Buy For Less Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Hank Binkowski

1. Good enough to still go back and shop.

Former Employee - Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Service Clerk

I worked at Buy For Less part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With so many employees, you can set specific hours Beautiful store (depending on location) Thanksgiving and Christmas Bonuses You can cash your check at the store

Cons

The GM of the store is the one you have to look at for Standing on feet all day Work can feel very routine and monotonous Pay is average

Advice to Management

Your training programs were good. Now just get some more enthusiasm in your managers.

2. as a cashier/courtesy clerk @ Uptown

Former Employee - Cashier/Courtesy Clerk in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier/Courtesy Clerk in Edmond, OK

I worked at Buy For Less full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is lots to do, you Can advance in the company, and the pay is above average.

Cons

some managers dont know how to manage, they dont care if u get chewed out by customers even though in orientation they say they wont put up with it. they dont think other mangers can be wrong, they dont question punishment even though it my be too strong, its a dog eat dog world,

Advice to Management

work with your employees, live the motto, but stand up for your employees, and if you cant stand the heat please do all of us a favor and get out of the kitchen.

3. Hopefully, my experience isn't the standard for all of the stores.

I worked at Buy For Less part-time

Pros

$9/hour minimum wage Paid breaks Awesome HR representatives. <They always made me feel welcome.

Cons

When I worked for the company, I had a horrible time. They were pretty strict about not giving anyone too many hours, since they don't want anyone to get any where near overtime. But, supposedly, the higher your scan times, the more hours you got. Yeah, they didn't stay true to that. I was in second place and getting the same amount of hours as a cashier who could barely hit half of the minimum requirement. Store management treated me terribly, especially after they listened to a rumor being spread about me and confronted me about it. The funny thing was, it wasn't even true! But, they pulled me aside and spoke to me about it, leaving me in tears. I get that not every job is perfect and that people get stressed out, but this was by far the worst job I ever had. Turnover rates are fairly high and, now I understand why.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns about policies such as "Faster scan times = more hours" and ask for an employee's side to the story before believing a rumor, maybe even get witnesses. The "zero tolerance for bullying" policy should also stand for management, not just to employees.

5. Working for BFL

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director

I have been working at Buy For Less

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation starting off, profit sharing plan with 401k, company pays for long term and short term disability, and life insurance.

Cons

55hr work week, only two holidays

6. It's a great company

I worked at Buy For Less

Pros

Great schedule flexibility, the managers and coworkers are great people. The work environment is great and very welcoming to both employees and customers.

Cons

You must be good with money in order to work here if you decide to be cashier. When it comes to going home things are not always great.

Advice to Management

Great work from store manager considerate, comprehensive, willing to work with you.

7. Courtesy Clerk / Cashier

I worked at Buy For Less part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co workers and asst. managers, awesome scheduling I could ask for any day off and i would get it, good pay for a grocery store. I worked at Uptown Grocery Co a substore of BFL, this is the place to work. It is the nicest grocery store in Edmond and I still shop there to this day. Interact with customers.

Cons

Cleaning the bathrooms sometimes, if your a cashier it gets mundane to have to stand there all day. You have to make it positive with your outlook or else it is going to be a boring job for you. Cant receive tips when carrying out groceries for people.

8. Current Employee-2013

I have been working at Buy For Less full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accepting a position at Buy For Le$$ has been an amazing and life changing experience for myself and my career. In a short time, this company has invested more in me through leadership training, faith based encouragement, and constant motivation than any other company I have worked for. Career progression is not only supported company wide, employees are continually provided with tools to help achieve continued success. Starting pay for positions is usually higher than national average, benefits are affordable, and employees cultivate a real "family" environment. However, along with the perks, employees are held accountable and expected to perform as necessary in their positions. Constructive feedback is requested. Employees who show up on time, work when scheduled, and care about their jobs and the company are rewarded.

Cons

None-All of my experiences have been positive. I think the leadership of the company is heading in a very positive direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek feedback and input from ground floor employees. Never stop holding employees accountable for their actions or performance.

I like working for Buy for Less and will probably retire from here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Buy For Less full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner is very caring and takes time to go into the stores and meet his employees...He has known me by name since my first month at Buy for Less. Not everyday you find an owner like that. Also I am a single mom and they try their best to help me out with my schedule.

Cons

We are in the grocery business so, of course, except for Christmas we are open every day of the year.

Advice to Management

Just keep talking to employees and getting their input.

10. Great place!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Warr Acres, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Director in Warr Acres, OK

I have been working at Buy For Less full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Buy for less is a fantastic place to work at, ive been working here for a little over 10 years and have had a blast. Bfl offers great benefits; retirement plans, insurence, 401k. They have created a positive and culturally diverse and rich atmosphere. My job is fast paced and challenging abd always keeps me on my toes. Im glad i love a good challenge :D

Cons

none, my time here has been positive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

11. Fast paced and Demanding

Former Employee - Co Director in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Co Director in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Buy For Less full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and additional training plus benefits

Cons

Does not pay females the same as men

Buy For Less Response

Dec 19, 2013 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback; we care very much. We just completed an analysis of pay (using only experience and results by position) and found no disparity in pay; in fact, there are some positions ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed