BuzzBee

Updated July 13, 2014

2.7

Michele Bourdon Keeffe

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Making a comeback! Good things are coming...

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The small company environment allows for flexibility, creativity, wearing many hats and an opportunity to be involved in the business at many levels. Overall, I would say pay and benefits were fair, possibly even above other agencies.

I really enjoyed the ability to work from home and have a good work/life balance. A big pro to BuzzBee is that you get to work with the Creative Team with some of the brightest, smartest people in the business!

BuzzBee definitely tripped, feel down, and now is back on two solid feet as new life and new clients have been acquired. I worked at the company during tough times, but it was great to see how people formed a team and were given a chance by the leadership team to perform. Acquiring new clients have helped chance the work and has allowed for a new dynamic to form (for the better).

Cons

I was often unsure of processes because it felt like they were changing often, but I feel that was also related to the evolution of the business.

The Microsoft book of business can be a tough one and the clients are demanding, but I wouldn't say that is a fault of BuzzBee - just a fair warning.

Please buy a PM solution and management tools: please no more spreadsheets or OneNotes to house information or processes.

Exciting Place to Bee.....

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

I used to work for an agency that had all of it's business at Microsoft and when budgets got cut so did all of our staff. BuzzBee used to be like that and we let a large part of our Microsoft team go last year. But under the direct, yet fair leadership of Michele Keeffe, the company has been able to bring on a handful of new customers -- and those accounts are growing. The company is heading in a great direction and it is exciting to be a part of it.

Anyone who is a bit entrepreneurial and wants to know their impact every day would love it here. I know I do.

Cons

With such a small team getting the exact time off you want can be a challenge. But we've been able to work together to make this happen. We have had several departures on the management team and it's been a bit rocky. Keep working to stabilize and retain those of us that re dedicated to BuzzBee's future.

Bringing in the team building of the Rower's Code has been great and has really brought us all together. We want more of it. Keep the communication lines open and continue to create opportunities for growth. And do keep bringing in the really creative premium content work. We love it.

Great group of hard working, talented professionals!

Current Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

The team at BuzzBee is one of the best I've experienced in my career. It is a group of genuine, kind-hearted people that are always willing to rollup their sleeves and do great work for our clients. There is flexibility that allows you to balance work and life. Management is reasonable, and they are always willing to consider special requests and accommodate personal needs. That is one of the perks of working for a small company.

Cons

At any agency, the pace is fast, clients have urgent needs, and we all wear many hats. Agency work is not for the faint at heart. If you thrive in this type of rewarding and exciting environment, you'll do great. If you prefer a slower pace with more predictability, an agency environment may not be right for you.

I've seen great strides forward in opening up communications across teams as well as up through senior management. Keep it up, and continue to find ways to open up communications channels and listen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere, you won't regret it.

Former Employee - Account Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

Large client brands - tons of opportunity to learn how larger clients work.
    Most of the people are wonderful - from the Directors down there is a sense of team.
    Good office location - Lots of new restaurants, and evening activities.

Cons

You can never trust what CEO Michele Keeffe says - She will say one thing and then the next day do something completely different.
    You will be belittled and held down, no room for growth - There is a mean girl mentality at the office that is like no other, if you want to play the games you could do well, but only if you are bringing in revenue and the right type of revenue - which is never defined.
    Manipulation is a guiding principle for the agency.

Add a new acting CEO, or have a President who leads the firm. Let the people who were hired in showcase their talents. Don't put people into boxes that they don't know, nor want to be in. Know where the business is going - it is 2014 not 2000.

Know What You’re Getting Yourself Into...then run like hell

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Unlike the reviews on here from Jan-April of 2013, I’m going to be forthright about BuzzBee. Why? Well, for a couple reasons.

First, I’m a firm believer in the transformative power of transparency. Like anything else in life, if no one speaks up about persistent systemic problems, those problems will never get fixed.

Second, when someone or something (in this case a company) claims to be something, their actions need to be consistent with those claims.

Third, I care about working-class people. In an age where diligent, hard-working individuals are being asked to work more and more for less and less...less pay, less health care coverage, less retirement help, and on and on...it’s important that people speak the truth about their employers. Whether a company is an incredible place or borderline abusive, the worker bees (no pun intended) need to know what they’re getting themselves into.

At any rate, here’s my review of BuzzBee...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

>>>Background
    First, a little background to put things in perspective. BuzzBee is a small company (around 25 or people during my stay). They specialize in developing marketing collateral for the technology companies like Microsoft, AMD, Intel, and a few others. I worked as an account manager at BuzzBee for several years– this is eons when one realizes that the average tenure at BuzzBee is around 6 months (and, in case you’re wondering, I left of my own accord and was not fired).

