Butler Hill Group

Butler Hill Group Reviews

Updated Dec 9, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Working at home on your schedule.

I have been working at Butler Hill Group part-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork from home.
Set your own schedule.
No weekend work.
No commute.
Great management and training.
Although the general activity is the same no two days are ever alike.

ConsLimited number of hours... generally 20 hours a week or less.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Always been happy with management.

You won't find worst company to work for, and worst work to do

Internet Evaluator (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Butler Hill Group part-time for more than a year

ProsPay on time.
The flexibility of hours.

ConsVery poor management.
Work is extremely repetitive
Hire one day, fire the next
Guidelines don't make sense + management don't know how to apply them
Pay is getting worst and worst. Good is you work in a third world country
Communication with management is impossible if you don't agree with their ratings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop exploiting people

More Cons than Pros

Search Engine Evaluator (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Hill Group

ProsThe pay is good. I was making $13.50 an hour. The work is steady, a minimum of 20 hours per week and a maximum of 25.

ConsThey constantly test you. In order to get hired you need to take and pass an exam that has 50 questions. They provide the materials to study but the test is hard and tricky and they give you two chances to pass it. Even if you pass and get hired the testing doesn't stop there. While you're evaluating search engine results they give these little tests disguised as search engine results called RTAs or Real Time Audits that you rate and after you rate it it will tell you if you were correct or incorrect and these go to your score and if you get too many wrong you're taken off of production and put on a service level review and have to take the same test you took to get hired and if you don't pass it you're terminated. This constant testing can get stressful and frustrating because as an evaluator you know that in order to keep your job you can't give too many wrong answers and this pressure is constantly on you. The real kicker is that these evaluations are based on opinion and Butler Hill treats their opinions like they're facts and the evaluators and the people from Butler Hill who give the tests won't always agree because these evaluations are based on opinion not fact. The system will go down sometimes because of technical problems and they'll have you work on a different project temporarily and you are also tested on those different projects as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the constant testing and let the evaluators do the job they were hired to do without the threat of losing their job if they don't give enough correct RTAs and that will lessen the stress and frustration that comes from being constantly tested and you will get quality results from your judges. I believe that all that constant testing actually lowers the judge's job performance, confidence and morale, especially when a judge gets too many wrong RTAs and is put on service level review.

If you need to work a few hours from home weekdays, this could be for you.

I have been working at Butler Hill Group part-time

ProsWorking from home is great. Flexible work schedule, though the technology can fail if you wait to work later in the day.

ConsIt is becoming less and less user friendly to be a data annotator - the Sharepoint tools are not set up to be easily accessible. Guidelines used to be in one place, now things can be in many different places. The technology is less and less user friendly as time goes on. The hours that appear as worked in tool are more than the hours that you end up being paid, no matter what you bill.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to making things easier for data annotators. Have one place to go for guidance, one place to go for guidelines, etc. Make the Sharepoint interface more streamlined. Make the technology more user friendly. Make the whole process of staying up-to-date more user friendly. And make it so you don't have to work seven hours to be paid for four.

Great WAH Part-Time

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Butler Hill Group as a contractor

ProsA very flexible company, great telecommuting

ConsThere can be down time, not much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunities to grow within the company. Otherwise, perfect, adaptable.

Good for flexibility

Laramie, WY

I have been working at Butler Hill Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery flexible and can be done from pretty much anywhere. Also can be very interesting work seeing what people are really looking for.

ConsThe instructions used don't always make sense or follow a pattern that is easy to understand. You are evaluated on your understanding of them daily however, and your continued employment is contingent on the score you receive alone. It would also be almost impossible to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to find a better way to communicate the guidelines to evaluators, I spent half my time trying to decode what they meant and it was the biggest drag on productivity

Data Annotator Review

Data Annotator (Former Employee)
Ridgefield, CT

I worked at Butler Hill Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat hourly wage
Work always available

ConsMonthly pay
No advancement
Contract might end before end date

Not worth my time

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Butler Hill Group as a contractor for more than a year

Prosnone that are worth mentioning. Work from home is not a perk, where you use your own PC, spend money for electricity and heating. Perhaps worth mentioning the pay check was always on time.

ConsInternet sweatshop. My computer was infested with their guidelines, rules, updates, new requirements, troubleshooting & reporting etc. Requires lots and lots of unpaid administrative work. They want you to be alert for them 24 hours basically, like you are a full time employee and beyond. Even as a freelancer you need to ask for a day off and report it through their systems. And boy do they have plenty of portals for that! Lots of emails with - if you don’t do this your contract will be under review…

This company doesn’t only offer web evaluation only, as they advertise. They can assign you to do low paid crowd sourcing work. Or to make random phone calls as a part of the web evaluation. Or give you big excel files to sort out for them. Basically, you are a cheap labor. They will drain you and then dispose. Don’t waste your time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike they care

I am new to this company I have not been paid I am about to start qualification process

I have been working at Butler Hill Group part-time for less than a year

ProsThey respond to the questions

ConsThey pay less as their website says its $ 4.50 during production and $ 4 during qualification.You will not be paid if you fail the qualification.30 hours of qualification too much I think

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay,reduce the number of hours to work per day and for qualification. "BE FLEXIBLE"

Easy to hire and easy to fire

Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Hill Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHome based job with the flexibilities.

ConsVery subjective metric. Culturally insensitive in the standards of web site evaluations. Difference between actually consumed hours and recorded hours is significantly different. I say, 25% variance occurs at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo it yourself. Do not dump consultants in the bin.

Worked for Butler Hill Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Butler Hill Group reviews and ratings. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Butler Hill Group employees.