www.c-4analytics.com

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
3.6

Michael Weiss

Great and rewarding company to work for! My best career move yet.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think this is one of the best decisions that I could have made to work here. The range of skills and responsibilities that this job provides is unparalleled. The environment is fast-paced, and I feel like I am constantly challenged and growing. The employees are easily the best that I have gotten the chance to work with and the level of collaboration is amazing. Every employee is more than happy to help the other with tough projects, basic tasks, or client meetings. Management is helpful and usually tapped into what is going on on the ground and helpful with nearly everything. Account Managers have an opportunity to work independently or to seek help when necessary. Given the wide range of services that the company offers, there are limitless amounts of knowledge that can be easily gained here, and the motivation to share new insights and innovation is very present. It's great to be working at a place that is tapped into all of the newest and cutting edge technologies in this sphere. The company is growing very quickly and is learning to better and better handle the growing pains. Although, the clients can often be more demanding than most, this is a great learn moment for anyone looking for a career in client management. GREAT PLACE TO BE!!!!

Cons

Often times the hours are long, so work life balance can be challenging. There are still many internal processes that could use innovation and more efficient design and there needs to be a bit more concerted effort to find new solutions and to implement them. Location is a small bummer - would be nice to be in the city, but it really isn't that bad. Sometimes adequate support can be difficult to come by, and there are stressful weeks and it is definitely on the agenda for the company.

It would useful to look into more business development opportunities to further streamline our processes.

Years of promises with nothing to show for it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people remain the #1 pro. If you have good chemistry with your immediate coworkers it becomes a lot easier to stick it out longer.

Salaries have gotten better over the years, at least for they type of talent they are hiring. Straight out of college, it can be a good way to get your foot in the door of the industry and use the experience as a stepping stone.

You learn which red flags to look out for in future job searches.

Since there are a lot of clients in the automotive industry all over the US it will be a long time before they burn through them all or really ruin their reputation enough to not be able to gain new business.

Cons

They still use the churn and burn method for both employees and clients. While they brag about getting awards for company growth, they fail to mention that while they hired a large percentage of new employees, that is largely due to losing a large percentage and needing to fill positions.

Rather than focus on growing the talent within their "service" departments, all the focus is on growing the amount of account managers on staff and making them compete against each other for the senior titles. The result is a lot of talented employees who actually create things leaving and a lot of social climbers staying and trying to play Mike and Justin's game of favorites.

The standards employees are held to are very inconsistent. One day, the owners initiate taking tequila shots at noon, the next employees aren't allowed to have a beer with lunch. There are those who bust their tail every day trying to have their work speak for them and see little-to-no reward, and there are others who make the owners feel good about themselves that get to coast through every day.

What's the use? You've had all of these reviews and all of the feedback from current and former employees and all you've done with it is use it to try and weed out those with a "bad attitude" rather than focus on fixing the issues causing the low morale.

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, CURRENT AND FORMER!

The grass isn't always greener...

Former Employee - SEO Analyst in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Analyst in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Super fun, start-up environment. Relatively lax atmosphere without micromanagement. Your peers are extraordinarily talented individuals. The owners are generous and approachable. The company was years ahead of the industry and has been insanely successfully. Because of the intense growth, promotions occur quickly and frequently. Upward mobility within the company is commonplace if you work hard and your work is noticed. It was a genuinely fun and exciting place to work and I got to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. I can honestly say it was one of the best jobs I have ever had.

