Byrne Dairy Reviews

Wet

Former Employee - Preventative Maintenance  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Preventative Maintenance in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Byrne Dairy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work independantly, Sedatisfied with my immediate supervisor

Cons

Wet, cold, hot and not much potential for advancement

Promises made - not kept.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Byrne Dairy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Blue collar people enjoyable. Work was rewarding, although the right people didn't see the accomplishments. Compensation was okay, depending on job function.

Cons

There is no personal growth unless you are good friends with someone higher up. They promote values but do not adhere to them. Definitely no perks.

The Byrne family needs to spend more time talking to the blue collar workers as they are the one with the hands on experience and deal with the upper crust on a daily basis. This should be kept confidential, which currently does not happen with the supervisors.

No job security here !!!

I worked at Byrne Dairy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

was a very good place to work, gradually the "environment" turned unbearable

Cons

wanted all work, no "life"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

I have been working at Byrne Dairy

Pros

$5 gift card for holidays,

Cons

Low pay, horrible hours, no time off, horrific management, no benefits.

It's a job, but so much high school drama.

Former Employee - Cashier & Deli Worker  in  Brockport, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier & Deli Worker in Brockport, NY

I worked at Byrne Dairy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Regulars make your day, Tasks are fairly simple, but there is always enough to keep you occupied. If you work your butt off, you have a better chance at getting the shift you desire for the following week.

Cons

It took me 9 months of being there to finally receive the 90 day raise they tell you you're supposed to get & 4 months to get my one year raise.
    The store never closes, meaning you get stuck working holidays.
    Food service side of the store is often short handed; especially in the summer when ice cream is open.

Be careful of the managers you have in your stores and make sure the DMs are hands on & involved with the stores. Get to know the workers, not just the managers; you don't have a store and people to serve customers well without your cashiers.
    Also, you should reconsider being open 365 day a year. You're taking people away from their families on holidays that they can never get back. If corporate isn't in the office on significant holidays then workers shouldn't have to be in the stores.

Don't work here! It's a waste of your life!!

Former Employee - Food Service Manager  in  Phelps, NY
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Phelps, NY

I worked at Byrne Dairy full-time

Pros

None at all that I can think of!

Cons

I do not recommend a "career" at Byrne dairy at any location. They treat all of their employees like trash. I didnt go in on my last day because my manager screamed at me the day before to "GET OFF MY GOD D*** PHONE" so I found some one to cover for me the next day being nice so they didn't have to suffer being short a person in the deli. I shouldn't of bothered now Im on their "non hireable" list. 5 people followed me out the door and two of those five people have Already left. What can I say? KARMA will bite you back! Screw you Byrne dairy!

Shut your company down. You suck!

Grunt Work, Plant WAY Behind The Times.

I have been working at Byrne Dairy

Pros

Free milk and juice, but only school lunch size cartons, can't take home, have to drink there.

Cons

I worked at the Oneida St. plant. That plant is very dangerous. They had me work 12 hour shifts every other day, also I was hired as a "Production Technician", what means to produce product. I spend at least half of my shift cleaning it seems like. It usually takes 3-4 hours to do a full clean on my machine I ran, which needs to be cleaned every 24 hours. Also sense the company has been in this building sense the 40s or so, everything is very congested, loud, hot and things are dripping on you consistently in there through out the day. There's also tracks along the floor that you need to step over and be watchful of, I've almost slipped and lost my footing on them numerous times. Also the tracks that takes the product from the filler to the cooler goes down a lot, so the milk is sitting out on the tracks in the hot plant for an "X" amount of time. Along with the tracks, the machines, labeler and coder on the machines, including mine go down a lot, and needs maintenance to be "rigged". They don't ever fix them, they just make them work for now. And the crater what puts the bottles in the crates consistently jams, so you have to empty it out. When cleaning the machine, you need to add acid to the water, which if you get any on you, can potentially burn you. Try carrying a pitcher of that stuff, with a face shield on that's fogged up, with big rubber gloves on, stepping over about 3 different sets of tracks, not easy. So for, $11.32 an hour what they start "Production Technicians" out at, it's not worth it. Also, it seems almost everyone I talked to in the break room, their either talking about, who else it hiring, when their leaving, when their looking to leave, or want to leave. If Byrne wants to be in business for another 80 years, they need to update their production equipment and make their plant a more organized and safe place to work.

