Business Objects

Add Photos

Business Objects CEO and Director John G. Schwarz

John G. Schwarz

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ok first job out of university

Software Test Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Business Objects full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnice office
lots of smart people
big company so lots of room for growth
training conferences if you have been with the company with a long time

Consonly on the job training
expected to know exactly what you're doing from day one
mediocre pay

Fun environmnet

Conscompetition in patch
reduced patch size

it is ok

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Business Objects

Prosbusiness object is a good place to work at. people are nice there, and the pay is not bad. recommended.

Consthe raise is not big each year even your performance is over average. also office politics is another factor that affects promotion and raise.

Advice to Senior Managementbuilding a good relationship with both your supervisor and your team members are equally important to your career path in business object.

my thoughts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosteam work environment
technical knowledge sharing
regonized by managment
well and detail employee training program
work life balance
fun place to work

Conscompany decision is unclear
lay off emplyoees when company being bought.
salary is lower than average on job market
internal paper works

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the employees. company is expanding. finance is good yet employees are still being laid off after the merging with SAP.

Good software company in Vancouver

I have been working at Business Objects

ProsGreat office location, relaxed working environment, smart people, teams that get work done on time and with good quality. Not much overtime required.

ConsNot much training. Innovation is "encouraged" but most decisions come from top down. Cross site development is difficult. Projects take sometimes years to complete / ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the organization is always undergoing changes in management and structure. After several times of going through change and not seeing much difference I am wondering if there is really much benefit to restructuring so much.

Expectations of this company was higher, however started there at the same time the were bought by SAP

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Business Objects

ProsEmployee sales training course and sales methodology

ConsNo clear direction for sales staff, target customers/Account base changed too many times.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear direction

Used to be a lot better before SAP.

Technical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Business Objects

ProsGood pay. Good benefits. Some good people. Office has a gym/games room.

ConsAggressive performance metrics based on closure of customer incidents. All incidents are counted the same regardless of difficulty. This leads to some employees working the system by insisting all customers create new incident's for each small question.

Mandatory "on call" overtime which is payed at a flat rate regardless of how much work is actually done.

No raise in 2 years.

Rare to find opportunities to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more reliance on customer satisfaction, and less on incidents closed. Make after hours support optional.

SAP ruined Business Objects

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Business Objects

ProsIf you are straight out of college, entry-level or don't have experience selling to larger companies Bobj is a good place to get your footing in the technology sales industry.

The Vancouver office is very well equipped with parking on the roof (pay), multiple kitchens, a lounge, a sleeping room and a full-sized gym with yoga room, onsite massage therapy and games room.

ConsSAP has not handled this acquisition well. Two years later, we still don't know what products we can sell and how to sell them. We cannot even provide a price quote to our prospects without confirming with multiple groups that the pricing policy is the same as the week before and approvals are the same. Commissions are rarely paid on time and correctly, and our on target earnings are 30k less than they were last year. Nobody in this office has any power to influence the decisions that affect our jobs and our productivity. There are too many roadblocks to doing our jobs - it's like this company is trying to make it impossible for us to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk front-line employees how they would recomment improvements be made

A good place to start a career.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Business Objects

ProsBusiness Objects was a medium sized tech firm. It was a great place to work if you wanted to experience Big Company life without having to take a position at a large company.

This was a great place to implement ideas, if you were willing to follow through on them yourself. Even our interns were developing features in our products (perhaps 10% of the engineering staff were interns, most of whom were working on shippable features).

Really good salary for new grads.

The Vancouver office is very well located. (From what I can tell, most of their big offices have great locations).

People are very friendly and easy to get along with.

ConsThere's not a lot of community recognition. If you drop the name at a party, you'll almost always get blank stares. This is even more true now that they have been purchased by SAP -- the brand recognition in the tech community of either Business Objects or SAP is unfortunately low.

The salary, at least in Vancouver, is really high for new graduates, and really low for people with some experience. It was very common for someone to start working at BOBJ right out of school and make 10k more than their peers at other companies. However, in three years, they would be make 20-40k less than the same people elsewhere.

The product is made for the business sector, this may not be interesting for many purely technical people.

There are very, very few perks for working for this employer. You come to the office, you do some work, you go home and get a cheque in the mail. They do offer bike storage, a gym and a foosball table, but that's about it.

Over time, the office has lost more and more benefits. Stock options are gone, stock purchase plans are gone, health benefits are getting worse every year, retirement benefits get worse every year, bonus payout formulas are constantly readjusted to lower the payout (or so it seems), company bar-b-q's are being cancelled, etc. All of the good reasons for working here are systematically being removed, and there is no replacement.

There is very little company loyalty amongst employees.

In the development side of the business there is a huge stigma associated with being a Software Developer. There are basically two kinds of people: Developers, and everyone else (QA, translation staff, IT, PgM, Tech Writers, etc.). If you weren't a developer, you were looked down upon -- this was especially noticeable during bonus time or salary review time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't stay here long term for a reason. You should really look at how you can increase long term retention.

Work environment changed for the worse, even just during the two years I was there.

Technical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Business Objects

ProsFlexibility for work-life balance, working from home and time off for family. Benefits kick in before 3 month probationary period is over, opportunity for advancement.

ConsSAP acquisition has changed the culture and cost many people their jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Business Objects? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Business Objects reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Business Objects CEO John G. Schwarz. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Business Objects employees.