Business.com (Dex One)

www.dexone.com

Business.com (Dex One) Reviews

3.1

Alfred Mockett

Culture is 2nd to none!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is refreshing to actually enjoy coming to work everyday. Leadership allows you to be creative and in many ways entrepreneurial in your approach to your role every day. Everyone is open and easy to bounce ideas off of and the culture is what every company should have.

Cons

Smaller company with growing pains

Hire the right people, those that want to work hard and grow with the company.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked at Business.com for over a year and can honestly say that I'm happy there. I feel like I am given the opportunity to step up and contribute to sizable projects. Given that I'm not an executive, it's pretty motivating to have a voice.

Cons

The company is growing fast so there are some growing pains. I've been in the work force long enough to accept that every company has its own challenges and in my opinion, the cons are minimal.

Continue asking for employee input, keep the company events - they go a long way

Poor Leadership

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I hate to sound redundant from all other posts but the benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Even though managers at Business.com pay lip service to the importance of mutual understanding and shared commitment to a course of action, often their real focus is on winning the argument rather than strengthening the connection with their employees. Worse, the imbalance goes so far that having one’s point of view prevail is what is understood as leadership.

It’s a shame that few managers know how to lead nor do they make an effort to take leadership courses. Simply having an advanced education or having 10+ years of work experience does not qualify as being an expert leader. Times are changing; an executive’s job is no longer to command and control but rather to cultivate and coordinate – the two things lacking in this company. To achieve an efficient running organization, it is not only imperative to have a product or service that everyone wants/needs but it’s as equally important to have the people of that organization feel as if they are part of a community that is striving uniformly towards the same goal. They also have to have a clear vision of what that goal is otherwise they are just lost lambs wondering with no direction.
    The lack of caring and leadership at Business.com is a recipe for disaster. The company’s morale is low and at the first sign of the economy improving, many good employees will leave.

Lastly, I can't fathom how managers expect loyalty from their subordinates when they themselves are not willing to be loyal to their own direct reports.

To summarize - the company lacks vision, lacks leadership, lacks loyalty, and most importantly, for such a small company it has poor communication across departments.

Take the time to know and analyze the problems that exist in your teams. Be open to the fact that the problem may well indeed be that your leadership style isn't working. Invest in your employees!

Think twice

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a few (let me reiterate – a few) things that are good at Business.com. First the benefits are pretty good and anyone else, but management, are great to work with. Some of the company events are fun to attend as well.

Cons

Think twice before accepting a job here. Initially when you interview it seems like a great place to work; unfortunately that is far from the truth. Business.com claims they are expanding rapidly but what they are really doing is hiring and then letting go of employees after only being at the company for a few months. Management is hiring without doing an analysis of what they really need. They simply hit a few weeks of long hours and think they need another body. They hire someone then realize they don’t need you anymore and kick you to the curb.

I don’t think Management knows how to hire and plan for steady growth. They come up with this “ingenious idea” and they go on a hiring spree to prepare for this “ingenious idea” then suddenly realize they shouldn’t have hired so many bodies and begin to let go of people. Most of the people are miserable there but Management (starting from the very top of the hierarchy) does not want to acknowledge it. They think that adding a few simple perks and applying for “Best Place to Work” will make up for the low morale in the office.

Please take your time hiring new employees. Many of us have families and other financial obligations. It’s not fair to kick us to the curb just because you didn’t think it through initially. Many of us move to be closer to the office so letting us go just after a few months is inconsiderate as well.

Also, please, please change the office morale! If you don’t, you’re going to lose some really great employees.

Do not leave your job to come here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Very good health benefits for the employee and there are a lot of great employees. Company is basically new so there is hopefully opportunity for it to change and grow.

Cons

Difficult place to work. The environment is very tense and this stems from leadership. Not required to work tons of hours, but the stress level is high.

While health benefits are good, others are lacking. Only 6 paid vacation days per year and only 12 days off (this includes sick days and vacation), so don't get sick. On top of that pay levels are not competitive. Beers on Friday are nice, but a work life balance (fair number of holidays and vacation) make for attractive benefits.

Senior leadership does not respect and rarely solicits input from it's employees, there is no transparency, and there is a culture of secrecy and closed doors, which leads to an extreme sense of insecurity.

Listen to your employees. There are a lot of good ones and so many good ideas. Your employees are your greatest asset. Help them feel secure by changing the culture of closed doors and whispers. Transparency goes a long way.

manage accounts

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Open, flat environment, easy access to management,great benefits package

Cons

poor communication from Senior Management to employees

There is always room for improvement. Good luck

Enter with Caution

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

- 25 cent vending machines
    - free lunches and bagel fridays
    - fun people open to teaching and helping across teams

Cons

- lack of leadership and direction
    - uncertain future - merging with parent company Dex One Interactive

Save the trees and invest in Internet products.

Was great, DexOne culture has ruined the place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Nice office and fun people make work enjoyable. Lunch in office twice a week. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Nothing ever comes from your work! When it was a stand alone company, it moved fast and got projects done quickly and well. Now, the bulk of people's time (even engineers) is spent fighting with DexOne about why the Internet is an important place to invest and how Print Yellow Pages are dead.

I real don't know what to tell you at this point because I think it's too late. Anything you could do to isolate Business.com from it's parent so BDC could get back to work.

Make over $100k at one of the best places to work in Los Angeles

Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Business.com (Dex One)

Pros

Money
    Ability to break into the Online Advertising space with no experience
    Excellent sales training
    Catered Lunches
    Casual Work Environment

Cons

Nobody knows who we are
    Lots of cold calls in the AE job
    Lots of prospect rejection

Give us a good solid direction for where the company is going and how our work contributes to that direction. Then we'll be really motivated.