BuzzFeed

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
4.2

Jonah Peretti

So much freedom and trust.

I have been working at BuzzFeed

Pros

Best part of this job, as someone who never worked professionally in the arena which I am now a full time employee, is the trust you're given; you are thoroughly trained but soon after the training wheels are off and you are trusted to go ahead and start kicking butt. This whole idea of trust builds so much confidence, and that confidence is simply infectious, and makes for a very positive work environment. There is a healthy sense of competition but it is far from "every man for himself"; my department is all about helping one another because our focus is being the best we can all around, because our ideas and content are good when we are all just focused on doing well, not surpassing one another.
    This is a company that welcomes diversity, that wants people who have different work and study backgrounds- as long as you have "it", meaning the grasp of the Buzzfeed voice, the kind of wit and taste level they are looking for, and a talent for your departments focus.
    All around, I feel extremely lucky to go to work at Buzzfeed every day. Such a sense of community, great fun, hard working people, and perks that are off the hook (amazing celebrity guest speakers! Fun corporate sponsored events! Free lunch three times a week! Discount gym membership! That snack room!)

Cons

None yet! At first I felt like I was trained and then left to figure the actual working part out on my own, which made me nervous, but now I see that it was a very smart tactic that builds our confidence within ourselves as well as let's us learn ourselves how to manage our time and workload, which echoes my praise of the trust we are shown.

Keep up the fantastic work. Every manager I've met has a unique style, which makes for a very well rounded environment. I feel like I am listened to, respected, and encouraged which reflects in my work very positively and helps me improve each day. As a relative newbie, I really must say that Buzzfeed has continuously impressed me and surpassed my expectations for working in an office.

Amazing job and company.

Current Employee - Writer/Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Writer/Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent learning experience, great people (for the most part) and diverse work opportunities.

Cons

There's an enormous amount of passive aggression displayed throughout management and entry-level positions.

Best place to work

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Incredible, smart people. Great culture. Excellent perks, career development opportunities, and ongoing leadership training.

Cons

No 401k matching but that's pretty much it

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very smart, entrepreneurial and funny! Great perks!

Cons

No 401k matching, but that's the only thing I can think of!

Doing things differently doesn't mean you're doing things better

I worked at BuzzFeed

Pros

A great concept for creating media, BuzzFeed has earned it's dominance over sharable content with smart editorial content. To a young person, free lunch twice a week, and free beer and ice cream are a valuable draw. The work environment is open and flowing, and the open space and traveling laptop system is helpful for creative types that don't want to stay tethered to a workstation.

Cons

Recruiters are under pressure to fill positions of a fast growing company and often sell you a job and possibilities of mobility that you basically don't get. The unfortunate bi-product is that new-comers are blind sided by the bandwidth of work, offered little mentorship, and allowed to fail when they can't keep up with a broken system. There's a culture of 'we do things differently' which in some instances ends up being code for for 'we have some extremely inexperienced producers' The Kool Aid is thick and the culture isn't for everyone. There's tremendous value in having a young team and promoting from within, but that can lead to a foundation based on inexperience.

Advise recruiters not to manipulate or sugar coat the roles they offer, and make sure your managers are being managers to their team.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (less than an year)

Pros

work is challenging, rewards are amazing

Cons

so many distractions (free food, celebrity visits, brews!)

keep doing what you're doing. don't ever change (in bad ways).

Fun but comes with strings

Former Employee - Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The workplace environment is amazing, the people that work there are unique and friendly. The company pays for a lot of out-of-office perks like free lunches and happy hours.

Cons

You don't always get to write about things that matter to you, sometimes things you don't necessarily agree with or think are important.

Be more transparent with employees about what you're looking for.

Good if you drink the kool aid

I have been working at BuzzFeed

Pros

-lunch provided twice a week
    -bimonthly beers
    -open office plan
    -weekly bagel breakfast
    -supported creative atmosphere

Cons

-everyone is very proud to be here. If you love BuzzFeed, it'll go great. If you are on the fence about BuzzFeed, not so much.

Great place to work!

I worked at BuzzFeed

Pros

Definitely a place that treats employees well.

Cons

The elevator is slow. :)

I can't think of any...

Creative high growth atmosphere

I worked at BuzzFeed

Pros

Super creative, high growth atmosphere. Great respect for engineers and content folk a like, which is rare. Buzzfeed is big and will get bigger.

Cons

Some of the people at BuzzFeed are there just for historic reasons. Many of the folks (esp on content on biz side) are not the nicest people you'll meet.