Buy.com

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Masatada Kobayashi

Challenging with good opportunities and great resume builder.

Sales (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGood environment if your willing to work for it. The culture is a blend of US and Japanese and if your open minded about learning new things from a different perspective, and can handle a more numbers driven company, you can excel. Pretty frequent promotions (partially due to turnover) and annual bonus. Management is focused on sales and profitability. Good benefits including some paid lunches each week and you cant forget the In-and-Out truck every month! Don’t expect to coast but if you work hard, they will treat you well and Rakuten is a great company to have on your resume as they continue to make acquisitions and grow and you might even get to visit Japan since they send employees to Rakuten Japan to learn how things are done at the parent company.

ConsCompany has been going through a transition from Buy.com to Rakuten.com which included a pretty heavy change over in terms of the business model and philosophy. Some good employees have left during the transition creating more work for some of us. Heavy emphasis on KPIs and numbers and daily reporting which can take some getting used to. Polish up on your powerpoint skills. No question that this is a challenging working environment which requires you to stay on your game.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough its getting better, less frequent shifts in strategy, priorities and top management would help to ease some of the employee concerns that other reviewers mention in their posts. More career training for management level positions. A little less focus on daily KPI or at least a more automated approach.
    Better tools for the Sales team so we can concentrate more on our merchants.

Started off amazing and slowly went downhill after all the NewEgg hires...

Account Manager (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsCulture
    Benefits
    Open Environment
    Lack of supervision
    Catered Lunches

ConsMinimal advancement opportunities
    Executive management egos
    Compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't want to hear it.

No future

ProsReally casual work environment
    Catered lunches twice a week
    Little supervision
    Decent culture
    Flexible work hours

ConsNo opportunities for growth
    Work gets repetitive fast
    General attitude of upper management makes me wonder about the company's future
    The company has been getting very stagnant ever since it's purchase. With all the other e-commerce sites out there, I can't see Rakuten.com staying in business much longer.
    All the back end on the IT side is horribly outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to Buy.com days. They were much more enjoyable and not as uptight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going downhill fast

(Current Employee)

ProsWeekly lunch
    Good medical and dental benefits

ConsSince Rakuten took over Buy.com, the company morale has gone down. The owner of Rakuten made a speech during his weekly meeting about cutting back, going lean and all that. A few weeks later, it was mentioned in the company meeting assuring us that there will be no lay-offs. A few weeks later, they laid off more people.

They talk about transparency and communicating better with each other, but they are lacking that particular set of skills or they say things which means nothing. The company is seller-centric and marketing is done at a very chaotic manner.

Even though the medical and dental benefits are good, the pay is way below market rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees. Listen to them.

Buy.com was amazing - Rakuten.com Shopping beware of working there

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

Proshours are consistent
    japanese culture is very clean
    1 day of sushi lunch a month

Consseveral managers shouldn't be responsible for employees- they have no practice in good management techniques
    the majority of management is from NewEgg and act like they're better than everyone else

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers should all take a course in sexual harassment and positive employment training

Good place to learn and move on

Category Manager (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsCaveat: I was there before and after the acquisition of Buy.com by Rakuten.
    Good learning opportunity. In my time there, I was able to learn a lot about how ecommerce sites operate, including managing manufacturer and merchant partnerships.
    Decent perks. Company used to provide lunch everyday, and then it became twice a week (not sure what it is anymore). They would also have an In N Out truck that came out once a month, which was nice.
    Nice people. For the most part, people are nice and genuine.

ConsLack of/Bad Direction. The CEO of the parent company, HIroshi Mikitani, is busy running a global company, of which Buy.com is a very small part. He seems to determine major strategy decisions based on a couple of his "liaisons" stationed in the company. Being on the front lines, there seemed to be a disconnect between "Mickey's" decisions and the actual US Market (Yes, Mr. MIkitani actually prefers to be addressed as "Mickey")
    Weird culture. The company is a mix of OC culture (pretty fair on work/life balance) and Japanese culture (late hours, put in your face-time, don't leave til your boss leaves, etc). It partially depends on which group you're in.
    Business is tough. Buy.com doesn't have much a differentiation from Amazon (1st party business) and eBay (marketplace business), and they definitely don't do either as well as the other guys. It's a difficult market to compete in.
    Lots of turnover. Plenty of people moving on to greener pastures. If you stick around long enough, and have some talent/skill, you got a good chance of progressing. There's some politicking involved, but probably not more than the average company of similar size.

Very Disappointing to Work Here

Customer Service (Current Employee)

ProsTwice weekly lunch
    Once a month In-n-Out truck
    Great medical, dental benefits
    Casual dress code
    Some nice people

ConsNo communication between departments
    Boring weekly mandatory meetings
    Constantly laying off people - job security is sketchy
    Verbally supports transparency, but doesnt actually do it
    Seller driven - lacks customer service focus
    All departments does not seem organized

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people and their contribution.
    Listen to the voice of the customers. Customers are the ones that make the site successful.

Fun environment, great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were friendly, management was easygoing. Once-a-month In n Out Truck was also a plus!

ConsThere weren't many cons, though apparently there were layoffs shortly after I left. Probably due to changes in management.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Going down really fast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is not bad. They are hiring new people

ConsWhere do I start? The management is completely lost, there are tons of little groups evrywhere, and clicks, the employees are zombies

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people from New Egg!

Pretty Ghastly especially since Rakuten took over. If you're on the ecommerce\product side it's a better place to be. T

Director, Sales (Former Employee) Laguna Niguel, CA

ProsWell known name, some great products on the ecommerce side.

ConsAn ecommerce play with little time for the media\sales side. There were several Britney Spears lookalikes in torn jeans there, "lifers", been there for years and seemed to run the place. Bizarre, with almost no oversight or accountability. Like Housewives of OC almost.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your expenses faster than quarterly. Don't hire several high end sales people, then dump them less than a year later.

Worked for Buy.com? Contribute to the Community!