C.H. Robinson Worldwide Reviews

424 reviews filtered by
3.1
C.H. Robinson Worldwide Chairman & CEO John P. Wiehoff
John P. Wiehoff

Pros
  • good benefits, exicitng work environment, opp for advancement (in 33 reviews)

• fast paced, high energy, great people (for the most part), little to no micro-management (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • When other reviewers say that there is a bad work/life balance, take it seriously (in 29 reviews)

• Long hours, can be stressful, always working or feel like you are working (in 49 reviews)

1. Account Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given responsibilities from day 1, which allows for a lot of learning to happen. The environment is very friendly and the activities are quite challenging.

Cons

It is a 24/7 job, but that comes with the industry as you are controlling hauling goods from point A to point B.

Advice to Management

CHR Mexico should have more opportunities to grow as in the US.

2. Freight broker

Current Employee - Buyer in West DePointford, NJ
    Current Employee - Buyer in West DePointford, NJ

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, team based

Cons

Long hours, some weekends

3. CH Robinson

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide

Pros

Flexible Hours and i like the branch.

Cons

I still not have found any.

5. Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable working environment; enjoyed working with an overall younger group of employees. Stock options were decent. Also enjoyed getting an opportunity to manage different accounts over the years. Good started career, but most employees leave within 2 years for greener pastures.

Cons

The overall younger age of employees influenced a "nanny state" of management. I did not like that every basically punched a time clock. All of my work required a computer and a phone, but I certainly could have worked form home and would have appreciated the option to do so from time to time. Very limited upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Revise pay scale. Reward the best employees that work hard and get rid of the slackers. I left because I repeatedly made lots of money for the company on numerous accounts, but was not reasonably compensated for my success.

6. Great entry level experience, difficult for upward mobility

Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience
    Available classes internally to learn and grow
    Great benefits

Cons

Hours can be long
    Tedious day to day tasks
    Taking on more responsibility does not necessarily improve chances for higher pay

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and don't be afraid to do different things to keep them happy to retain them.

Definitely a good place to get your career started but don't enter without an exit strategy already in place.

Former Contractor - Global Forwarding Agent in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Contractor - Global Forwarding Agent in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Mid-pressure atmosphere (enough work to stay busy, but mostly not enough to stress you out)
    Average hours, usually 8am - 4:30pm

Cons

Low pay
    Low-to-no-value work (my job didn't even require a college degree)
    No opportunities to gain valuable new skills or develop professionally
    Little opportunities for advancement (you have to know the right people at the right time)
    No opportunities for rewards (like weekly contests where you can win free stuff, etc.)
    Little flexibility with time off (I was fired because I got in a bad car accident and asked for a few hours off here and there to see my lawyer. This was after working there for 9 months and not taking any time off.)

Advice to Management

What you pay your new hires is a choice that you make, not your shareholders. Thus, you need to stop paying your shareholders at the expense of your employees. And that means you need to change how you do business. Do you know why a large company like Google or Apple can pay its employees while a large company like Walmart can't? It's because of its business model. Notice how you will never ever get a discount on a Macbook or Google Glass. That's because Google and Apple manufacture these products, so they set the price. The price doesn't budge, but the demand is still there. Walmart, on the other hand, competes entirely on price alone. They profit entirely on markup, so their prices always need to be the lowest in the market. This means they have to squeeze everything out of overhead that they can in order to increase their margins, and those increases go to their shareholders. While Google and Apple can just raise their prices whenever they need to and can pay both their shareholders and their employees. As the largest domestic 3PL provider, you're basically the Walmart of the Logistics industry. You're best people have already fled, as they're certainly employable at a company that will value them more. You continue to bring in contractors doing $22/hr work for $12/hr in order to decrease your overhead because you don't have many other options. If this trend continues, you WILL lose your reputation for great service and your status as the leading 3PL provider in America. I mean, I was told directly in my interview that there wouldn't be opportunities to advance. Why should your new workers work hard for awful pay if their hard work won't pay off in the long-run? Especially when the work is broken down into tasks so simple that, really, a computer should be doing it. Either automate or see the people you hire as more than just parts of an assembly line.

8. Account Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, they are actually pretty good for entry level college students. Some benefits are branch specific, but the majority are company wide.

Cons

Everything minus the benefits. I guess it depends on your branch size and how you're compensated. Chicago branches are ruthless people, but must be because they are straight commission.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better system for protecting companies under your takeover rule. I personally don't want to my logistics being taken care of by some kid in Chicago when my business is located in Smalltown, USA.

9. Sales Executive

I worked at C.H. Robinson Worldwide

Pros

Great people to work with and great working environment.

Cons

Pay structure and bonus percentages.

10. Logistics

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide as an intern

Pros

Great people, above average pay

Cons

Boring, long hours, very demanding

11. Not Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at C.H. Robinson Worldwide full-time

Pros

good career path start for entry level employees who really arent sure where their career is taking them. CHR was willing to give a shot to me without any prior industry knowledge

Cons

limited upward mobility unless you REALLY shine. Sales execs who close large deals typically get promoted to the next level. However, theyve become all about the numbers and not much else.

Advice to Management

Make a decision on job titles and the roles that they will play. Its very difficult to go from a a manager one day to a sales rep the next.

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Photos

Robinson
IT building of C.H. Robinson in Eden Prairie, (Photo thanks to Wikimedia User, MarkTraceur, Some rights reserved)
opening