C.H. Robinson Worldwide

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Wiehoff

John P. Wiehoff

Pros
  • Fun culture, fast-paced environment, access to big projects, good 401k(in 25 reviews)

• Relaxed environment , helpful management ,great training , matching 401k , good benefits(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • When other reviewers say that there is a bad work/life balance, take it seriously(in 28 reviews)

• Long hours, repetitive work, sometimes very stressful situations(in 40 reviews)

great experience

ProsFast pace, awesome people, days go by fast

ConsLong hours, repetitive work, sometimes very stressful situations

Good job, not sure if enough career choices down the line

Customs Brokerage Account Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis was my first real job. I have enjoyed it so far. It has its challenging moments.

Great place to learn about shipping/logistics industry. Use computer program which links all the branches up, from the US to China, etc which is pretty cool to be sending emails to China and what not.

Laid back, lax dress code.

Pay is fair, and a lot of time off. Great if you are a working mother.

ConsNot enough room for advancement. In branch management doesn't really try to explain whats going on, just tell you to do your work. Learning new things flatlines at a certain point :(

Some people in my office are just content to come to work and go home everyday, which is cool, but with no offer of advancement of career (i.e. increase pay) this can get a bit depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on claiming to offer career paths.

Not what it used to be - Lawsuit waiting to happen

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe pros that used to make this an attractive place are fading fast. The culture, the people and the opportunity were second to none. There are still some great people left, but few of them are in management. Benefits are still pretty good, but that is offset by bad pay.

ConsTake to heart the cons of other reviews. There is no work/life balance. The hours are long, the pay is marginal at best. Senior leadership is full of incompetent people who were promoted up during the good years and now "lead" with the good old boy method. The company was sued 10 years ago for pay and promotion unbalance for women. Little has changed since then. There are also hundreds (thousands?) of employees who should be receiving overtime pay, but are not because the company is illegally categorizing them salaried. On top of those two major issues, hiring is a joke. CHR is a government contractor and has zero consistency across the board for interviewing and hiring. Each branch can do whatever they want and no training is required. And if all of that isn't enough, definitely don't work here if you are a mom, or a women who plans to have kids. The subtle discrimination runs rampant. This is not a female friendly company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some house cleaning on executive row. Wake up and realize that the good old boys club will not allow the company to continue to grow. Implement a performance and feedback process for management across the network. The autonomy that was once a good thing is allowing for very questionable practices that are taking you right back down the path to a major lawsuit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Carrier Representative (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGood pay, benefits, friendly co-workers, family company, room for advancement.

ConsSome of the leads, managers, and supervisors aren't friendly or helpful

Exciting

ProsThe company has Great benefits

Conssenior has a lot of micromanagement for lower hires

Advice to Senior Managementwe know what we have to do

OK, but probably not where you'd want to stay forever.

ProsGreat resume builder. Other companies recognize the experience in the logistics field.

ConsLong term is bleak if you have high goals. If you want to remain average and make few vertical moves, this is for you!

20 years with CHR and never a role I didn't enjoy.

ProsPerfect for the long term thinker / career minded person
    All the resources you need to be successful
    If you are successful in growing the business you will be rewarded in compensation and responsibility
    Opportunity to be creative / entrepreneurial
    Busy, challenging, fun

ConsWorking hours are reasonable but if you are looking for 35 hours a week or a 9 to 5 job this is not for you

HORRIBLE

Transportation Sales Representative (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFast paced, decent benefits. If you enjoy a few of the people you work with it makes it easier.

ConsWas by far the most negative, unprofessional, work environment. Extreme harassment and if you make one mistake its the end of the world. You don't realize how much stress you are put under until you leave there. Way under payed for the amount of time you spend there. LONG HOURS. 7:30-5:00. You can never be guaranteed that you will leave at 5. They will easily make you stay later JUST BECAUSE something isn't finished and you will NOT be paid for that. They never mention that you work ONE Saturday a month which is a huge inconvenience. Horrible work environment, toxic, stressful, exhausting. They do not care for their employees whatsoever. Heaven forbid you have a dentist or doctor apt. You feel like it is a " problem" just to take a day off, a day that you have earned. Recent college grads: if you want experience it is good but I don't think it is worth it in the long run for your sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is horrible. They do not send anyone to management training classes. The people they choose to be managers should have never been in the first place.

Fast-pace, little reward

Account Manager (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsFun culture, fast-paced environment, access to big projects, good 401k.

ConsWork-life balance, bonuses. Each branch is decentralized so managers have the ability to divvy up profit and they determine bonus payouts (enriching themselves by starving the AM's busting their butts everyday).

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people that are doing the hard work and making you money. Don't just take it all for yourself.

The Times are Changing

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsAutonomy, Upbeat Lively Office Setting

ConsJob Security the company was customer centric and now its stockholder centric

Worked for C.H. Robinson Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!