Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania)

www.bc3.edu

CEO

1. Excellent People to Work For

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Butler, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Dean allows me to conduct my class as I see fit. As long as I am adhering to the class descriptions and objectives, I am free to create the teaching environment I feel is conducive to student learning.

Cons

Difficult to obtain full time status. Most of the faculty is adjunct or part time. So there are no benefits as well.

Advice to Management

You have a great school dedicated to serving students. All of the staff I have interacted with have been friendly and helpful. The lack of advancement to full time is very frustrating.

2. Satisfying but limiting.

Current Intern - IT Work Study in Butler, PA
    Current Intern - IT Work Study in Butler, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience with Information Technology system.

Cons

As a student, authorization was an issue. Limiting tasks.

3. Butler County Community College is a wonderful place to work.

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania)

Pros

BC3 offers a flexible schedule, cooperative colleagues, and technical support. Also offer varied courses to teach.

Cons

I could use more hours.

Advice to Management

Upper management communicates often with faculty and offers ongoing training and development.

5. Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Professional Tutor
    Current Employee - Professional Tutor

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) part-time

Pros

Everyone at the college is welling to help yoou out and so friendly.

Cons

I work in the tutoring department, and communication between students can lack sometimes.

Advice to Management

Pay scale for no-show and cancellations

6. Interesting and very challenging

Former Employee - Network Support Specialist in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Network Support Specialist in Butler, PA

I worked at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gave you a chance to improve yourself

Cons

Didn't seem to reward achievement or recognize individual effort.

Advice to Management

Improve communications between departments

7. I truly enjoy teaching and enjoy the small campus familiarity.

Current Employee - Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania)

Pros

The small campus allows for teachers to know students by name and major. It also encourages communication between student and teacher, and peer to peer. I live close to the campuses and the parking is free. Classes are never larger than 18 students per class. Diversity in majors and trade education is exceptional. Excellent provider of community service. Excellent education for a considerably lower cost than most colleges and universities.

Cons

Because the college is considerably smaller than most, people seldom leave their position. Turnover is non-existent. Since they count on government grants new courses are seldom added, and existing courses are seldom expanded therefore, adding new professors to the employment roster will not happen any time in the future.

Advice to Management

They should examine the teaching talent they have in their midst, and approach those instructors with teaching job offers before seeking outside applicants. BC3 like other similar entities has an extremely rigorous hiring process and therefore, part-time talent is given no priority treatment and is forced to apply the same way outside applicants must apply. I suggest BC3 look within their own list of per diem, part-time, and fulltime employees and give them first priority before seeking outside talent. They could save time and money from advertising and interviewing by offering existing employees these positions.

8. BC3 is a good place to work

Current Employee - Worker in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Worker in Butler, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania)

Pros

The people are great. The campus is beautiful. They offer great benefits. Sensitive to the needs of its employees. Professional development is well-supported.

Cons

Depending on the position you are working in, the pay is not comparable to that of working out in industry.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally regardless of department, funding source for the job, education level and age. Listen to what your employees have to say.