Buy Buy Baby

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.5

Richard Feinstein

Pros
  • Customer service HAS to be overstated in this environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great company, owned by Bed Bath and Beyond, which means discount at all of their concepts (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They only hire part-time but you work ethic will get you where you want to go (in 6 reviews)

• The environment is meant for some serious customer service work and literally every customer needs help (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job

I worked at Buy Buy Baby

Pros

Good people
    Understanding management
    Helps with school schedule

Cons

Pay sucks
    Moving up is rare
    Minimum wage job

A Great Company to Grow With

I have been working at Buy Buy Baby full-time

Pros

buybuyBaby has by far surpassed all of my dreams for a Company to work for! The team, from the Associates who work in our stores, to the Managers at all locations, and up to the Corporate office. This is truly a Company that fosters entrepreneurship and development from within!

Cons

It would be great to have more locations!

Great money- bad experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD

I worked at Buy Buy Baby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay wasn't too bad for a young adult and my coworkers were great. In a retail job coworkers can make it or break it honestly

Cons

Bosses were terrible, gossiping, attitudes, no respect for people's family or school schedule, and no room to move up. People stole food out of the fridge, no respect for privacy...not my kinda place

It's retail!!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Buy Buy Baby (less than an year)

Pros

As a new manager (one who has been in the retail world for over 10yrs), I was given formal training....wow!! You're typically thrown into the wolves with any other retail store. Yes, managers have a long work week but if you are good with time management then you find your work/life balance. If you don't delegate then expect to do the work and the extra hours. Is there a budget for hours???...of course! What retailer doesn't have a budget that must be strictly adhered to. It's all about knowing your players and having them prioritize. Customer service HAS to be overstated in this environment.

I've met a lot of managers during my training and they all bring there "A" game and more importantly they are eager to help you learn and do whatever task is needed. Being hands on is a must to set the expectations to the staff. This is NOT a desk job.

Cons

There will always be those associates that you need to babysit.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port Chester, NY

I worked at Buy Buy Baby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work and excellent co-workers

Cons

The store managers and disctrict managers don't care the people they manage and the paymentis very low considering the want you to do multiple positions...So they really treat you as a machine.

The managers consider their associates like a machine

In one word the most awful experience of my whole working life.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Buy Buy Baby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not far from home and my fellow workers were very nice.

Cons

Managers didn't know what they were doing especially the store manager that came after I was with the company for nearly a year he was a very inept person to be handling such a responsibility such a poor choice. You had to climb ladders not easy and sometimes had to straddle refused to do I am a women over 50 don't think so. Training was very involved you could mostly do it yourself but you had homework to do. I was very overwhelmed working there to much expected and no organization of tasks and important floor revisions to do managers not very well versed in doing and helping it was one of the worst places I have ever worked. I worked hard but according to the store manager not hard enough a whole lot of favoritism which was not professional and so much disrespect from certain managers on the selling floor in front of customers. I was upset daily. I had several melt downs and I was always unhappy but continued to stay because I needed employment until a customer complained about me while I was assisting another customer and the store manager whom did not like me got rid of me and terminated me it was the best thing ever. I would not recommend this company to anyone to work for they don't know anything about how to treat their staff.

Get some people skills most of you needed them there was only one manager while I worked there that knew their job there was also another one who stepped down from her position but while she managed she knew her job so only two of six. I think they need extreme people skills training and not to the customer their workers. Not a happy place to work or even shop.

Reasonable / pay rate for retail acceptable

Current Employee - Service in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Service in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Buy Buy Baby part-time

Pros

I find the company reasoanable, there are opportunities in which one can learn many things. I feel that it personally put me to the test. My training leader is very understanding, energetic and has a go getting attitude. I like the fact that the company prides themselvs on customer service, that is very important for not only a retailer but a customer.I am proud to be a part of the company because I bring the utmost customer service. It is very enjoyable to share the experience of joy with new parents grandparents and family members and helping them with their baby needs!

Cons

I have noticed that there are certain "groups" within the store I work. In order to have a team that can provide outstanding service we should provide outstanding work ethics towards each other. I have found it that some of the team members do not care to engage with other team members so it makes me wonder how they engage with customers. Remember we are a team so let's work together and it will make the job a lot better for everyone!

Its understanding that a management position can occur high stress. Just take time to breathe, also take a moment to listen to your employees concerns if there are any, try to evaluate situations accordingly, and gather information so things don't seem one sided.

Assistant Manager, worked in several different stores.

I have been working at Buy Buy Baby (less than an year)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work with some really great people at the store level. Most customer experiences are good. New moms can be a pleasure to work with, if you actually get the time to work with them.

Cons

Seriously, don't even waste your time applying. It's not worth the interview. The root of the problem in the stores, lies in payroll. If the company would actually take some time in the stores to see what it actually takes to service the customer and see how much time and resource is needed for tasking and projects, stores would be much better off. I know payroll is a pain point for many retailers. However, I have NEVER seen it this bad. The environment is meant for some serious customer service work and literally every customer needs help. the employee to customer ratio is well below expectation and needs to be addressed immediately. I have had the opportunity to work in several stores so I know the payroll shortage is not singled to a specific store -but company wide. To say this is a "typical retail environment" would actually be a compliment. The corporate team is severely disconnected from the stores. Feedback to field managers and corporate employees does not get addressed. If I were you, I would try to help recruit the talented managers out of this company and guide them to some of the better retailers out there. Oh yeah, the Management team has to work a required 50 hour work week! I can tell you, I personally haven't worked less than 55 hours a week since being hired less than a year ago.

Please loosen the purse strings of this "Debt free company" sometimes you have to spend a bit more to make more. Invest in Payroll for the stores, update technology, and listen to the feedback coming from the stores. Most of us are fairly educated and experienced. We can help!

Furniture sales

I have been working at Buy Buy Baby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work and customer service is very important hours are flexible if it's a second job

Cons

Lots of moving heavy furniture cleaning bathrooms hard to move up in company

Hire a company to clean your bathrooms

Typical retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Buy Buy Baby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its usually a happy environment, especially with the new moms. It is also gratifying to fully understand a product, and help a new mom make decisions she may be uneasy about. Educating new moms amd putting their mind at ease provides for a satisfying environment, most of the time.

Cons

It has its typical retail drama. The closing hours can run late, and achieving full time status is very difficult. Some employees were promised certain positions/pay raises, but they were never implemented.

Communicate with the employees more. Take notice to their concerns and address them the best you can. Feeling as if you have management fighting for you can boost morale quite a lot.