Butler and Hosch

Add Photos

Robert H. Hosch, Jr.

mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosoverall co-workers are great helpful. the 401k plan has a great match and 3 weeks (15 days) vacation after 1 year

Consbad management - disorganized, so much work you feel you cannot miss a day without getting extremely behind on your work

Florida Attorneys BEWARE!

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThere are absolutely no Pros for working at this place! NONE!

ConsFlorida attorneys who may see the Dallas listings......PLEASE BEWARE! This firm will lure you to Dallas and within 3-6 months, you will be terminated! They advertise under Default Consulting Group, as well as Butler & Hosch. Do not pick up your family or even your dog and move to Dallas for this "job". This so-called law firm is filled with people who have no clue and they are in management positions. You will constantly be worried about violating bar rules and your job. Like one other reviewer mentioned, if you are hoping to move to Dallas and have nothing to lose, go for it. But, if you're like most ethical attorneys who want to maintain good standing with the Florida Bar, please keep looking. This is not the place for attorneys who want a good, stable, ethical job. Wish I would have known before picking up and moving here.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust close down! You are doing a great disservice to the law profession. Awful, awful place and management.

Horrible disorganized mess of a business

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThere not any pros about this place.

ConsThis is the worst company maybe in the entire country if not world to work. They constantly laid off hard workers and re hire right after lay offs. The pay is way below standard at a law firm. There side company Default Consultants is in even worse shape. The IT team has no clue on what there doing. The system pro law was always down, so hard to get work done on there demanding timelines when you can't use the equipment because it crashed for the fifth time in one week. The lay offs would come out of no where and very often to great workers. There were ridiculous amounts of VP and AVP and they wouldn't have a clue how to do anything or solve any problems. The benefits were a joke. Very high price it would take half your small pay check away. Please stay away from this place the stress and fear of this being your week to get laid off is not worth your health.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about the company and maybe get to know your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I felt this company does not provide its employees with the tools required to be successful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is centrally located in Addison with several restaurants around.

ConsI have never worked for a company who expected so much, but gave you so little tools in order to get the job done.

Resume Stepping Stone

Legal Assistant Then Paralegal (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part about working in the office where I worked was the people that I worked with. We all got along very well and were more like friends or family than co-workers. The atmosphere was always fun and friendly no matter how stressed we all were. We enjoyed doing things for each other on birthdays, baby showers, going away parties, etc.(Management did not participate, however). I did gain some valuable experience for my resume with this firm. Before I was laid off, I planned to stick it out despite the multiple downsides to the job and stay there while I finished my degree because of my friendships with my co-workers, and I did not want to leave them in a rut since we were already understaffed.

ConsAt first, I was blind to all that was going on, but over time (in the ten short months that I was there), I found the management to be very unorganized and lacking in experience. The people who were supposed to be qualified to be "managing attorneys" were not qualified whatsoever i.e. did not have their license to practice law in that state, therefore, no legal advice could be given to the associate attorneys. The first manager in my office location did not have any clue about procedures of the individuals working under him, therefore, he was not a great deal of help when there were issues that needed to be resolved. Once he left, we were without management for over a month. Aside from that, the firm was very overworked, understaffed, and underpaid. People were constantly being fired with zero notice in large numbers in other offices before others were trained to take their place. This left people who were also not trained for their duties to do their jobs on top of their own jobs....and having to figure it out on their own. Obviously this complete disregard for planning and organization caused a lot of important deadlines and issues to fall by the wayside. Very unprofessional for a law firm. There was no sense of "firm togetherness" with upper management, other departments, or other firms. Nobody knew who was in what department and who was supposed to accomplish which tasks. It seemed like getting anything done always involved a series of ridiculous and unnecessary hoops to jump through. There was absolutely no incentive to increase revenue, work longer hours, nothing. We were never told that we were doing a good job or given anything even when we were told that our office had the highest numbers out of all the other offices. I'm sorry, but there has to be SOMETHING they could do to increase employee morale, especially since apparently getting a raise or performance evaluation (which they don't do, even though their employee handbook says they do) is like pulling teeth. They are the kind of people who want you to wear as many hats and do as much work as you possibly can while they give you the bare minimum. Did I mention the benefits are absolutely worthless? They are not affordable by a long shot (you would have to go without eating to afford it) or even good quality benefits whatsoever. When I was laid off (without notice), I got laid off with five others on a Friday when the manager had known since that we were to be laid off since that past Monday or Tuesday. I was not offered severance, only my remaining PTO hours to be paid and pay for the rest of that day. I was also offered a letter of recommendation that I have yet to receive....no documentation was given to me. Gee, thanks.....that in a nutshell is how one should expect their experience at Butler and Hosch to be. If you want a very short-lived "career" full of disorganization with very little incentive and little, to no room for advancement, then this is the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening up firms in other states when you cannot even organize and run the offices that you have open currently. Opening up a firm in California, hiring a bunch of people, training them, then firing them within a matter of one-two months is absolutely ridiculous. Same with all of the other offices. Stop taking on work that you know you cannot keep up with and employees that you are fully aware that you cannot afford to pay for the amount of work that they are doing. Get to know your employees, especially the SMART ones who are loyal, and pay them what they are WORTH. I watched some great employees leave because they were not being paid accordingly for the work they were doing. However, they were honestly smart to find another job where they would be actually appreciated. Try to make sure your managing attorneys are actually licensed to do their job.