>>>The Good
    Now here’s what’s good about BuzzBee: the employees.

For the most part, BuzzBee has a very buttoned-down, smart culture that seems to attract like-minded individuals. Because of this, you don’t really have to deal with some of the issues that other larger companies can get caught up on such as strict job roles and overbearing bureaucracy.

Another good thing about BuzzBee is the schedule. You can pretty much come in when you like and often have the freedom to work from home.

Cons

So what about the bad?

>>>The Work: In my estimation, this is where the “bad” begins. BuzzBee really has no focus in terms of what types of marketing work it can/can’t do and what types it will/won’t do. Because of this, it takes every little turd that gets lobbed its way. If you’ve ever done work with Microsoft, you know how stinky that can get.

>>>The Hours: At BuzzBee, your base line is 45 hours...not 40. Not surprisingly, they don’t advertise this fact until after you’ve been hired. What’s 1 extra hour a week you ask? A lot. Those 5 extra hours per week translate to 240 hours per year that BuzzBee essentially gets for free. And, because BuzzBee often plays the role of a tech marketing garcon, it’s astounding how often your 45 hours turns into 55+.

>>>The Leadership: If BuzzBee could capture 1/10 of the unmerited braggadocio and hubris from most of the upper “leadership” and convert it into clean energy, we’d have enough to power the city of Seattle for decades to come. Yep, it’s that bad.

>>>The Compensation: On the surface, BuzzBee’s compensation package isn’t really bad, just average. When using Payscale and other comparative sites, the medical, 401K, and pay (at least for low to mid level employees) is about middle of the road when compared to other similar-sized companies. But, the compensation moves into the “bad” territory when you look at how many hours you actually have to put in to get it.

>>>Sadly, most of the ills of this company can be boiled down to one person: Michele Keeffe, the CEO of BuzzBee. She has a reputation (both inside and outside the company) for being mean-spirited, stingy, demeaning, arrogant, and spurious, and, as much as it pains me to say this about another human being, those titles are pretty fitting in this case. But, to be fair, she’s not always like that. But, because her mood swings are so random and drastic, everyone is always on edge. One moment, she’s treating you like you’re the best thing since ice cream and the next she’s screaming at you for making a suggestion she doesn’t agree with.

My honest to goodness belief is that BuzzBee will only become a great company with a changing of the guards. Unfortunately, the guard owns the company and...well...we know how that story goes.

Lack of leadership, lack of direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people. From Account Management to Creative to Operations, BuzzBee has done a great job hiring amazing people. Pioneer Square location puts employees in the heartbeat of the city. Open, creative feeling office space makes going to work easy.

Cons

Leadership exits have left a void and lack of direction. The firm isn't adapting to changing marketing dynamics and is dependent on legacy clients. Short-term management focus saps creativity and client nurturing.

Take care of the firm's assets, its people. Manage for the mid- to long-term.

Not what it once was

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Competent people who are a joy to work with. Skill building for career newbies.

Cons

Lack of focus, poor employee treatment, and erratic leadership behavior undermine the good. High expectations and scant rewards.

Take care of people and value their individual contributions if you want them to thrive. Go back to being at least somewhat transparent, rather than employing fear and manipulation and playing people against each other. Listen to employees' thoughts about the strategic vision if you want them to buy in and drive it forward.

Be Careful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

If you like building traditional sales tools, like PowerPoint presentations and white papers, this company provides lots of opportunity to do so. They have a good set of enterprise technology clients.

Cons

The culture is really bad. People are treated like dispensable cattle. As a result you will see good employees come and go routinely. Unchecked egos/attitudes from the top down and lack of clear processes leads to many problems.

Learn from your historical mistakes that lead to personnel problems. Value the skills of your employees and create processes that help people grow in their roles.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

BuzzBee has a great office culture! It is a smaller company, which allows for an engaging and collaborative office environment. I have experience with small and large companies and can say that BuzzBee is a great place to work with well-built teams.

Cons

It’s a smaller company where every employee is expected to pull their weight.

Continue to engaging the collaborative culture with fun activities, as well as collaborative business opportunities.

Amazing coworkers and great company culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Half of my closest friends I met through working at BuzzBee. It says a lot about the care and attention given to hiring the right people. The culture is extremely employee driven, and it results in very strong relationships.

Cons

Because we are a busy agency, prioritizing the work load can be difficult. The strategic plan seems to be helping, but despite the attention to a good work/life balance more emphasis could be given to the work load balance.

Continue to look for ways to streamline our internal initiatives that map back to our strategic goals to help us stay focused on what is most important.

Worked for BuzzBee? Contribute to the Community!