Fun in-store atmosphere, but absolutely worthless as a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Horseheads, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horseheads, NY

I have been working at Byrne Dairy

Pros

As the headline says, the primary pro of this company is the wonderful customers that make their daily visits, the friends you make, and [usually] the people you work with.

The company hosts two very nice luncheons, one in the spring and one in the fall, so that employees can voice opinions and learn more about the company. They also host a great summer family picnic with games, food, and entertainment.

ALL employees receive a paid vacation which is based on your average # of hours worked.

You get 5$ byrne gift card for your b-day, as well as another 20$ at Christmas. Byrne cards must be used on Byrne products (milk, butter, eggs, bread, etc.). They also have a nice scholarship program for students in college (between $500 and $1000).

Cons

Most people don't realize that Byrne Dairy Stores (SonByrne Sales) and the actual Byrne Dairy are 2 completely separate companies. The dairy itself (headed by Carl Byrne)is quite nice and they are dedicated to bringing quality products and services. The dairy also delivers to many places, Walmart, Aldis, and others. This review is focused on the store (headed by Mark Byrne). His leadership thus far has been poor. Looking through the other reviews alone will show you that since stepping into the role, employees have become disgruntled.

Do not expect much of a career with this company. The perks that they say the offer in 'employees wanted' adds are generally only available to managers. They very rarely promote from within the company; health benefits are only available to those working over 32hrs on average (generally only managers); and the bonus programs are practically non-existent.

Starting pay is $7.30 / hr, far from competitive.

They might do a yearly review, but they will generally they gloss over it...along with the raise that comes with it. You will be lucky if you see it (the review or the raise). Or they will tell you you got a raise, but you won't see it and will have to hound them to find out about it and implement it.

The communication within the company is horrible. It is quite common to have the company managers, regional, district, and store managers all on different pages and in turn telling employees different things. This creates a very frustrating and stressful work place because the employees will get blamed for mistakes.

There are really only two primary reasons to work for the company 1) you simply need a job, or 2) you are a student who wants to pick up a few extra dollars. This is not a career based company, and you have to fight for any raise, perks, or advancement within the company.

I strongly believe that this is a company that is already beginning to crumble. From the overstaffed & top-heavy management, to the poor training, failure to follow through with programs (CHAMPS, Safety Scratch-Off, Reviews and raises), lack of employee recognition, to the poor choices and decisions. Top sales consist of beer, cigs, and dairy products. Without Byrne Dairy (the dairy plant) to carry it, Sonbyrne sales would be dead in the water with the current leadership. From an employee standpoint, the company has went from being a family oriented business to one that is nothing more than greed. Profits and sales are up, but at the sole cost of employee happiness. It makes me wonder how much better things could be if the employees were happy.

When the company has luncheons and picnics, listen to the employees!! These get-togethers have become nothing more than a glorified sham. Top management cuts down opinions, avoids topics, and intimidates employees so that they are afraid to speak their mind.

It is sad to say, but if given the chance to freely state their opinion without being intimidated or ignored, I would bet nearly every employee would agree. This is a company that is filled with negativity and resentment from the bottom up.

It got it's ups and downs just like anywhere, but the employees are like family.

Current Employee - Clerk/Operner  in  Elbridge, NY
    Current Employee - Clerk/Operner in Elbridge, NY

I have been working at Byrne Dairy

Pros

If your son needs to go to the doctors or the hospital everyone work together. You are able to leave and be there for your kids. They are very family friendly company, who understand the importance of company and family. Which is unlike some of your cooperate business.

Cons

The pay could be better, our store could use a few more staffing hours.

The communations could be better and work on making sure that employees areall getting the yearly review and some employees are not being skipped.

its a job I guess.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Byrne Dairy

Pros

I like to meet new people..which I see people everyday as a cashier.

Cons

no raises...been with the company for 7 yrs..and it seems no one appricates the time I have put in with the company...they took our bonus away we no longer get them no more..no support from the higher ups..overall not very happy with the company anymore.

you need to pay more attention to your employees and treat them better show them support and that you really do care.

Worked for Byrne Dairy? Contribute to the Community!