Byram Healthcare

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
1.6

Perry Bernocchi

The worst management team I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in White Plains, NY

I worked at Byram Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job if you need one bad.

Cons

Must be in a clique in order to keep your job and HR is not for the employees. HR is working for management and they also do not inform employees of certain benefits. They only give this information to certain employees that brown nose HR and management. They change rules to avoid granting certain benefits.

Clean house starting with HR and then move to management.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!! Management is incompetent, dishonest, inefficient, and highly unorganized.

Former Employee - Equipment Coordinator/Account Management in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Byram Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job.
    The employees are hard working people, willing to help their fellow co-workers. If they were the management, it would be a great company.

Cons

1. GROSSLY INADEQUATE TRAINING. They do not provide any written instructions for anything, even how to use their 4 rather complicated computer systems or anything else for that matter. Writing anything down is not only frowned upon, it is often outright shunned. I'm not kidding.

Instead of taking the time to train you properly or make sure you know what you're doing, they simply tell you something once and then expect you to remember it forever. They don't want to take the time to make sure that you know what you're doing, because there is a LOT of information. Any mistakes that you make due to lack of proper training on their part, are then regarded as being entirely your fault. One time, actually several times, I got chewed out for making a mistake on something that I was never even taught how to handle in the first place (pharmacy orders).

2. UNFAIR TREATMENT. I was written up for not filling out the prescriptions before sending them to the doctors to sign (because I was never told that I had to do so in the first place). At least three other people were doing the same thing (and I gave them proof of it), yet none of them were not written up for it.

3. THEY LIE... A LOT. When I was written up for the aforementioned incident, they said that no one else was having this problem, except for me. I then informed them that others did have this problem and provided them with proof of it, to which they responded, "We're not talking about anyone else here. We're talking about you." (Um, yes you were.) A week later, my manager called to his desk one of the women who was doing the same thing I had been written up for. Instead of writing her up, however, he merely told her to stop doing it and sent her back to her desk. (If needs be, I will provide the names and dates of the people involved. I do have them.)

At the time of my write up, they told me that I would have two written warnings before being terminated. I was only given one and they were for two completely different things. When I requested a copy of the write up, they denied it.

4. MANAGERS DO NOT TRAIN EVERYONE EQUALLY. In order to ensure that everyone has a fair shot at success, you must make the other employees treat everyone equally in terms of orders they are sent to fill. Allowing one person to be sent 20 orders, while another person only receives 5 or 6 will pretty much ensure that the first person succeeds and the second person doesn't. Management: don't let the employees decide who gets what. You are the manager. Your job is to make sure that people are treated equally. That's what management is. If you don't have the backbone to do that, then you don't belong in management.

5. NO UNIFORMITY. Lack of uniformity in a department is a tell-tale sign of bad management. While I was employed at Diabetes Specialty Center (a subsidiary of Byram Healthcare), I had to ask two or three different people how to do practically everything, because 9 times out of 10, everyone I asked told me something different. Management couldn't be bothered to do their job, so others had to pick up their slack.

6. SOLIDARITY... OF STUPIDITY. Instead of changing their mistakes and their incompetent business practices, they get up on their high horses and say, "This is the way we do things around here, and we're not going to change." They (Diabetes Specialty Center, a subsidiary of Byram Healthcare) have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau and yet they act like they're doing everything right and don't need to change anything at all! How stupid is that? Very.

7. EVERYONE IS LEAVING THE COMPANY FOR A REASON. Ask anyone who works there and they will tell you that the turnover rate is extremely high, which it is. No one in their right mind wants to stay there once they figure out how bad it is to work there. If you have a college degree, avoid this company like the plague. It is bad. Most people don't stay longer than 3 months, and for good reason. It is bad.

Your current system of training and all around way of doing things is inefficient, ineffective, dishonest and will ultimately result in one or more of your clients dying from complications arising from not receiving their medical equipment on-time. And that is a fact. You are not selling VCRs. You are selling diabetic equipment. Act like it. Train people properly.

Calling everything a matter of "common sense" because you are too lazy to train people properly and then firing them for calling you on it (and saying it was something else), is incompetence of the highest order, if not downright mendacity. If you are not emotionally or intellectually mature enough to handle being management, then step down. There are plenty of people who have been there for five or more years who would be a lot better at management than you and would raise the company from the sickening depths to which it has sunk. You have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau and deservedly so. Stop trying to cover your own backsides by blaming everyone else for your managerial incompetence and inefficiency.

Management, if you are not one, prepare to pay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Byram Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Monday - Friday job Reasonable hours
    The other employees are a great group but for such a small call center and the number of temps i saw go in and out you could tell turnover was decent.