You'll be scared for your job the entire time.

Operations (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThere really is nothing good about a company where everyone around you is getting laid off.

ConsManagers play favoritism, they don't actually do any work. You will be laid off in 6 months so do not get comfortable. Don't get personal with these people because they tend to throw you under a bus and watch you get run over. No values when it comes to the hiring process; essentially they will hire anyone and then lay them off. You waste too much time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice to give a structure like this. You are falling and falling. Only a matter of time before the rest are you are done with.

Overworked, Underpaid, Mismanaged.

Paralegal (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsI really can't think of any pros.

ConsMicromanaged by managers and team leads that had no clue about mortgage foreclosure processes, regulations or requirements. Disorganized and downright mean. Foreclosure mill, not a "law firm."

Good work experience gained, bad management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with on a daily basis were great. Being as we were pretty much always short-staffed, it was an excellent opportunity to get a lot of experience in short order. It was also nice to have the option to work from home on occasion.

ConsOverworked and underpaid, and middle management was inadequate. Our direct manager lacked the knowledge and credentials to manage our department well - nice guy, but that didn't help him give advice on how to do a job he didn't really understand.

The frequency of mass layoffs didn't do a lot for employee morale or any feeling of job security. It's hard to concentrate on your job when you've just found out that 50 or more employees have lost their jobs, and it's hard to do your work well when there's very little stability in the people you may be working with in other offices. You can't ask a question if the person you used to ask is no longer employed there and you have no idea who took their place. The frequent layoffs often led to a loss of institutional knowledge as well. There were sometimes gaps in who was responsible for a particular task. That was likely due to the fact that the person who handled the task was let go, no one realized they were responsible for that task, and the task then just lay dormant for a while until someone figured out that it wasn't getting done. By that point, it was much too late for anyone to be trained on how to handle the task, so it continued to go undone or had to be relearned by others. Highly inefficient.

If you managed to keep your job, there was no room for advancement. Even if there had been, there was no consistent review structure in place that would have allowed advancement to be discussed. I was there for nearly three years, and had one annual review during that time, so there wasn't even a regular opportunity to talk about whether my performance was sufficient and to discuss possible pay raises. Pay was already below market, and with the price of our (crazy overpriced, not that great) benefits going up annually, we were effectively taking a pay cut each year.

The push to expand the firm was also discouraging. When your area has been asking for more staff for months and it's never happened, and you learn that the firm is expanding to a whole new section of the country, well, that pretty much tells you where your department rates.

As for our clients, I learned that big banks are as difficult to work with as they are to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen when a need for help in a particular area is expressed, and meet that need in a timely fashion. Be consistent in decision-making and keep nepotism out of the hiring equation. Focus on what you have and build that up into a quality firm where people can be proud to work, and quit trying to spread out so far across the country.

Little pay for the work being done.

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsI don't have any pros at this time. I'm sorry

ConsLaid off without warning, pay isn't great for the work being done.

Never again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked, got paid, went home.

ConsNo matter what department you're in, you're still making the same has the mail room guys.

Worked for Butler and Hosch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Butler and Hosch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Butler and Hosch CEO Robert H. Hosch, Jr. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Butler and Hosch employees.