Cons

There is a major leaning curve here. I was an information technology major and thought I could just jump in and learn everything in a few weeks. I thought wrong. Even though it was fun and exciting there were long hours and very stressful client accounts. I worked primarily with automotive clients and maybe one or two retail companies. I learned an incredible amount about the industry in the year or so I worked there. They were doing very complicated analytics before anyone knew what analytics was. While I know the company appreciated my work I can't say that I ever felt my clients did. While I got a ton of invaluable real life experience I eventually took an in house automotive position that promised significantly more money and upside. Like the title says lets just say the grass isn't always greener. Leaving was definitely a mistake. The company has continued its upward trajectory and sitting on the sideline hasn't been great. The new job I took was way oversold to me and I the people I worked with at C-4 went on to management positions. I actually reached out to Mike and Justin when I realized I made a mistake and although they didn't give me my job back they wrote me a letter that helped me land what is basically my dream job. I am very greatful. While I got great experience and everything ultimately worked out for me I would say the worse thing was leaving and watching the success without me. It's pretty obvious after reviewing some of the other former employee reviews that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I think the difference between my five star and their one star review is that I realize that I made the mistake to leave. Life is full of lessons.

I wish you guys all the best and you deserve all the accolades and success you have earned. It seems like everyday there's another article or award and although I'm a little sad I'm not a part of it I couldn't be happier for you guys. Keep doing what you do. Thanks for everything you did for me.

A Great Place To Accelerate Your Career

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation & Recognition
    -Starting salaries appear to be average, but once you prove that you deliver incremental value to the company then raises and promotions come quickly. During my time at C-4, it was clear that the top performing employees were fast-tracked into senior/leadership roles.
    -Generous annual bonus, 401k w/3.5% match & a formal equity incentive plan are available.
    -Standardized processes for employee recognition; company awards multiple times each year, monthly cash reward for employees based on colleague feedback.

Culture
    -C-4 has attracted some incredible talent and personalities. I personally enjoyed going to work every day at C-4.
    -Collaborative work environment. Innovation is encouraged and teams (and ownership) are very receptive to new ideas - if you have an idea you will be encouraged to implement it.

Other
    -Professional development opportunities are available.
    -Contrary to what has been said here, the non-compete agreement which all employees sign is fair and not overly prohibitive.
    -Two remote working days per month.
    -Work-life balance - Standard work hours are 9-5:30. Some of the reviews here mention that you need to "drink the Kool Aid" and stay past 5:30 if you want to be recognized - that is not true.

If you are skilled and driven, then C-4 is a great place to accelerate your career. From my experience, if you, as an employee, take care of the company, then ownership will take care of you in return. C-4 Analytics is an industry-leading company with a stronger product than all of the large competitors in the space. Services/products at C-4 are continuously evolving on a weekly basis, and that is due largely to the talent pool which C-4 has retained.

Cons

-Hiring - C-4 has made some poor hiring decisions in the past, which only causes friction between employees/teams.
    -Clients - The vast majority of C-4's business comes from automotive dealerships, causing most of the work to be repetitive. While only a minority of these clients are unprofessional and abrasive, being forced to work with them definitely contributes to employee fatigue.
    -It can be unreasonably difficult at times to use earned paid time off or remote work days.
    -Review policy needs improvement. C-4 used to provide a review for employees after their first six months of employment, followed by annual reviews. However, C-4 has recently done away with the six-month review.
    -No exit interviews
    -Compensation/bonuses are not directly tied to performance.

-Make smarter hiring decisions and cut the dead weight which currently exists at the company or continue to cannibalize your own workforce.
    -Be more selective about the clients you work with - a verbally abusive client might pad the balance sheet but will cost you talent.
    -Compensation for leadership roles should include an objective-focused component i.e. bonus tied to team or department performance.

Work hard, play hard

I have been working at C-4 Analytics

Pros

There has been such a positive change since I've started. With a company growing so fast, there are bound to be minor bumps in the road, but nothing fatal to the culture of the company. I'd say the CEO's are doing the best they can.

With any job there is an outline you need to follow when you first start. Because of the company's rapid growth, you can essentially make your job what you want later in your career. It's a great way for management to connect with employees and for employees to feel they have been heard and not ignored. It's also the best way to promote positivity within and get the best ideas from the people that work with that specific criteria everyday - the employees. I wouldn't trade any experience here and feel that coming to work for C4 is the best decision I've made.

Cons

It's not the worst problem to have - everyone is "on top" of each other in the office because we've expanded so much within the last year. There are talks of moving to a larger space not too far from where we are now. Onward and upward.

