Businessolver

Businessolver Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014

Jon Shanahan

good place to work if you like to be micromanaged

Current Employee - CSM
    Current Employee - CSM

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great technology, happy clients for the most part. fun office

Cons

Massive employee turnover. Management in Client Services below the SVP level is poor.

Trust people

Hard work in a fast-paced environment

I have been working at Businessolver full-time

Pros

Top notch people and technology - easily the best I've worked with.

Cons

This is a difficult business that is not the right fit for all people. High expectations from both internal and external partners can be a real challenge. Not for the feint of heart.

Don't lose sight of what got you to the level of success you enjoy.

Fast paced and young environment

Current Employee - Systems Relationship Manager  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Relationship Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth and opportunities are available

Cons

Salary is weak and no raises

Give more money to loyal employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most reviews here are true

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for less than a year

Pros

I do like the fact that they have free food and drinks, it has saved me a lot of money. I also like the fact that I get to travel every now and then. The job itself is interesting, and there is always more to learn.

Cons

Like the other reviews stated, if you can't handle a high workload or a fast paced environment, this place is not for you. They do tell you in training that it is "creative chaos" and that if you feel overwhelmed, speak up. I have spoken up several times, only to be ignored by senior management, because they are also too busy to handle anything extra. I'm not sure what the exact turnover is, but I know several people have left in just a few short months. Some on my team, some on others, and when I have spoken to them, it is mainly because of the heavy workload, and the inability to receive assistance. Another reason that people leave is because they have been promoted to a higher position, and not compensated for it. I have heard this from at least 6 people that I work closely with. So yes, you do get promoted pretty easily, but getting compensated for taking on more work is extremely difficult.

SLOW DOWN! We know what the business model is, and yes, we know you want to be industry dominators, but you really need to think about how you are going about this. Employees end up hating their job, and their co-workers. The VP of operations even made excuses as to why people were leaving in a meeting I had with her, and for some reason, she never mentioned the fact that they were overworked. They are in denial, or trying to hide this fact from their employees.

Stressful with no compensation

Current Employee - Participant Services  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Participant Services in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very fast paced and it changes all the time. If this place is one thing- it's very very fast. You will change seats multiple times a year. Move between floors and genrally never stay in one spot. If you like this atmosphere than this place is for you.
    The culture while overwhelming does foster a sense of unity and team work.
    There are catered meals which can help make it feel more like a home.

Cons

This place is incredibly demanding. They will ask alot of you and more often than not there is very little financial incentive in return. There are no years or annual raises- in fact the only way to get a raise is to badger your manager until they send it up to the CEO himself to sign off on. What company does that??? This causes an extensive lag time if you are ever deemed worthy of a raise.
    There is also definitely a sense of favoritism amongst employees and if you are not "one of them" you will be ostracized.
    The work load is over bearing and you will feel burned out- everyone says it's normal and "typical" but you should never tell people on there first day "people always cry during Open Enrollment"

That's not a good thing to promote

Consider slowing down the growth so the employee can catch their breath and work on establishing good relationships with clients. Instead of making it a whirlwind everyday which inevitably leads to clients leaving.

Growing company that is failing to keep up with growth.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super culture, very employee centric. Fun engagement activities and lots of food. Young staff, tons of opportunities to do different things. Fantastic system for Ben admin. Slick and user friendly.

Cons

They still want to run this company as if there are 100 employees. It's too big now to be "fly by the seat of your pants" but that's what it feels like. They also keep selling and winning new deals but don't have nearly enough experienced staff so the ones who know what they are doing work like dogs until they quit. Turnover is out of control.... Seen people leave after a matter of weeks.

Slow down on sales until you get staff trained appropriately.

Believe the reviews (the ones that are clearly not made up my management)

I have been working at Businessolver for more than a year

Pros

Very talented, awesome co-workers (I wish I could take a lot of them with me to opportunities elsewhere). Food provided (as previously mentioned) is a nice perk.

Cons

Where to begin....Most of the accurate reviews have already hit on the complaints of the overwhelming majority of employees. Simply put: you cannot hire high-achieving individuals and create an atmosphere where they are constantly set up to fail, or made to feel they are failing, and not expect them to be miserable and hate their jobs. Regardless of whether you "set your boundaries" or work excessive hours year-round, you will constantly be made to feel like it's never enough and you should be doing more.

It's very unfortunate you feel it's "not your problem" when people are unhappy and wanting to quit. You cannot continue to hire the caliber of people you are hiring and treat them this way--Des Moines is too small of a market to continue to garner this reputation. Your clients feel it too.

Current employee - 6yrs definately not your boring job!

Current Employee - Product Development, Business Analyst - Compliance  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Product Development, Business Analyst - Compliance in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a real review and not made up as previously accused. The company does not know I am writing this. I have been with Businessolver for 6 years now and have never had a lack of work. There is always opportunity for growth and learning. This definately isn't a place for someone that isn't willing to dig in and get their hands dirty. Lots of very talented individuals.

Cons

With growth comes change. You must be able to adapt and go with the flow. But there is absolutely potential for a rewarding career. You have to know your personal limits to ensure a good work/home balance.

Try to keep the family oriented atmosphere.

Great company with great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

You won't be bored, and that's a guarantee. This is a fast-paced company FULL of opportunity. They work really hard to engage employees - making sure employees stay engaged in their work to make sure they care about delighting clients. Employees are expected to work hard, but are treated very well in return - spoiled with the catered meals and fully stocked kitchen, lots of fun activities, on-site gym, etc. This is somewhere that I feel like my work is really valued and that makes me excited about coming in day after day! The technology is great, which makes it easy to stand behind.

Cons

At times I've struggled with being overwhelmed - in a growing company where everyone strives for perfection, the pressure can get to you sometimes. The good news with regards to work-life balance is that YES, there are absolutely crazy busy times when you don't feel like you can catch up - but the benefits business is cyclical. You (for the most part) know when your super busy times will be and can mentally prepare!

Keep treating your employees well. Keep being approachable - working here and being able to approach the executive team when I have concerns has been fantastic and knowing we have your support makes us want to work harder to make BSC successful.

Almost but not quite there yet...

I have been working at Businessolver

Pros

Fun environment with a lot of great opportunities. You will learn and see a lot in a short time. Very fast paced company where things change all the time (can be a con if that's not something you like). Great place to boost your resume. CEO is very approachable!

Cons

You will work a lot of hours with little to no down time. If you're looking for work - life balance, this is not the place for you. You will not get a review yearly and therefore will not have annually increases (make sure to negotiate your salary at hiring process).

This could be a really an awesome place to work but you are burning out your employees. Really listen to what they are saying and MAKE (not promise) some REAL changes otherwise you will lose a lot of great talented employees.

Worked for Businessolver? Contribute to the Community!