Busch Gardens

Updated October 18, 2014
3.4

Busch Gardens CEO Jim Atchison
Jim Atchison

Pros
  • I can't think of anything good besides the free tickets (in 18 reviews)

• Free tickets and passes for friends and family (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay - wish the park paid us more for what we have to deal with, but it's a theme park (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours can burn you out (especially during busy periods) - I'm pretty energetic so I burn out easily (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Busch

Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

supervisors were really cool, co workers were nice,

Cons

People can get rude sometimes becuase of the heat, long shifts sometimes

Best summers ever imagined

I worked at Busch Gardens

Pros

I did the summer internship and was automatically put in a supervisor role, which was a fantastic résumé booster. The people there are hilarious and fun to work with.

Cons

I worked close to 60 hours every week, and it was really difficult to get my desired days off during peak season. You work a lot of holidays and weekends too.

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Culinary Service Attendant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Culinary Service Attendant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The coworkers and supervisors were extremely polite and easy to get along with.
    Training is very specific and your co workers are always there for you in case you are confused about anything.

Cons

There will be occasional customers who will try to ruin your day just because there was nothing within your power to help them.

Keep up the good work!

Not too bad

Current Employee - Ride Operator
    Current Employee - Ride Operator

I have been working at Busch Gardens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great with availability, free tickets, discounts, a lot of ways to advance, great atmosphere when working with co-workers. It makes you feel you are part of a family

Cons

If you are an employee, expect to be on your own. Usually there are never any supervisors around. If you get pt, expect to work 28 hours.

Good if you have the patience to handle it.

Former Employee - Photo Merchandise Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Photo Merchandise Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good first time job, get to meet a lot of different people, good hours in the season, more relaxing then some of the bigger theme parks. Coworkers can be great and really help you get through the day. Get free tickets and a good discount in the park.

Cons

Don't expect to move up. Part time can be easy for some employees to earn, while impossible for others. A lot of politics. Better hope that you get to work inside. Lots of dumb rules to deal with, and you always have to let the customer win, further feeding their egotistical attitudes. Random hours lead to bad work-life balance.

Give more opportunities for people to excel, and recognize achievements instead of writing someone up when a guests complains for free merch.

A great experience that gave exposure to all functions of the company

Former Employee - Facilities Supervisor
    Former Employee - Facilities Supervisor

I worked at Busch Gardens as an intern

Pros

The internship was great leadership experience. You will learn something new everyday, and the job is never boring!

Cons

You will work a lot of hours during the busiest parts of the summer. There is no overtime pay at Busch Gardens

Great Management!

I worked at Busch Gardens

Pros

Free tickets, great discounts on food for employees, friendly supervisors

Cons

Due to the limited number of days at the park, you work less hours.

Love the management! Just continue doing your great job to your customers and employees. I would recommend this place to work at to everyone.

A wonderful park and a fun and fulfilling place to work.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great friends/coworkers, fun work environment. If you are seasonal you are given the opportunity to get a lot of hours at very competitive pay, in addition to annual pay raises and good benefit opportunities even for hourly employees.

Cons

A lot of work politics. If you don't like working in the sun all summer it is not for you. Maybe a little too much drama at times. You may be under-appreciated/passed up for promotion if you don't buddy-buddy with management.

Great staring job for ones joining ior returning to the work force.

Current Employee - Park Operations in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Park Operations in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Busch Gardens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Park Discounts, Co Workers, Making your own future, and Job Satisfaction. You have to make this job work for you. Set the bat high, go forward and set goals to achieve.

Cons

Can easily get lost in the amount of employees that work here. You have to set yourself apart and become noticed.

Recognize the team members that do well and reward them. Make notices of "job well done" public. As easily as public recognition to job advancement. I think "Selfies with Carl" is an excellent program. It makes the team members feel more like a team/family. To have the president of the park snap a picture with a sweeper, cook, area host can make that team member feel like he/she are a part of the park. Well done!
    Look into a pay increase across the board.

Former HOS worker

I worked at Busch Gardens (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific co workers (very friendly, diverse crowd who work well together). Scaring people is a lot of fun and the job itself was interesting and enjoyable and never the same thing twice even in the same role over multiple nights.

Cons

Company plays favorites and also expects HOS to be your full time job with open availability even though it is a seasonal one month job. Supposedly there are "auditions" each year and that is how scareactors are chosen, but the reality is you are chosen if management likes you well enough and if not you are "punished" by not being rehired for a certain period of time. I was not rehired after working over eight years because I could not work certain evenings (because of my full time job) and I let them know up front, still auditioned and was told no positions were available for me. Conditions can be rough (non air conditioned sets, sitting outside in mud and rain). Drunk guests can and will assault you and little will be done save for them MAYBE being thrown out of the park. I miss it but after being dismissed the last time without explanation I doubt it would be worth it for me to return and audition again.

Be more flexible. Realize that your veterans also have full time jobs before and after HOS but love HOS enough to want to be there. Acknowledge our contributions and efforts. If roles aren't available, let us know that up front instead of waiting 8 hours in 90+ degree weather to audition when there's no chance we will be hired if management has already decided so.

Busch Gardens Photos