Mark Theoharous

Opportunity, Grown and Development

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Personal Grown. Professional Grown. Virtual Working Environment. Great People. Excellent Clients. Opportunity to grow and develop. Company invests in their employees. Company invests in their employees long term. Wearing a large amount of hats with many responsibilities.

Cons

Salaries are smaller due to smaller company. Things might take longer to do internally.

Promote your leaders. Obviously, the people who are happy want to stay. Make them great and help raise them up.

Great Company to Grow With!

Current Employee - CSA in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - CSA in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has made every effort to give me the chance to learn about several different areas of the business. I've never been made to feel inferior if I don't know something or have little experience. Management is open and easy to work with/for. Great company culture, great attitudes company-wide.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any!

Keep up the openness and great attitudes. Love how much trust is given to new employees! No micro-management here - everyone is trusted to do their job without supervision

A great place to learn & grow - a great place to work!

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time

Pros

Burwood does a good job at giving you the support and resources to do your job. It's a place where you can take an opportunity and run with it. How far you take it depends entirely on you, and I think it's a spectacular learning environment. A lot of great people and an overall enjoyable work experience.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Feedback is encouraged with an open door policy so if any issue comes up it's typically taken care of rather quickly.

As we continue to grow, keep investing in bringing us all together for our retreats. Nothing replaces that collaboration as we continue to move forward as a company.

Great Growing Company

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time

Pros

Burwood has many things going for it. It's a small but growing company with a group of very invested, intelligent employees - the people are what makes this company stand out. There is a good deal of flexibility and autonomy. Employees are valued as individuals rather than numbers. Great place for consultants to gain exposure to varying verticals and technologies.

Cons

Overall, not too many cons to speak of, in my opinion. Experiencing some growing pains as the 100 employee mark nears, but seems like management is on top of this.

Blockbuster. 95% of what I would want in a company

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many company sponsored happy hours, parties
    Twice yearly retreats
    Mangement listens to concerns, acts upon
    Very, very, very smart people, easily accessible
    Company phone, AMEX, computer
    Ability to work from home when appropriate

Cons

99% is not good enough; the strive for perfection causes some occassional issues on projects
    Continuing education is encouraged, but hard to schedule in-between paying gigs. More priority would be nice.

Keep the $$$ up to keep the talent here.
    Continue allowing underperformers to find other employment.

Honesty, integrity and the highest level of client service delivered every day.

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Burwood Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Burwood Group maintains a small company feel while delivering to select/enterprise-class clients. Consultative approach is way ahead of other VARs/Integrators in the space, especially in healthcare, medical device, financial services and higher education. Burwood hires some of the best talent in the industry and is credible with our client partners around the US.

Cons

Can sometimes have a case of 100-itis; will not be bound by growth, which can be both positive and negative.

Started off extremely positive - then declined rapidly.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Burwood Group

Pros

Excellent benefits! (Annual Bonuses, Excellent 401K Matching program, home/work environment is amazing.)
    Great coworkers. Nearly everyone there is awesome to work with.

Cons

One word: Management.
    However this is really focused on the Sales and Business Development side, and specifically in areas outside of the flagship Chicago office. While working within the Chicago office, and with the corresponding team is bar none - there is a complete reversal of fortunes for those tasked with working in other "development" areas.

Spend at least 20% of your time and expertise in developing the areas outside of Chicago. You may also want to look at getting someone who's experienced in developing new regions to manage new areas of development. While loyalty is a great thing to have. It can tend to be a hinderance to business prospects.

Disappointing, I expected more

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Burwood Group

Pros

Burwood Group is a well respected company externally
    You have the opportunity to work with great clients and on projects that make an impact

Cons

Burwood Grop has too much of an "in group" environment and the management has far too much focus on the top 5% of employees

The leadership team needs to not just listen to the workforce but proactively seek out regular feedback (and not the worthless 360s!)

Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Burwood Group

Pros

Technically-proficient delivery team with great sales organization. Pleasure to work for in comparison to some other firms out there. Great place for a junior-level consultant to get up to speed and learn from some real masters both in management and technical consulting.

Cons

Still a growing company with growing company pains. Has really started to refine things over the last year and things are looking better!

Thin out the top end of the company. Lean and mean should be the mantra moving forward. Upgrade salary base for technical staff in order to retain and procure top talent.

Burwood - a great place to hone your technical consulting skills in the SMB/Enterprise space

I have been working at Burwood Group

Pros

A superior talent pool in comparison to other consulting firms. Leadership that you can trust. Work with great clients and have an opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Heavy work load. Still a fledgling company that needs to iron out some of their internal processes.

Focus on keeping the most valuable resources in top shape - reinvest in your employees in terms of training and mentoring.