Buy.com Reviews

1 Rating

1. Company lacked leadership

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Buy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Casual work environment - Excellent perks (frequent catered lunches, snacks provided, great vacation policy, etc.) - Everyone from entry level employees to upper management are given open forums to speak and give opinions

Cons

- Leadership team that came from HQ in Japan completely lacked direction, management skills, creative thinking and people skills - Big language barrier between leadership and staff - Huge differences in cultural beliefs between leadership and staff - Decisions made did not seem best for the company - too focused on top line and not enough on profit - There were unreasonable expectations (i.e. Rakuten is the biggest online retailer in Japan, it expected the same results in the US when heavy hitters like Amazon, eBay and Walmart are lightyears ahead of the rest of the competition).

Advice to Management

- Bring experienced executives in to lead (Not account managers from Japan HQ ) - Tone down expectations to provide a more positive work environment - Encourage success. Don't scrutinize failure at every opportunity. - Needs better leadership.

2. Worked here as a summer intern with the Marketing/Promotions team

I worked at Buy.com

Pros

-Everyone is super friendly; open office space so you can easily interact with co-workers; very team-oriented environment -Promotions team was really great to work with. They made sure that I always had something productive to do (not just busy work) and always checked in with me to make sure I was learning new things, ask what else I wanted to get involved in, etc.

Cons

None I can think of!

keep looking

I have been working at Buy.com

Pros

very chill work environment. catered lunch 2 days a week. in n out lunch once a month. great mobility since people are always leaving. young staff. good benefits

Cons

management doesnt really know what they are doing. they get direction from overseas(who have no idea what it's like to run a business in the US). low wages.

Advice to Management

if you are running the company, then run the company. lots of teams lack direction and are openly against the current direction. if even the employees dont know what's going on, how do you expect the company to be successful

5. good potential

I have been working at Buy.com

Pros

-opportunity for growth -perks (free lunches, etc) -casual environment

Cons

-management has some weak areas -employee turnover

Employees leaving very often

I have been working at Buy.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The free lunches, bagels, coffee. No one gets on your case for being late. The benefits are great! Communication between teams is getting better.

Cons

It's all about who you know and how much you brown nose, not about how well you do your actual job. Nobody really understands what is going on with anything. Not enough advertising in the US so nobody knows who we are yet.

Advice to Management

You say that you want to make things better for your employees but I do not really see it. I have been an employee for 6+ years. In that time I have consistently received good reviews, rewards and survived many layoffs but yet have received maybe a $2 total raise (which is still well below the average). This shows me that you really do not value your loyal employees.

7. Unfortunate Circumstances: Major Change Is Bound to Happen

Former Employee - Account Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Buy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits (401K, Health, Medical, Dental & Vision) Balanced Time-Off near Holidays Nice office environment. Company performance transparency. Everyone is easy to talk to and very courteous. Potential to be a great company with the right leadership and support.

Cons

Upper level management lacks direction and vision that could align this company with tech progression. High-employee turnover. Lots of employees leaving. Benefits do not change the dire business circumstances and poor direction here. Managers within the company need more international support. Lack of sound resolutions coming from Senior Management. Complacent tech team.

Advice to Management

The Global business should consider a complete overhaul on the business side and IT. Many upper level managers are not acting on opportunities to take the company in a new direction. The parent company in Japan is sitting on plenty of resources but the US business is struggling. The same strategies that created most of this company's problems are creating a downhill domino effect with overall performance. Despite upper level management knowing this nothing has changed.

Hard Times at Buy.com

Former Employee - Ecommerce Coordinator in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Coordinator in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Buy.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open work environment, In-n-out Truck once per month, solid benefits

Cons

Compensation is low, the company tends to not promote from within

9. Fun Co-workers but Cold-calling=hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Buy.com

Pros

Lunch catered twice a week, plus bagels on Mondays. People that work there are fun and nice. Health benefits are great and start almost right away.

Cons

Salary is a little low and the commission structure is a little confusing and it's capped at $10,000 a year.

Advice to Management

Better Training and more incentive to want to sit there and cold call for 8 hours a day!

10. Business Sector

I worked at Buy.com

Pros

Nice area to be around..close to the beach.

Cons

Upper Management are the worst

11. Move up quickly but no structure

Current Employee - Account Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Buy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a really quick chance to move up since the turnover is high and you will learn a lot.

Cons

The turnover is high and communication between teams is not great. Upper management also does not communicate with lower staff very well.

RSS Feed </> Embed