Business Insider

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Fun startup culture

Reporter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTons of opportunities for growth and doing what you want to do

Great people, very positive environment

Huge audience for your stories

ConsTough place to be as an intern if you don't hit the cycle right. Sometimes they hire everyone, sometimes they don't hire anyone, and a lot of it has to do with what advertisers are interested in paying for. Also lacks transparency with interns about whether you'll get hired -- you feel like you're strung along for a long time before you have any notion, and then they tell everyone that if they have the funds you'll get hired, and then they end up taking no one. So don't go in with expectations that you'll get hired post internship.

Absolutely amazing

ProsLaid back, start up culture and so much room for growth.

ConsSometimes its hard to be on the same page with all the other employees, team work is usually critical to accomplish certain tasks

A great place to work.

Senior Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEnthusiastic team of people who really care about the product. Everyone really wants to do well. There's a healthy and competitive environment.

ConsIt's a young team, sometimes people need a little more guidance and handholding. Sometimes we work too much. There could be more communication between verticals of coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking employees feel like their contributions are invaluable is a great way to make sure people want to stick around and grow with the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sink or swim environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's an opportunity to get your foot in the door in the media world

ConsMetrics for success are rigid, and there is a decent amount of turnover

At least it was paid.

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking here can help you get a foot in the door in the media world. You get to be in New York City. Coworkers are friendly, want to help you improve.

ConsWork can be soul-crushing, intense focus on page view can keep you from working on what you're actually passionate about. "People don't care about that" is often heard around the newsroom. I guess no one thinks that as a media outlet, our job is to help people understand why they should care.

An Intense Opportunity

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou will learn a lot, you will not be treated like "just an intern", get to write a lot

ConsCompetitive environment, Fake "news" stories, hard to meet people there, make friends

Good career opportunities.

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some really great people here and if you know what you're doing, there's a lot of room for growth and flexibility.

ConsWe do have to deal with growing pains at times. This is not the ideal company for you to work for if you're unable to self-manage yourself.

When I am doing work, it doesn't feel like work.

ProsNo suits or ties. Ping pong tournaments. Food and drinks. Nobody looking over your shoulder or making sure you don't take long lunch breaks.

ConsThere is a lot to do and you never have down time, but that is part of why it is so good working there. The day goes by really fast and you have to organize your time wisely.

Writer, Business Insider

Writer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExecutive team is extremely smart and great to work with.

ConsIt still operates like a startup, so you're expected to do a lot at once. Very sink or swim.

Casual environment, open to new ideas

ProsRewards hard work and recognizes effort

ConsCould be too casual for those who like some corporate structure

Worked for Business Insider? Contribute to the Community!