Butler University Reviews

CEO

1. Great place for a student to work while attending classes full-time

Current Employee - Speakers Lab Tutor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Speakers Lab Tutor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Butler University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Speakers Lab management was very flexible with scheduling work hours. Students were typically well-behaved and appreciative of our free public speaking tutoring. The speaking labs were always clean and tutors were always paid on time.

Cons

The only negative I can think of about working in Speakers Lab was the way students signed up for tutoring sessions. When I was a tutor students signed up on a piece of paper outside each lab. There were multiple situations when students would erase someone else's name and write their own to get a time slot.

Poor environment for young professionals, minorities, and rigorous workers

Former Employee - Academic Technology Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Academic Technology Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Butler University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt, Butler has a decent benefits package and a hardworking HR department to help you in various capacities. There are many culture and entertainment opportunities as well including discounted tickets to Clowes events, the Vivian Delbrooks Visiting Writers Series, Diversity Lecture Series, and staff development opportunities in the community. There are various subcultures in this community, and some of those subcultures are very welcoming, asset-based individuals. The work environment is beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. The technical support from IT is always friendly and timely. Mostly, you'll never want for resources.

Cons

I was assigned a mentor and never met them and never received any benefits or knowledge from the assignment. The campus is in a constant state of construction. You can expect to pay a lot for parking and for it to be disrupted pretty consistently. Things move slowly in higher education institutions, and certainly here. There are numerous committees and work groups and meetings about meetings, before decisions are made or actions are taken. I once saw a document revision take an entire year. There also tends to be significant communication gaps between higher management and the employees. Many initiatives are sometimes implemented globally without any local processes to be put in place to support those initiatives (despite the slow moving progress and opportunities to develop those processes). Diversity is a real problem at this university and not just ethnic diversity. Disabilities and age are problematic areas as well. Many people speak about a culture of diversity there, but there are also many who behave as diversity gatekeepers and make the dialogue an exclusive one. During my time there, I had many negative experiences as a minority and a young professional (many ageist remarks). This is a highly traditional culture of legacy with a very privileged environment. They haven't yet made room for others outside of the privileged, Caucasian archetype. However, there are individuals who are trying hard to change this.

Advice to Management

Improve your transparency. If you have information, share the information. When workers find things out in roundabout ways from others outside of their department, it breeds a sense of mistrust and unreliability. Also, avoidance of a problem is not a solution to a problem. When issues arise, they need to be dealt with in a timely, appropriate way--even if they are difficult issues to grapple with. Acknowledgement is the first step. Allowing others to help is the second. I saw neither of these during my time there, and I felt I saw my department's needs ignored or downplayed when talking to other departments who were willing to help or offer resources. Finally, the staff desperately needs sensitivity training. Ultimately, the university culture on the whole struggles with basic kindness toward one another. I had awful experiences as a young professional, and I ultimately left after months of bullying from a co-worker. The compensation and all of the benefits you could offer were simply not enough.

3. Adjunct Professor

I worked at Butler University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Butler University has a beautiful campus and a great faculty. BU is committed to the growth of faculty and students. There area number of grants to faculty development. Collaboration with other faculty members is highly encouraged. The location is a short drive from downtown Indianapolis and easily accessible by I-65. There are museums, major arts organizations, a number of parks, and scenic walking paths. Indianapolis is a major city located between Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis. The campus also houses a new Health and Recreation Center which faculty are encouraged to use.

Cons

The pay far below the national average. The university is currently working close the gap between it's pay and the low end of the national mean. The insurance plans aren't great. The new Health and Recreation facility is prohibitively expensive.

5. Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Senior Academic Advisor in North Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Academic Advisor in North Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Butler University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and coworkers are awesome.

Cons

Butler may be on the lower end of the pay scale, depending upon the department.

6. Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Butler University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, friendly people

Cons

Slow moving processes, do more with less, need for efficiency, pay not tied to performance

Advice to Management

Continue to make administrative moves, bring in young talented people and say yes to change

7. Would not recommend

I worked at Butler University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff below leadership level is great! I enjoyed all of my colleagues who were in my division outside of the leadership team.

Cons

The environment was threatening within my division. Leadership changed after people had left so hopefully it will get better but it was hard to do your job to the best of your ability.

Advice to Management

To this day i am still afraid of the management team. Which is why my review is so vague. My advice would be to care for employees and dont use intimidation tactics on your staff.

8. Sr. Administrative Assistant

Pros

Great benefits; professional development availability

Cons

Expensive parking fee, below average salary for non-management positions

9. Great Place to Work

Pros

This was a great environment with amazing students. The paid time off is very generous and they have a good retirement package.

Cons

The pay is low relative to other higher education institutions and the administrative staff are often overlooked for their commitment to the institution.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook your administrative staff members. Make you take the time to validate the contributions of your employees across all departments.

10. Interned for Engineering Dual Degree Program

Pros

Great People to work with who care about their jobs and the students they help Cool Program (5-year program, two degrees) Amazing University (small liberal arts school) Beautiful Campus close to downtown

Cons

Relatively Unknown Program (Several students on campus not aware of the program but students in the program are very satisfied with the program) Sometimes Unorganized

11. Everyone who loves it is drinking the same kool-aid

I have been working at Butler University full-time

Pros

There are some cool benefits (access to staff workouts and fitness facility), flexibility when needed, and the administration as a whole seems to be constantly striving to improve. Many people who work at Butler really love the university and their job.

Cons

The "love" for Butler can be nauseating at times, if you are new and not filled with the institutional pride as others. It is sometimes hard to watch students rack up mountains of debt. The pay for staff seems to be pretty low compared to comparable jobs outside of academia - and faculty seems to sit on a pedestal making more money and working less hours. Despite being a relatively small school, Butler is a huge bureaucracy where innovation and fun can be lost in favor of "tradition" and inclusiveness.

Advice to Management

More money should be spent paying staff - perhaps downsizing in order to do so - and less on so many frivolous things. There are a lot of positives to say about Butler and it is on the rise as an institution, and the top brass seem to be doing their part to constantly improve, with some focus on keeping employees happy. Still, it seems like unless you are drinking the Butler Kool-aid, you probably don't look forward to working here on a daily basis.

RSS Feed </> Embed