Middle management - keep doing what you are doing. You guys are the best advocates for the employees and give great advice.

Senior management - keep an ear to the ground for any new ideas the employees have for improving the company. Continue to listen.

Growing up fast, imperfect but improving

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're smart, young, confident and willing to work hard, C-4 is a great place to get ahead relative to your peers. You'll be exposed to a lot of smart people, a lot of new ideas and demanding clients that will prepare you for the real world. If you're just out of school it's a good first job, and I think it's now a good place to be in your mid/late 20s now, too.

There's a lot of promotion from within when it comes to middle management jobs, which is a powerful incentive for employees. The flip side of that is everyone thinks they should be promoted, which can lead to conflict. A lot of the bitter reviews you read are from people who were passed over (some wrongfully, some rightfully) and couldn't deal with it.

The atmosphere here can be really fun. You'll form close friendships and get drinks with people after work. We get free beer on Friday afternoons and bagels on Tuesdays and bi-weekly free lunches, plus each department gets seasonal sponsored outings. These aren't reasons to take a job, of course, but they're little positives nonetheless, and even the people who truly disliked C-4 will admit that many of their co-workers were really thoughtful, fun and talented, which makes for a fun environment.

I cannot emphasize this enough: A lot of the negative reviews you'll read are from people who worked (emphasis on past tense) here, and sure, some are legitimate. C-4 doesn't have a perfect past. But there's also a solid base of ex-employees who live to haunt this company from the grave, and they no longer have any clue what goes on here.

C-4 is growing up. Benefits now include vision, dental and voluntary life insurance, raises and promotions are more structured and more fair and production departments are finally being built out. A lot of the salaries are decent, too, and the partners are generally open to negotiation.

Right now, it's a good time to be here, and if the old reviews are scaring you off, at least come in for an interview and ask some of the veterans why it's different now. It's easy to forget that this is a young company, but it's certainly trending up.

Cons

If you're an account manager, expect all the praise when you succeed and all the blame when something goes wrong; you're the star of the show, for better or worse. Upper management pays more attention to the production teams than they used to, but there's still disparity. In some ways, this has its advantages (less daily pressure, better work/life balance) but in other ways, it's a challenge (you can feel anonymous, slower to hire help).

Daily tasks can feel repetitive. If you come in at an entry-level position, there's going to be a focus on production.

Finally, don't expect flexibility when it comes to work hours. But, you do get a work from home day per month and if you're generally respectful of the (pretty lenient) rules, you earn a longer leash.

This has improved lately, but keep trying to make proactive hires, rather than waiting until a department or AM team is drowning. Try to make exits for employees who leave more graceful - a lot of the negative reviews here stem from unpleasant departures. Consider easing up on some of the reporting requirements for AMs, and ease up on the lunch/work hour policies. People here work really, really hard for you. If someone's abusing the rules, punish them, not everyone.

Overall, though, the company you built is getting much better, thanks in large part to better organizational structure, a focus on training and the new upper-middle management tier that seems genuinely invested in younger employees and the overall success of the company. Some of the recent hires you've made have proved to be outstanding.

Ignore the noise, keep up with the renewed focus on rewarding employees and keep hiring and succeeding. As long as we're growing and you treat people well, the reviews will even out, as they should.

Motivation and success are encouraged and highly valued

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I didn't know what to expect when I walked in for an interview and saw a foosball table next to a ping pong table. Clearly they know how to have a good time at work. I interviewed with three different people, all of whom seemed very down to earth, and then with management. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit intimidated because the questions came in rapid succession and being nervous I was a little off my game. At the same time it was refreshing that a potential employer was very straight forward. I could have taken it as they wanted to get me out of the office as quick as they could - but I didn't think of it that way. My first few months I was the last one turning off the lights to get to where I wanted my goals to be, but after I got settled I was more comfortable leaving at a normal-ish hour. Anything to get the job done correctly and keep my clients satisfied. My senior recognized my motivation and recommended me for a promotion - and management obliged. They also asked what my goals were and how they could help get me there. What job does that? I am on track to obtain my overall career goals and it's encouraged. I couldn't be happier.

