Byer California

Allan Byer

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Spec Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Spec Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- 3 months of training is great for someone new to the industry

Cons

- little room for growth

STRESSFUL and two sided.

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great potential to learn. Chances are given to people with little experience.

Cons

Minimal training. You have to rely on coworkers to answer questions and help. If you are in merchandising, there is no work/life balance. Huge work load and not enough help. Extremely stressful environment. Management plays the blame game and does not take responsibility for their actions.

Longer training would lead to more confident staff.. Maybe there wouldn't be such a high turn over rate if management took more responsibility.

A few hiccups, but great experience

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to gain experience is nearly unheard of in my industry. In IT, most want to jump from Help Desk to Systems Administration. It suffers from the same issues a college graduate would, most places want experience to administer systems, but you can't get experience without the job. Byer affords you the opportunity to be hired as Help Desk, and with time learn Systems Administration. You won't be doing it right out of the gate, you have to learn the basics first, but I don't know of any other company that let's you touch production systems as a Help Desk employee. Your opportunity to grow and learn is nearly limitless. It has to be reined back at times (can't risk the production environment; this is a mission critical environment after all) but the fact that you can explore just about any specialty that fancies your interest is unprecedented. This is a medium sized business, so you may not get to touch the really high end stuff (we don't have the really high end stuff), but you can easily build a VERY solid foundation in just about anything you like. Storage, Windows server, AD, a little Linux, a little software development, what have you.

A lot of us in tech have a difficult time interacting with people. We understand computers more than we understand people. At this company, you get a chance to interact with a LOT of people, learn a lot of personalities, learn how to satisfy the customer. You are bound to make mistakes along the way, and management will generally understand. The one thing I can say, make sure to talk to your direct supervisors as much as you can. Don't be afraid to let them know of your concerns, desires and experiences. They understand that not every interaction is going to go well. This is a high pressure environment, so I've seen more than a few people crack under the pressure. Don't quit, it's highly unlikely they'll fire you and you have nowhere to go but up.

Cons

Management can be constrictive at times, sometimes it seems like for no reason, but keep in mind, their decisions are above your pay grade. I'm actually trying to describe a con here, but I don't think I'll be able to do so. The pressure can be very high at times. Sometimes it seems like everything is breaking, and be that because the users are not using the systems properly, or because sometimes the cost is so high to replace a malfunctioning system that the process has to be reviewed before anything happens...either way, you can catch a lot of flack from people, but I really do feel like it's a very family company, as in we are one big happy family. I know some might think I'm being paid to post this "critical" review, and let me address this question; I'm definitely the most difficult person with whom to interact, I have the most reason to be critical of this company, but Byer feels like a home to me.

In summation; the pressure is going to be VERY high, no matter to what department you are a part. Sometimes you're going to go home very late at night and with every ounce of your soul want to quit. Don't. This company makes strong people. The weak don't belong here. If that statement makes you question whether you should join the company; then you shouldn't. If you're the type that considers that statement a challenge, come test your grit with us.

In hindsight, I don't have much. We, as a company, take people with little experience and build them into strong people. That can at times include management.

An company that doesn't define it's customer.

Current Employee - CAD Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CAD Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A pretty good work environment. Not very stressful.

Cons

Too conservative and slow moving. Compensation low for San Francisco. No reviews. No raises.

Define your customer. Start your own label. Pay people and listen to their ideas. There are very few women in leadership roles.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Imports in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Imports in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, family owned company

Cons

Can be long hours w/no overtime (salary)

Couldn't get out of there fast enough

Former Employee - Associate Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California

Pros

- free parking
    - relatively easy to get to
    - met some good people (at the individual contributor level)

Cons

- forced to work Saturdays w/o overtime or comp days (still think there's a case for a lawsuit here)
    - business practices are antiquated
    - jeans aren't allowed (except for Saturdays!?)
    - upper management has no clear vision for growth or the brand
    - no career advancement - everyone's been there for 15+ years

Treat your employees with respect and they'll reciprocate. Stop wasting money on elaborate "business trips", set per diem rates, and pay your employees a living wage. Invest in your company where it counts - not gimmicky ploys like YouTube videos and Facebook pages.

Not a good place to go if you want to get anywhere

Former Employee - Spec Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Spec Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California

Pros

Nice people who stick together (because they're all miserable). Kind sewing staff who often offered to help hem your pants. Cheap clothes.

Cons

A lot of employee turn over-- they fire people fairly often and people quit all the time. A lot of people have to work on Saturdays. Management is incredibly disrespectful and even makes crude comments to people. They underpay their employees-- don't have any sort of review process or even feedback system.

ummm some sort of management training might be helpful-- it's basically the least respectful and most inefficiently run workplace you can imagine