Business Wire

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cathy Baron Tamraz

Very thankful for the job stability, but internal job growth is VERY stagnant and salaries are well below industry avgs.

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsStable job and interesting market and product. Most people are really nice, but NO one has a good word to say about staying long term.

ConsPoor management communications and internal employee relations. Salary is well below average -- even for long term employees

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees in a positive tone versus defensive. Pay long term employees more than 3% raises.

Great Experience Working for Business Wire

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed working for Business Wire due to the great people, benefits, vacation time, 401K match, etc. Very forward-thinking company that puts employees and clients first. As part of the sales team, I was never pressured to sell products inappropriate to clients' needs and I always felt valued by the company and clients. A great way to gain exposure to a lot of different industries by working with a wide variety of clients and get experience presenting/selling to people at all levels.

ConsNo telecommuting, a lot of long-time employees which is usually a pro, but some have been there so long they are opposed to change (and in technology you are always changing) and they get really grumpy. Note it is not the senior level employees that are opposed to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSqueaky wheels usually get the grease, but sometimes they just need replaced. If an employee is constantly complaining, it's ok to let them go and bring fresh ideas and attitudes to the team.

Low Class company---worst I have worked for!

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsHealth Insurance and benefits are good, salaries low

ConsFrugile, cheap. As of 2013 they changed compensation plan where sales people no longer get paid on new business, took away coffee, consolidated management to cut costs, and count pennies on expenses. CEO Cathy Tamraz and COO Phyllis have no business being executives They are outdated and have no idea how business is run in 2013. As an example, neither has Linkedin profiles nor would I be surprised if they even knew what that meant.. The morale of the company is extremely low and employees are treated as a number. Very poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Listen to your employees. You can start by reading your reviews on Glassdoor. Company is in financial problems and they need to wake up!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business is going downhill -PR Newswire and Market Wired is taking all our customers

Management (Current Employee)

ProsLots of vacation days for managers, no working after hours, you don't get a laptop, rarely have to work after hours especially for managers.

ConsSalaries for all is very low compared to other like industries, raises are so small it's insulting, all software used internally are made in house, so if you ever leave this place, your knowledge of the most commonly used softwares such as Outlook, etc, you will be at a huge disadvantage because BW is so behind on keeping up with technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementSorry to say, most of management has never worked at any other company therefore no outside experience to draw from. Many in Upper management are closed minded and think their routine way is the only way to do business.
    They came straight out of college and grew up at Business Wire. The downside, is the same results, problems with customer retention and bringing on new flagship accounts. We are losing business to our competition because we keep doing things the old fashion way.

Don't...

(Current Employee)

ProsBusiness Wire is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, a Fortune 10 company, although it's hard to tell. It's a decent place to work if you're a recent graduate, returning to the workplace, desperate for a job or just need something to do.

ConsCareer advancement is limited and pay, including raises, is subpar. The company is really frugal and lacks direction. The work is tedious and boring, policies are archaic and it feels like management doesn't care. As a result, morale is low. With the job market improving, good people are leaving or looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company = motivation, compensation, and innovation. Everybody wins this way.

Low pay .... low moral

ProsNice people to work with

ConsLots of people complaining that the company is cheap. They took our coffee away from the break room last week.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good talent from leaving

don't work here

ProsYou don't have to take your work home with you.

ConsManagement treats employees like children. The level of pay is low, yet the level of responsibility and dedication that is expected is extremely high. There is no incentive to do more than the minimum required, and there are few if any opportunities for advancement. I don't believe I have ever worked for a company that has a lower level of morale than this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should take some time to walk the floor and get to know the people who work for them. It is not hard to get a measure of how low morale is by doing this, and it wouldn't take a lot of heavy lifting to improve things, even if only a bit.

Look at all the reviews....this place is misery on earth

Senior Editor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIf you like running press releases through a system that formats into wire friendly format over and over again for horrible pay, that's a positive. Oh, and even though they hire you as an "editor", none of us read any of the releases. One of the biggest lies that senior management will claim is a valued differentiator of our business is that we actually read and edit the press releases. Somebody start anonymously polling editors at this company and all of them will agree we are simply doing monkey work in a cubicle.

ConsLow pay, micromanaged by imbeciles, mindless work, sales people are arrogant and don't do jack themselves, everybody sits and complains because its the worst company ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe press release business is a dying business, bad investment Warren Buffett. Huge margins but company will go the way of blockbuster and tape cassettes soon.

Only come here if you're desperate for a job.

Editor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-Excellent benefits: 401(k), medical, dental and vision reimbursements. Also reimbursements for fitness, education and commuting.
    -Very stable job security. Only a few layoffs (less than 5 that I'm aware of) in the 50-year history of the company.
    -Salary is higher than most other editorial jobs at this level.

ConsI posted my original review last year and gave BW a 3 out 5. Since then, I've become more dissatisfied and after reading some other reviews on this page, felt like giving an update.

-For the most part, the work is tedious and boring. It can be exciting to work with big news announcements, and you do get the occasional adrenaline rush from working under deadline. But usually, you're just doing a modified form of data entry.

-Upper management is completely clueless and condescending. They make zero effort in listening to the rank-and-file, yet expect us to hang on every word they have to say.

-Supervisors only care about impressing those above them, and not trying to earn and maintain the respect of their subordinates. Come to think of it, this attitude permeates Business Wire at all levels. This is also true among editors, who will stab their fellow colleagues in the back if it will make themselves look better. Everyone is only looking out for themselves (there are a few exceptions, however, yet they are rare).

-The standards for new hires are non-existent. You'd think that at the minimum, they'd want people with some experience in writing, editing, communications, handling deadline pressure, etc. But they'll hire anyone regardless of experience and this introduces a learning curve that's steeper than it should be. This becomes a great hindrance when things get particularly hectic in the newsroom.

-It's almost impossible to get fired. While some may see this as a "pro," it actually means that many editors slack a lot and are widely incompetent, yet are still kept around for some reason. Those who try to put in an honest effort have to pick up the slack for others.

-Ridiculous time-off policies. During the quarterly earnings periods, editors aren't allowed to schedule any days off for vacation, etc. These periods last for 4-5 weeks, so that's a little over 1/3 of the year in total. Meanwhile, these periods aren't nearly as busy as management would have you believe. The New York office is the busiest in terms of volume, yet I only see minor upticks in the workload during earnings. I don't know if this is typical elsewhere. Maybe editors in other offices who read this can chime in with their opinions?

-Internet access is blocked except to certain finance news sites which we have to monitor as part of our duties. They think productivity will drop otherwise, yet everybody ELSE has the internet unblocked (including supervisors, management, account executives, customer service folks, basically everyone except editors). We do, however, have access to sites such as MTA.info, NJTransit.com, weather.com, and some others. But we can't check sports scores or anything like that.

-If we get sick and have to call out for the day, it gets noted in our annual reviews. They actually punish us for getting sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the editors like children and start giving credit where credit is due. Institute some way for editors to provide anonymous feedback to the higher levels.

Stable company but low morale runs through the organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Job stability
    - Good benefits (health care, 401k match etc)
    - PTO time (four weeks after three years)
    - Located in the Financial District

Cons- Low morale
    - CEO/CIO/Executives are oblivious to what's really going on within the organization
    - Minuscule raises
    - Lack of innovative projects

Advice to Senior ManagementCBT, take note of what's really happening in the market before it's too late.

Worked for Business Wire? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Business Wire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Business Wire CEO Cathy Baron Tamraz. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Business Wire employees.