C-K

Peter G. Krivkovich

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Smart People and Good Ideas

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery intelligent group with an overall openness to ideas that are rooted in sound strategy. Great new offices and friendly environment. Excellent place if you want to be treated like an adult and do good work.

ConsIf you aren't someone with your own mind and ability to express yourself, this might be a challenging environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow office culture and foster voices from all levels of the organization.

Politics, politics and more politics

Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompetitive salary
    Some really good, smart people
    Fair, hard-working and smart top management (the very top)

ConsIntensely political (I can't stress this enough)
    Kiss up, kick down culture, especially at the SVP level (some, not all)
    Back-stabbing
    Care more about prospective clients than current clients
    Top management is disconnected from the reality and culture of the agency

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be fooled by the SVPs that are kissing your asses. They are jockeying for position and power and waiting for the imminent sale of the agency so that they can get theirs.

Ask lots of questions of the agency

Senior Manager Position (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsC-K is a very creative and aggressive shop, and has a good reputation for their work. The compensation is very competitive for most positions, and even better than competitive for senior positions.

ConsThis is not a well managed agency. Most senior leaders are detached from the mid and entry level staff, and their is a significant gap between senior mangement and younger, potential leaders. Part of the reason is the work load heaped on mid and lower level staff, and part is the lack of engagement from the leadership. Anyone interviewing there should spend a lot of time talking to peer level staff (if they let you), and asking hard questions of the group leader about work styles, work loads, opportunities to be engaged with other areas of the agency, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take a serious look at how they are developing future leaders, don't be afraid to have open, honest and tough conversations about the integration of the agency, and become more engaged with all of their staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boys' club atmosphere, terrible management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCasual work environment, beer fridge, lots of free food

Cons• Frat club, homophobic atmosphere
    • Disorganized, poor process
    • Terrible management, at all levels
    • Poor pay; 1% pay increases at review time, even after a glowing review
    • Care more about $$ than employees
    • They say they want to promote people, but in fact will hold people back as much as possible while at the same time giving them glowing reviews.
    • Long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementThe boys' club atmosphere isn't cute anymore. It makes people uncomfortable.

Messy, over-worked, underpaid, overall not great

Senior Planner (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfun clients (some)
    emphasis on research, planning is an important part of the process

Conssee the title, plus upper management does not listen to their employees.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage growth and do not talk down to your employees.

Great Mid Size agency to work for

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosprivately owned, chance to work on multiple accounts

Consa bit more 'corporate' than other agencies in town.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of all the offices - doesn't help with team building.

An agency that values clients over employees

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe pros for this company are far less than the cons for this company. Some of the pros about working for C-K: great location, nice views, friendly co-workers, great social events, cappuccino machine, and I can ride my bike to work.

ConsThe cons for this company far outweigh the pros. Some of the cons for C-K are: Absolutely no work-life balance--not even in times of emergency, managers lack of expertise in the field of advertising and marketing, company expects you to work 60-80 hours a week with no additional compensation, disconnected senior management who care more about the bottom line ($$$) than they do about the people who make this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at the talented people that work at C-K. Most likely a majority will leave in the next 12 months unless you make changes.

Smart people, but terrible management and no work-life balance to speak of

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people, smart people, good clients as well.

ConsTerrible management, long hours - seemed no one cared about putting WAY too much on your plate, and the clients suffered.

Frustrating Environment for Anyone Who Values Clear Communication or Efficiency

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are nice, for the most part.

The benefits are pretty good, especially if coming from a non-advertising background.

C-K promotes from within and oftentimes rewards employees who stick it out for a number of years.

ConsCo-workers are often too busy to take into consideration the people around them, resulting in poor communication and borderline abusive behavior -- all of which is exacerbated by a department being overworked and understaffed.

The agency prides itself on collaboration, yet there is an underlying tension that screams, "Every man for himself!" Also a lot of my, "My poor planning is now your emergency."

I heard an industry veteran state that C-K was the most inefficient place they had ever worked.

For admins and support staff there is virtually no training, leaving new hires to dangle in the wind. New hires are subsequently blamed for not knowing what they were never taught and had no way of knowing they were supposed to have learned in the first place. (This is mostly due to the terrible communication.)

The admin work is rote and the job itself is isolating. For an organized, efficient individual who has never worked in advertising, being at C-K would probably feel like hell on earth.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in fully staffing your departments. High turnover may be "normal" for the industry, but it shouldn't be. Happy people produce better quality work.

Management at all levels have to be the ones to set the example when it comes to everything from learning how to communicate properly, to working efficiently, to treating colleagues with respect and consideration.

A good place. Lack of momentum.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe agency is a family. Kind hearted people who put people first.

ConsThis agency is at a crossroads. It seems that there is a lack of acknowledgement of just how much change is needed. From staffing to systems to process, it is time to take a hard look. Mediocre work and clients that are becoming smarter than the account leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent is the business. Infusing the right people into this agency to inspire and motivate is imperative.

Worked for C-K? Contribute to the Community!