Cons

1. If you are not sales or management, prepare to be bullied.
    2. The system they use makes no sense and is at best horrid, everyone knows it and says it. However this company cannot seem to get it's act together.
    3. The material is not necessarily hard, just requires a lot of memorization.
    4. The rules they have in place are somewhat lacking the promotion of your growth. (they want you to be slave labor and will always fine a way to occupy every second of every day with 4 tasks.
    5. They don't do face to face termination. They wait until you leave and then let you know through the least conflict way. email, vm, whatever lets them avoid conflict. They also will not let you get your stuff after they term you.
    6. They pride themselves on operating on a skeleton crew and will continue to do it.
    7. No real opportunity for growth.
    8. Works with temp agencies in order to keep cost low. Don't expect to get paid much for your first 6 months.

Try not to treat the customer service agents like they are children. You keep mentioning that you want long term people, yet when people try to be comfortable, you do all you can to turn them away. If you want a company of long term employees support a healthy culture.

Avoid Byram Healthcare like the pelage

I worked at Byram Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Byram Healthcare is one of those companies I would suggest to avoid due to the fact of total disorganization and the fear of be fired if any attempts for any offers of improvement . The senior management works so far in the cloud, there is no notice of the discontent that exists in the workforce. Everyone is afraid that this could be their last day at work, that nothing is ever done. There is no team work or even the concept of Synergy. If there was a choice to work for this company or not work at all, take not work at all. Working for this company will leave a stain of desegregate.

Cons

The only con is not work for this company, it is a bad place.

Take a real look at what you line managers and leads are doing. Failure is coming your way, get prepared.

Unimpressive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Byram Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An individual can make lasting friendships.

Cons

Where to begin… Byram has been if nothing else a place where an individual can make friends. Byram is not an organization that encourages forward thinking individuals who want to bring this company into the 21st century. The management team at all levels is stuck in the “it’s always been done this way or it’s the Byram way and it works” rut that has placed this organization in jeopardy of losing its market place. The Byram way is the wrong way, upper management, stakeholders, shareholders, and owners need to address the obscene turnover rate taking place at the Downers Grove location, when all level of employees are leaving as fast as they can it should be an indication to upper management that something is seriously wrong. Yes every few years an organization can and often does go through turnover, however when you have dozens jumping ship like rats on the Titanic be open to the possibility that management is the cause.

Seriously review why there is such a high turnover rate. Review your ORG chart and make the necessary changes to the leaders in key positions that are preventing this organization from being great.

Unorganized and difficult place to work....

I worked at Byram Healthcare (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have made many lifelong friends and enjoyed working with customers

Cons

Unorganized top management, supervisors and middle managers can never complete a task because management does not ever know what they are looking for! Little to no work life balance, you are frowned upon and talked about instead of management addressing an issue head on. Rules change daily and do not apply to everyone. I have to say my time at Byram has been very challenging. There are unrealistic expectations placed on employees of all levels. The company has grown tremendously but staffing levels have remained the same. Byram was once a great place to work, the top level management will continue to ruin this company and chase the talent right out of the door.

How could you ever expect hardworking talented people to stay when you do not even value your employees? Start looking and caring about what the employees are saying, read the rest of the reviews they all say the same thing. Open your eyes!! Most importantly; if you want to retain employees start leading by example!

I've worked for Byram for almost 10 years.

I have been working at Byram Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company encourages individuals to learn; the benefits are very good and the people are friendly.

Cons

Changes happen quickly and sometimes without sound planning.

Last person they care about is their employee

I worked at Byram Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great marketing materials, reimbursement for expenses is painless, patient care is a main focus

Cons

customer service is poor which impacts the account managers' numbers
    upper management constantly finds way to take revenue away from account managers or not report it to them. The spiffs they do have a seriously a joke. The longer the person is there, the more they screw them over. You are only paid on first time orders which many times are less than the first reorder. I've never not trusted a company more - have no interest in me achieving goals

care about the employees, hire competant customer service reps, invest in actual product or sales training and reprimend those that it is well known are getting around the rules. don't reward them Have some ethics and pride in your work

Good company, good business

Current Employee - IT Tech in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - IT Tech in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Byram Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Straight forward work. This was a few years ago when they were switching from long term health to diabetes.

Cons

Leadership turned over a few times at the C level. Brought in a lot of good ol' boys and friends and got rid of some good people in the process.

Listen to the front lines more.

Hostile Work Environment

I have been working at Byram Healthcare

Pros

My manager who seeks to bring a change.

Cons

Upper management continues to avoid some real issue regarding a few employees who continue to harass other employees. This type of behavior is openly based on race. Managements answer to this issue has been to just ignore that person and continue focusing on your job duties even though this person has continued time after time to openly harass other employees. This type of behavior can't be ignored it's going to lead to a huge lawsuit or worse physical altercations. These words are true because I have witnessed her on the floor racially harass her coworker. I will go over human resources and direct my concerns in an open letter to the CEO. The DG office is not a healthy work environment .

DG management needs to stop ignoring this issue, stop lying about it to senior mgmnt, stop telling us to ignore her, stop being afraid of her and confront her actions and words directly with harsh repercussions if she continues.