Cons

With the company growth, the office does not accommodate the number of employees as comfortably as I would like - but that isn't necessary a bad problem to have. The building is also a bit run down.

Keep the open door policy. Thank you for letting me determine where I want to go in my career and providing me with the resources to do so.

Your Experience Truly Depends on Who You Are

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are willing to stroke egos and play into the owners'desire to be the kings of the cool kids, there are opportunities to rise quickly at C-4. Your primary skill will need to be talking the talk and drinking the drink (whether it's Scotch or Kool Aid). There are people who are happy at C-4; the challenge is to understand if you might be one of them.

If you are a year or two out of school and have been in environments where you struggled to be given responsibility, this might be good experience for you.

Cons

I've dragged my feet on writing a C-4 review, because it's hard to sound balanced when reviewing this company. I'm reviewing this company because I believe in paying it forward and helping other people make the right decisions regarding employment. I know that there will continue to be positive reviews on Glassdoor...yes, because the company encourages current employees to leave positive reviews but also legitimately because some people are really pleased to be there, occasionally for months at a time.

In short, I wouldn't advise working here outside of your first couple years out of school. If you have a couple years of experience and have become accustomed to defined goals, meaningful projects, and having the time to (at least occasionally) create good work, you are likely to struggle here. I was sold on a growing company, blablabla startup, blablabla data and analytics and technology, oh my! This phrase was big when I started: "A year or two from now, you'll be amazed where you will be." A year from then, I was seeking literally any other offer. Two years from then, C-4 will be a distant, funny-in-retrospect memory.

C-4 feels like a smaller company than it is, because a) few things that the company does are very complicated, so there is very limited process, b) the owners treat the company like their sandbox, and c) there is not much in the way of professionalism. (Oh and possibly also because they have half a dozen people squeezed in every office, nook, and cranny.) Everything runs on the owners' whims. They subscribe to Shiny Thing Management (sometimes called ADD Management) Theory, which states that if you are in charge, the most important thing is the thing that has caught your attention Right That Minute. It's a complex theory, but it's beautifully put into practice at C-4. Suddenly, you'll be put on a special project, Emergency! due by EOD!, and then it will languish in the partners' inboxes for weeks and ultimately be scrapped. Your time will not be respected; the work you do will not be respected. If you're okay with that, you'll be fine. If you feel remotely like an adult, capable of running projects and accustomed to having some small level of authority, it will be less fun.

Regardless of your position at C-4 (with maybe one or two exceptions), expect to be doing very repetitive work. The automotive industry is crazy broken, and so C-4 has developed a niche of serving dealerships with PPC, SEO, and a lot of repetitive creative produced overall. The vast majority of accounts are dealerships or dealership groups. When I was there, at any given time there were over a hundred individual dealerships and a handful of non-automotive clients. The few non-automotive are local businesses, such as movers or appliance centers. They tend not to keep non-automotive accounts for very long. If you work in a service department (anything aside from account management), it's pretty standard to have dozens of clients assigned to you, and your clients will change often. Churn is the name of the game at C-4--especially employees but also clients.

Because people leave quickly, promotions also happen quickly, particularly for account managers, whose work is more visible to the owners. Promotions are often dependent on your relationship with management than on your work, though everything is linked because the clients you get may depend on management, and your clients' perceptions tend to be key to your success. (Perceptions is the key word here.) There is really very little in place to make promotions mean more meaningful work, so you might get a fancier title and more money, but there is almost nowhere to go in terms of changing your day-to-day. Being part of management here mostly means a little more contact with the owners and some deeply irritating meetings. The owners perform all reviews, though they MIGHT ask you as a manager to write something before that review. It's unclear to me whether they will also read what you wrote.

