Butler Shine Stern and Partners

Be The First To
Add Photos

Butler Shine Stern and Partners CEO Greg Stern

Greg Stern

I Got More Out Of This 10-Week Internship Than I Did Out of 2 Years of Business School

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe overall sentiment is that "good ideas can come from anyone at any time, so be ready to contribute"

ConsI can't think of any downsides. I loved it here!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. My hat's off to you!

Miserable here

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsDogs allowed at work here. Pretty location.

ConsYou get yelled a lot by Butler. Shine isn't really present at all. Horrible balance of work and life. Lots of micromanaging by anyone with a more senior title. Everyone is looking for someone to pass the blame...so don't even think about having a death in your family or you will take the fall for not being there. Senior management and hr act like they care but when it comes down to it unless you are one of the partners or top two creatives you don't mean anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care and give that work life balance. All you do is pretend you do and tout the Outdoors magazine rating.

Fantastic Place

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners as an intern for less than a year

ProsCool environment, great people, dogs, employee events, everyone is extremely creative.

ConsNothing really, I suppose being in Sausalito might be a con for some.

Good if you like bros.

Senior Copywriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunities to work on good accounts. Traditional advertising. Lots of TV being made. Great benefits. There are a lot of nice people who work there.

ConsThey will underpay you. They will overwork you. The culture is meh--unless you are super down with adults who went to prep school. A BSSP party is the epitome of pretend advertising fun.

Bro-vertising!

Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can apply to bring your dog to work, they have fresh fruit every week, free kayaking nearby and they have great summer parties with food and bands. A lot of the people that work here are super nice and smart and creative.

There is some opportunity to work on a few of their clients, but a lot of the better work is reserved for people that have been there a long time or seniors.

I have to say creative does lead at the agency, John and Mike have a lot of say, and it's nice to have the guys whose names are on the door actually contribute to the work you're doing. Sometimes they can be a bit out of touch, but generally they know what they're talking about and can do some great work.

ConsThis is a very traditional agency, they don't do a lot of integrated or interactive campaigns well. You have to have a really competitive personality here and be willing to take (or steal) credit to get ahead. If you thrive better in collaborative environments you might not do well here. A lot of the creatives end up miserable and leave within a year or so.

I found it pretty masculine and "bro" centric, myself, and saw the few senior women get out one way or another. Most (or all) the CDs are male and many of the juniors are women. Bros rule the place here, and that's no secret. If you're a woman applying here, team up with the other women for solidarity and don't let them give credit to your male partners (or let them have the men present your ideas, which does happen).

Oh yeah, and the hours are insane, like many agencies. There's an expectation that you will prioritize work over your personal life at all times. I've seen a few of my coworkers' relationships fall apart over this. It's not just for pitches and crunch times, it's pretty regular. Less than 50 hours week is super rare. 18 hour days aren't a rarity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to let employees balance their life with their work a bit better, it's hard to be creative when you never leave the office. Also, it's not 1965, figure out how to fit (and attract and keep) all types of people into your organization. The work is better if the people making the work don't all look and act the same.

Good Internship but needs self-motivation

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners

ProsPeople are really nice and talented.
Senior management is accessible--can just walk through their open door.
Timely feedback of work.
Chill atmosphere (puppies allowed).

ConsLong commute from San Francisco.
No really good places to eat around there.
You have to really search around for work as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementA formal internship program/system with training is recommended.
As an intern, more hands-on oversight and management is also recommended--with one person as a turn-to contact.

Great People, Culture and Work

I have been working at Butler Shine Stern and Partners

Pros* The Culture and people
* Quality of work
* Accessibility to Management/Partners. (No layers)
* No politics or BS, Direct, Honest
* Managers care about their team/people
* Lots of free food, booze and events

Cons* Hours can be crazy, but it's probably more the industry and personal work ethics
* Work life balance can be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, don't forget who you are and the core values. It's what make the place what it is.

Great place, if you're all about the old school ad world.

Freelance Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners

ProsI met a few people that were really great, but overall it's a bit hard to meet people because it feel so big. They do an excellent job at letting everyone put in their ideas for projects and are very supportive and provide great feedback. If you want to make your portfolio enormous in a short amount of time, they'll give the goods.

ConsYou're expected to work long hours, period, no matter what. Emails continue through 1am, constantly, everything is a fire drill. The constant fire drills mean quality diminishes and that left me feeling disappointed in the work I was producing. Additionally, they keep the elite creatives on the top floor and they only contact/provide feedback via email, instead of face to face.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe account team needs to grow a backbone and ask for more money from the client so they can provide a more realistic work environment.

Nice place to work just not for me.

ACD (Former Employee)

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners

ProsButler, and Partners as it should be named is a Medium sized agency that will always be viewed as a small place. The people there overall are friendly, the place is clean, pet friendly and located in a scenic post card like setting. The environment overall is not too stressful for your normal everyday work environment. A great place to work if you are a beach bum, don't care about fashion and you think you want to try this advertising job thingy. Place is young over all and very very Caucasion. Safe from all those uncomfortable reactions with minorities a good thing if that is what you are in to. If you are a minority beware of working there you may be the only one there.

ConsRun by a control freak, small in overall mindset and outlook. Small guy shop that can not make it to the big time. HR has too much power. Monochromatic lacks flavor.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out who you want to be as an agency.

Fun environment but overworking employees and high turnover was a problem

I worked at Butler Shine Stern and Partners

ProsFun work environment. People are friendly and very laid back. You can even bring your dog into work with you.

ConsYou're required to work long hours and sometimes weekends. This tends to lead to a high turnover in lower level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of assessing employee workloads.

Worked for Butler Shine Stern and Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Butler Shine Stern and Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Butler Shine Stern and Partners CEO Greg Stern. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Butler Shine Stern and Partners employees.