Business Objects

Business Objects Reviews

3.4

Business Objects CEO and Director John G. Schwarz
John G. Schwarz

Used to be a wonderful company to work for, but a lot of uncertainty now with SAP acquisition.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

Great corporate culture, good benefits, competitive salary. Some of the smartest people I have worked with in my career have been at Business Objects. It is great to be working for the industry leader in business intelligence. Great knowledge-sharing environment. Company is supportive of volunteerism and work-life balance.

Cons

SAP acquisition has created a lot of uncertainty. Business Objects used to have a great small company culture but is now part of the large, bureaucratic SAP. Many great people are leaving the company to pursue other opportunities. Layoffs as part of acquisition have created some bitterness and uncertainty among the remaining employees.

Don't ruin the wonderful culture of this company!

All the bureaucracy of a large corporation and some of the benefits.

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

Global business with opportunities to work around the world. Generous vacation benefit since the SAP acquisition.

Cons

Career growth and compensation are hit or miss. Some will experience no career growth and sub-par compensation even after years of excellent performance reviews.

The annual performance review system is not working. The disparity in salaries and titles depends partly on tenure, personality and circumstance but seemingly not at all on performance. This is starting to feel like a government job.

Was once a great place to work, now lets see if they can get that back post SAP.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

A very relaxed atmosphere. Good benefits and for the most part you are not micro-manged. The company is fairly good at recognizing employees and making sure that there is a balance between work and home life.

Cons

The company is currently undergoing an integration with SAP. All the problems one would expect are now popping up.

Listen to the voice of the people on the front line. Overall management at BO is good. There is a sense that they do care about the organization and the people that work in it.

Challenging times but still a good place to work.

Current Employee - Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

The people you work with are passionate about what they do. Every day you are challenged and learning something new. The physical office environment is open and encourages collaboration.

Cons

The integration has brought a lot of uncertainty. People are being laid off when they said there would not be people laid off. People are unsure about their jobs.

Be open and honest with employees throughout integration.

Was a great company to work in, awesome knowledge acquisition

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Business Objects

Pros

Great people network around the world
    All the place I've been working was really well furnished.
    High end product, usage of many inovative features
    Ability to work in many place
    Their customer satifaction is another good idea
    This company is also well known to pay above average salaries.

Cons

The recent acquisition which will become another so big company with no leadership
    Some unconstructible management decisions from the last 2 years
    Do not have enough communication for their product, at least in Europe
    Their current strategy isn't as clear at it was when they dealed with only BI customer, now with customs solutions for various domain (HR, banking), it is harder to have a good vision of all their product.

Regular developper could have very good idea of the market, it is not exclusive or analyst or gartner chart!

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior II Test Developer in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Senior II Test Developer in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

Great people, caring, rewarding, challenging projects , always something new every day, never boring

Cons

too much work, time management critical

Great job keeping people focused and for providing an awesome array of opportunities

Remember the good ol' days

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Business Objects

Pros

The work ethics of my peers and the way that employees used to be treated. Compensation was fair and there was a clear understanding of the importance of personal development.

Cons

Lack of honest communication from Senior Management and clear articlulation of the future of the company. Change management component of the acquisition was/continues to be an abysmal failure. Also, some of the EMEA management team lacks and understanding of the way to effectively manage in a global setting which leads to an us against them mentality.

Be honest...trust your employees...they are smarter than you give them credit for. Don't let people make it up because they don't have a clue what is going on.

Good company faces uncertainty in wake of acquisition

Former Employee - Decline to State in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Decline to State in San Jose, CA

I worked at Business Objects

Pros

Knowledgeable and helpful team.
    Collegial environment (depending on what group you are in).
    Getting involved in projects outside of your domain is encouraged.
    Now part of SAP (helps with "brand recognition" value for resume).
    Very good benefits (French origins contribute to that)

Cons

Uncertainty associated with acquisition by SAP.
    Senior management was not very communicative after the SAP acquisition was announced.
    Certain departments not particularly accommodating to alternative or flexible work schedules

Overcommunicate. There was an interview in yesterday's Wall St. Journal with AT&T Wireless' leader, and this was the word he used to describe what the most important thing management can do during an acquisition. At Business Objects, after the SAP acquisition, rumors abounded and were permitted to fester (and still do). That's why the leadership needs to overcommunicate about what's going on with the acquisition.

Business Objects once 1 of the greatest companies to work for...now a dark and dismal land mine since SAP acquisition.

Current Employee - Program Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Business Objects

Pros

Business Objects prior to SAP merger had attracted some of the most creative and intelligent people to work with. This allowed for a positive, collaborative, and successful work environment which was very focused towards excellence and customer success. The company mission was- Unlock the power of information to improve the performance of organizations. It was easy to support a product and company whose entire focus was to provide enlightenment to their customers. Creating a product to harness the power of infinite amounts of data trapped within databases and spreadsheets and transforming it into information. Working for a company whose product helps its customers to work smarter, not harder in its self made BOBJ a fantastic company to work for. In addition, the company core values seemed to permeate through every department. At Business Objects, the culture was originally fostered by unique attributes referred to as core values that translated to who we were and the way we did business. These core values were...Leadership, Integrity, Passion, Innovation, Transnational Teamwork and Customer Success. These were the elements of our business, of our people, and of our success. In fact the very founding value was transnational identity – which delivers the notion that good ideas can come from anywhere, and shouldn’t be rejected just because they come from an unexpected source, like an independent French developer. The success of Business Objects was based on the value of its people. Every decision seemed to be founded on the belief that the success of the organization depended on it's employees: The company performance reflected what it's employees brought to their job. It was never "just a job"....it was a passion for excellence!

Cons

Since the merger with SAP, Business Objects is no longer the same company. It's Leaders and employees are leaving or being laid-off in droves. The environment is very tense and negative and it has already begun to affect every area of the company. It is no longer a safe or productive environment to build a career.

Since the merger with SAP, Business Objects is no longer the same company. Before I was an employee, I was a customer and had the opportunity to speak with Bernard Liautaud who so passionately understood and was the foundation and essence of his company as it flourished and grew. I am sure it was a very complicated decision to sell the company to SAP. It is impossible to explain to an ERP software company with +60k employees the importance passion and value played and more importantly why the human people in the company were the true strategic value although I know they have tried. Business Intelligence is simply not meant to be managed like ERP....it appeared that BOBJ learned this many years ago but now have forgotten. The core values that were evangelized to the employees of the company were not just words...we made them our lifeblood and could always count on our management and peers to equally bleed Leadership, Integrity, Passion, Innovation, Transnational Teamwork and Customer Success as this was what made this company extraordinary. I believe the true value and understanding of BI has been greatly underestimated. BI requires creativity and communication well beyond what fits into the neat confines of the black and white ERP world....BI requires the full spectrum of the color from within the businesses they serve. It was never the cogs and sprockets that made Business Objects the Number 1 Business Intelligence software in the world....it was the passion for excellence from it's people.
    One last point to say that I do not believe John Schwarz is completely aware of how dark a place BOBJ has become.

Fun and well paid

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Business Objects full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary, good life, good balance.

Cons

Far from city centre, need transportation.

Business Objects Photos

Business Objects HQ (Photo thanks to Wikipedia Commons user Blone, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo