Business Monitor International

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
1.9

Richard Hall

Pros
  • Good work life balance (because people are dying to leave the place) (in 8 reviews)

• Working hours are better than they used to be (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Under previous leadership (CEO and Sales) the Sales team were the clear favourites (they got ski trips (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is doing nothing but drive sales (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Career Growth

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Business Monitor International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Started out with a CS job and was given opportunity to try the Account Management role for a few months - after which I was given the choice to continue with my original role or progress upwards.
    Direct managers were on hand to provide training, guidance and advice. Any approvals or special requests were answered promptly.
    During my year with BMI I grown immensely career wise and this was mostly due to the help I was given by the Sales team, managers, analysts and the previous CEOs. The only way I got the help was because I listened to the rules and asked for help when I needed it.

Cons

As with other growing companies, revenue is important. Therefore chasing deals and opportunities, shorter turn around times are daily occurrences in the sales team.
    The analysts are sometimes being pegged to do pieces not in their tone of voice which for some may not work well.

Disclaimer: my reason for leaving had nothing to do with the cons, I was given an opportunity to move into a different industry which I wanted to break into for a long time.

Continue having reach out 1:1s with your global offices. It helps having to find out the good, bad and ugly.
    Change the commission structure for account managers - client retention is not only a key factor but it helps to grow your customer base organically.

Great place to work. Has changed a lot since the acquisition

Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Business Monitor International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New career path, growth opportunities and a fun work environment. They reward for performance here and there is a lot of investment in the company lately. Executives now sit in NY and Singapore as well as London. We feel much more connected

Cons

Our name isn't very well known like Bloomberg, but we are gaining a lot of ground and making our name well known. Maybe takes a bit longer to sell because we have to explain who we are

Keep being open as the previous management wasn't. The current management team is much more open to its employees and we feel like we are in this together

Worst Sales Team and Management

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Business Monitor International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is in the mid 70's

Cons

The company is very unorganized and lacks support from management. The product that they offer is in the market research space where there is plenty of competition and BMI's product and services does not offer much to separate from the other brands. They do not offer 401k.

Get a clue and learn about the market. Put better leaders in place.

Ambitious company with good opportunities

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

I moved to BMI because I was looking to continue my career in sales and wanted to sell an intellectually stimulating product, to blue chip clients across the US.
    I travel regularly to meet clients, meet C-Level prospects and apply content that influences their investment decisions. We sell a strong but complex product that is well received by clients.
     We have to work hard pretty hard to do this- management ask for high activity, but then which sales environments aren’t like that? BMI is a small brand in the US though, so there’s a lot to chase.
    I’ve worked in sales before so I know that it can be a challenging sector, but I’ve found a lot of success. The commission scheme is open and transparent- I know what I can achieve every month/quarter.
    The sales team work very closely with the research team who are always keen to assist on deal making. Many times, they have been able to provide some very detailed unique views that have been well received by clients. Even when clients have held an alternate view, they’ve been able to back up their findings.
    As a sales environment the people are awesome- some really talented guys who I enjoy spending time with outside of work.
    If you are a driven sales person who wants to develop their career with a interesting product, this is a good place for you.

Cons

Senior management can feel a bit remote- would be good to see them more regularly.
    Technology can be frustrating - systems support could be better.
    Would be good to see more marketing support for online product rather than the print reports.

Invest more in marketing- will help us a lot in the US.
    Get more involved with the US and be more visible.

Best Career Move!

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Business Monitor International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the business for 15 years and after working at various reserach firms and banks I finally found the firm where I feel it is my best career move. The team is solid, management has been consistent since inception about 28 years now. Currently developing the US markets find the research to be robust and the analysts extremely experienced. This environment works for those that have the "appettite" for success, those that are not hungry enough will leave dissapointed, without making enough money or commissions. The commision rate is above market, salaries competitive and opportunities without limit. A young graduate started 3 years ago out of school, and became a team manager, succesful sales person, and well versed in the markets thanks to the deep training we go through since the day we start. BMI encourages personal growth and development.

Cons

Training process is standardized, meaning, that an experienced sales person has to go through the same training as an inexperienced one. This is a painstaking process since things seem obvious, but I found it helpful and even though some times tedious, and now I understand that there is a method to BMI that must be followed.
    The team is young, thus creating a perception that they cannot deal with the "top" guys. Again, this is just perception as I just realize the more I interact with the team.

Keep searching for good talent, continue to encourage them to grow and support their efforts. BMI has a strong research product to back up the name, and BMI's employees should reflect the same. Aim to keep the talent, and definitely let go of what is not working.

A place where young intelligent people who want to succeed go...to get taken advantage of

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Business Monitor International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job. That pays. Pretty poorly.

Cons

Incompetent management. They are so shistey about commission. Saw more then a few people not receive the amounts they were due while they were there. They fire all of the smartest employees, bad mouth the ones that are smart enough to leave, and promote the only ones left---hence how terrible management comes to be.

Treat your employees with more respect. Reward those who succeed with the commission they earned. Pretty simple.

This is a terrible place to work, low pay and barely any benefits

Current Employee - New Business Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New Business Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Business Monitor International

Pros

I can;t think of any cons with the exception the the US staff members are friendly.

Cons

Terrible management of the UK style. They like to give the best opportunities to non-Americans who they put here from the UK offices when the could hire qualified New Yorkers. The opportunities exist only for those under the Queens domain.

Get your act together and understand this office is based in NYC and not London. You can't sell into the market like you do in London. Hiring practices are very biased against New Yorkers for higher level roles.

Too much changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Business Monitor International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remuneration is acceptable, colleagues are generally nice and helpful. There's work life balance. On rare occasions you would be expected to work late.

Cons

- Management direction is questionable. Everyone is so desperate for sales, couldn't care less if their products matches or fit the clients need.
    - Clients are often caught in a scenario because of the company's auto renewal policy, sales team bother to manage client's expectation
    - No sales guidelines. Everything is just so messed up.
    - High turnover rate, especially after the Fitch acquisition

Stop focusing on driving sales. Take a step back to understand what your clients truly need and how to enhance your products.
    Sales will naturally come over you have an above par product

Huge underinvestment in product - get experience and leave

Pros

Friendly colleages who are easy to get on with. Senior analysts extremely competent

Cons

Publications look like they belong in the 80s. Poor opportunities for career progression. Work is very repetitive.

Implement serious re-branding of all publications: need to be brought in line with other information providers. Pictures and colour wouldn't go amiss in the weekly print publications!!

AVOID!

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good offices close by St paul station

Cons

Bad and vicious Management...
    Weak culture
    racist if you aren't White English
    bullying and abuse

you need to start all over and stop acting like you do as no one respects you but instead laugh at you.