A lot of reviewers mention the people at C-4, and indeed I worked with a lot of great people, but it's tough to talk about employees when, a couple months after leaving, you're likely not to know the majority of people there. You will join a company of 50+ people, likely mostly close to your age, and the culture tends to push people together, so you will likely come out with a core group that you trust and really like working with. There will be others you do not trust and do not like working with, partly because the culture encourages nudging colleagues toward the underbelly of large, noisy, and fast-moving people transporters but also simply because, generally, a lot of people suck, and if you stay at C-4 for any considerable period, you will work (briefly) with a lot of people. Law of averages and all.

Oh yeah, the benefits are not-so-great. They sort of rely on most people remaining on their parents' insurance. Honestly, financial considerations like this one kind of went out the window when I was at C-4 just because I was absurdly unhappy there and my health insurance premiums just didn't seem like my biggest problem.

The office is also kind of the worst, unless you really, really dig Route 1 in Saugus. And you've never been remotely scared that you might get stuck inside a poorly functioning elevator.

Oh, and company-wide emailing is a thing there, and management really cares who contributes. So expect every chain to be a nightmare of enthusiastic one-upmanship. A POSITIVE ATTITUDE expressed with A LOT OF exclamation points is the greatest gift you can give C-4!!!!!!!!

Just try to understand what the people who work for you are actually doing every day, and recruit accordingly. Your recruiting sweet spot is relatively low-level people who are motivated by money and (silly trumped up) titles. I would say more about listening to people, but I just can't do it with a straight face. Keep doin' what you're doin', only because it's the only thing you know how to do.

Solid Agency - And They Have Hearts of Gold

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I wasn't compelled to write a review during or after my term of employment, however after reading some of the reviews here, I felt compelled to set it straight. I worked for the company for a few years and then left on my own accord. I didn't have another job, but I actually had a sick relative to take care of.

My time at the company was filled with super busy days, working on brand new cutting edge strategies that at times were the first to be implemented anywhere. It was good work, and it was busy work. Then, something in my family happened and I had to go home to become a caretaker. It was not ideal, but I also wanted to save face by handing in my resignation, and not telling anyone I had to take on this task - to be honest, it was a bit embarrassing.

After I left, a group of former employees poked fun at the company for losing me, but I didn't say anything to defend myself or the company. Then the unthinkable happened. I went into major financial debt. Having no income coupled with the burden of a sick relative really took a toll on me and my family. I remembered calling the owners to talk to them about coming back, but then they did something that took me by surprise. They covered my expenses by giving me money I needed and told me when I was ready, I could come back and work for them again.

I don't care what anyone says, but these guys have hearts of gold and looking back, I not only learned a ton, but I really developed some great skills that I can use anywhere. The company is a really solid place to work. There used to be some employees there that were over the top personalities, but I guess you will find that anywhere. But I wanted to make sure everyone knew what a great company it was to work at and what hearts of gold they have.

Cons

From the minute you walk in till the end of the day, you are busy. Not everyone likes this. The office space is nice. Not sure what everyone is referring to about it being crowded, but it is an open atmosphere, so no personal calls at your desk!

You guys are amazing. Sara is an amazing resource there. Keep taking care of your employees, as you did to me.

Best Career Move I've Made

Current Employee - Accounts in Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Accounts in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, intellectuals, team players, bright minds, out of the box thinkers. That's what it is like to work for C-4 Analytics. I have been privileged to be able to work with these amazing people for over a year of my life. Some amazing things here are that all voices are heard - whether you're an intern or a team lead - your voice is just as important. In addition, growth is highly encouraged here in many different ways. All managers have been an associate on a team first before becoming managers. They hire from within. They respect opinions and any new ideas we bring to the table. They've never said no to an idea I brought to them.

Cons

It's busy here. The workspace is crammed, but that also leads to more team collaboration (and bonding!). It gets hot in the rooms!

Keep open communication with employees and keep the fresh, innovative approach to clients that we have and you can only go up from there!

C-4 Analytics Photos

C-4 Analytics
We couldn't be happier that it's Spring!
Their love for Analytics definitely helped with their brackets!

+ Add Photo