Busch Gardens

Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

Busch Gardens CEO Jim Atchison
Jim Atchison

Pros
  • I can't think of anything good besides the free tickets (in 18 reviews)

• Free tickets and passes for friends and family (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay - wish the park paid us more for what we have to deal with, but it's a theme park (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours can burn you out (especially during busy periods) - I'm pretty energetic so I burn out easily (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting place to work, but be ready for long days on your feet.

Former Employee - Cashier (Merchandise) in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier (Merchandise) in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team member benefits are great- from a high school students point of view. Free access to most of the sea world parks, and a 30% discount on just about everything in the park. Working behind the scenes of a theme park is fascinating, and I recommend it to everyone, even if just for a seasonal job like I did (worked at Christmas town). You get plenty of experience working with customers and the co workers are fabulous.

Cons

The pay is very low. This is likely due to the fact I worked at the bottom of the food chain in a small shop. I also was the only one in this shop. It was my very first job, and on my first day I was thrown into a full capacity day, trying to sort out the cash register by myself. Also, even for 9 hour shifts, only one break. You aren't allowed to sit on the job, so I was stuck paving the store looking for things to organize. The slow days are the worst, and as always, you can get some rude customers.

Park ops

Current Employee - Park Operations
    Current Employee - Park Operations

I have been working at Busch Gardens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for this company for a while it wasn't bad it was a short term job. It gave me relatable experience in teaching that helped me build my career.

Cons

Be careful in reading the contracts if you have an eight month contract after the eight months you need to either apply for part time or take a two month break.

Provide more incentives to motivate employees.

Harder for older folks...

Current Employee - Photographer in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Photographer in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Busch Gardens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was really easy to get a job, as long as you apply early in the season. When I went in for the interview in was only a few minutes and I was hired on the spot. They were also very understanding when I found it hard to be in the direct sun for hours at a time and moved me to a position that was shaded.

Cons

I was told that I could have lunch or I could have short breaks every couple of hours, but not both. The long and the short of it is that you need to be able to stand on your feet for many hours at a time, no breaks. At least this was true for the job I did, which was photography. I went home most evenings crying from the pain of standing for so long.

It's a very unique environment that gives you invaluable experience.

Current Employee - Facility Supervisor
    Current Employee - Facility Supervisor

I have been working at Busch Gardens

Pros

You learn how to effectively troubleshoot problems and deal with guest concerns at a fast pace. Leadership is always either a few feet or a phone call away. There have been new ways to advance at the park into leadership positions. The pay is very fair. You become very close with the people you work with, which makes the work environment a lot less stringent than at other places of work. Any time there is an issue that you would like to be taken into consideration, supervisors will oftentimes take it directly to upper management for review. There are constant reviews of employees and employers, which keeps everyone accountable and aware of pitfalls. There are tons of benefits. Every employee gets 6 complimentary single day tickets for every park owned by SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment (except for discovery cove) after a trial period (30-60 days I believe) unless they are a rehire, then they get them immediately. The employee ID lets employees get 30% off everything in the park. There are a number of discounted passes and season passes available. Uniforms are free and fitted (however unflattering they are...). Employees are enrolled in a 401k and the company matches all funds taken out of the paycheck and put in it. There's also a park-perks store where employees often get items found in the park at a much cheaper price. It's hard to think of all of the benefits working here. There are tons of other opportunities as well like team nights with free food, surveys for more free tickets, etc. You will definitely get hours if you work here, which means great paychecks.

Cons

The company is extremely conservative, which means uniforms must be work a very specific way and are not the most flattering. Tattoo's are a no-no, but there are many employees who do have them. They mustn't be derogatory. No plugs, only 2 piercings in each ear for women, and no upper ear piercings. Hair mustn't be distracting. Nail varnish must be neutral. Plain black or white shoes, the list goes on. Supervisors will write you up for not following code. There are strict rules about attendance: being late often leads to being written up, not showing up means being written up, and even excused absences tend to lead to a write up. Being written up is not necessarily a bad thing, however, especially if it's about something minor. You won't get fired for being written up a few times about something minor, but you will get fired for several serious write-ups. Time off must be put in for approval 3 weeks early, but last minute emergencies do happen so they can be flexible. Compensation for injuries does not happen, usually they send you home and make you sign a form saying you won't hold them liable for your injury. Likewise, most injuries are minor because of all of the safety practices in place.

It would be great to include forms at each location for employees to voice concerns or recommendations and have the facility supervisors take them to their offices to put in management's mailboxes.

Awful

Former Employee - Retail Sales Handler in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Handler in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time

Pros

The environment was somewhat fun.

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible work conditions with little to no respect. Passed out at work because management wouldn't let me get a water break.

You have a lot of work to do to improve work conditions. Nobody should pass out at work because of refusal to go get water.

Great

Current Employee - Performer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Performer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Busch Gardens as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with who become life long friends.

Cons

The park never closes so you could work on holidays.

Howl O Scream Events

Current Employee - Event Stage Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Event Stage Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Busch Gardens as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing camaraderie among the actors/technicians/management for this event

Cons

Too bad this can't be a year around event! Not much in the way of training, but I knew I could always ask questions and get support.

Need to get away from paper reporting and create electronic forms!

A Disney you are not, but maybe use the mantra of Avis "We try harder"

Former Employee - Games Attendant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Games Attendant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are not many pros to the company other than unlimited access to a mediocre park and partial entry into its affiliates.

Cons

The pay is horrible for the amount of work they expect you to do. If you want punishment or to lose a considerable amount of weight work in Games in the dead of summer. It was a nightmare working at the this park. Games Hosts are discouraged from speaking to one another most of the time and the former manager was a tyrant who would not allow for bathroom breaks or medical attention. It was was like indentured servant work but with the fluff of an amusement park surrounding you. They offered a water cooler and ice in a trash can as refreshments for their team members. Don't work as a Games Host choose something different.

Employee retention should be your main goal. The reason Busch Gardens is failing, despite your futile attempt at building new rides, is the shear fact that many of your employees are unhappy and find it difficult to fake that with your guests. A Disney you are not, but maybe use the mantra of Avis "We try harder".

Great experience.

Former Employee - Cook in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cook in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting new people.
    Great environment.
    Caring employers.

Cons

Long hours.
    Long hours of consisting standing.
    Some rude customers.
    Hot and cold temperatures

Busch

Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Busch Gardens as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

supervisors were really cool, co workers were nice,

Cons

People can get rude sometimes becuase of the heat, long shifts sometimes

Busch Gardens Photos