C.R. England

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wayne Cederholm

Good company, great people, leaders with Integrity. Great place for a long term career.

Driver Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNew Leadership and the new generation of the England Family who really seems to care about their employees and doing the right thing. The new HR Director is great and has added a brightness to the company. Get her out there more.

ConsBenefits could be improved. The company needs to keep up with the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your benefits package and continue the positive new focus on your people.

Night Shift

Driver Manager (Former Employee)
Bartlesville, OK

I worked at C.R. England full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary was above board for this type of work. Good people to work with.

ConsHours were long (12 hrs/day) usually with no time to eat a meal. Work is intense and sometimes stressful. Being stuck on the night shift was difficult for my family and I. Driver turnover rate was VERY high. New drivers in and out every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTEAMWORK is a must. Make everyone feel as though they are valuable and listen to your employees.

Great Company

Marketing (Current Employee)
West Valley City, UT

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent work environment. Fun corporate events. In-house grill. Good exposure with executives leading to opportunity for growth. Friendly culture and coworkers create a fun work environment.

ConsWorking silos cause for duplication of efforts and inconsistent messaging. Healthcare costs went up earlier this year for similar coverage.

Good company to work for.

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work for. I have always been treated fairly. The company is very active in the community and participates in lots of charity events.

ConsCan be a stressful environment at times. The department I work in could use at least one more person to get all f the work done.

Corporate Recruiter

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe opportunity to work with all departments and divisions within the company.
Quite a few different positions to recruit for from operations, legal, finance, IT, engineering, safety and HR.
Sharpen your interview skills. We conduct in-person, phone, and Skype interviews with candidates nationwide.

ConsIt’s always busy, you must be able to handle and manage a high volume of positions to fill.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in a more efficient onboarding system and increase advertising to keep the stream of candidates coming in and make the hiring paperwork process quicker to let the recruiters concentrate on recruiting.

Wayne Cederholm passed away about a year ago of cancer.

Account/Driver Manager/New Business (Current Employee)

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI'm not sure there is too much to say. I still have a job. I still get paid the same amount I was getting six years ago. Benefits are three times as much with twice as little coverage. Bonuses keep getting smaller and harder to attain. I have to do at least three times the work as I did when I started. But again, I still do have a job.

ConsMicromanagement to the point they don't need upper management. Just hand it over to the CEO what they make us all do for them to get their so called job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have shared a little bit of their millions and millions of dollars profits and building their company on a rock. Instead of squeezing the little guy to the point the rock shattered and all they have is sand now with no foundation for a solid company to stand or build upon.

Take the term "breakneck pace" to a new level.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at C.R. England full-time for less than a year

ProsTop of the line equipment both for the driver and the staff.

ConsUnrealistic expectations from employees. Drivers are put onto the road after only two weeks of driving. Staff are expected to complete more work than time allows. Management is often unclear and vague. Often jumping to conclusions or ordering work done that is never needed or utilized. More than half of the 1800 people on staff at HQ have been there less than a year. A high turnover rate/consistent lay offs are a perfect indication that this is not a company to build a career with.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the same advice you give your drivers. Slow down!

A hard-working great company to work for

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
West Valley City, UT

I have been working at C.R. England full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company is fast paced and constantly growing. It's nice to have a job where you aren't looking at the clock every second because you're bored but rather a part of team and collaborating to create more wins for the company. The other thing I enjoy about the company is that most of the employees have been there 10+ years and you feel like a family working here, great people, fun environment even when it's stressful.

ConsMy only complaint is that due to the nature of the industry, transportation, you don't get some of the extra holidays off that may in another corporate job. But you get a floating holiday to use for the year.

High Turnover & not so great Benefits package

Data Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at C.R. England full-time for less than a year

ProsThey provide many amenities for their truck drivers, such as their own convenience store, cafeteria, fitness center, car rental, hotel, etc. CRE staff may also be allowed to access the cafeteria/convenience store.

Cons- Very high turnover rate at this company. Its almost as if they set you up to fail. No training, no clear direction.
- They only promote England's to the upper level managerial positions.
- New hires start with only 1 week of vacation per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp your compensation package for employees. Make your employees happy & the company will prosper.

Changes for the Worse

Account/Driver Manager/New Business (Former Employee)

I worked at C.R. England full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay at the time I was hired as well as through my employment was outstanding. The benefits started out competitive, but got worse and worse through my time with the company. There are certain divisions or teams within the various divisions that had great team culture and certain people who are true professionals employed there. Although there is some "good ol' boy" culture, advancement in my case was attainable with just some minimal "game playing" and a lot of hard work and achievement.

ConsA new generation of Englands are taking over, and their views on how to run the business seem to be much different then their elders. Office employees are now expected to do more with and for less. In my division, there were times when 1 person was handling the work of 3-4 people who had quit and not been replaced.
At the time I was employed, a manager was expected to answer their cell phone and respond to emails and driver phone calls at night, on the weekend. The night shift is not accountable for handling anything and in some divisions they will expect the day manager to step in for any situation requiring more than a "10-4" response. I worked a lot of over time (often 10-12 hour days plus time at night and weekends) and didn't get paid for it because I was a salaried employee. Time off in any position was rare (I only ever took 2 consecutive weeks off in my time).
Being a family company, nepotism is expected, but seeing England family with newly minted make believe titles and salaries that you wish were make believe are certainly hard to swallow when office costs are so rampant that nearly 100 layoffs are needed. And those layoffs are hard to swallow when they aren't based on seniority or performance but rather salary. As others have mentioned, salary ranges widely from employee to employee in the same position, and I was unfortunate enough to be making 15-20 THOUSAND more than my colleagues because of my career path and seniority (Although when I had less time with the company I was making far less than older people in my same position. I had to ask careful questions and then be assertive about raises). I am not sure how it was my fault that my raises were assigned and that I got promoted for my work, but I certainly paid the price and not the financial geniuses who OK'd it in the first place. I know another guy who was let go for the same reason years earlier and I really should have known better than to get too comfortable, but I thought my professional relationships, years of work, and quality of work would protect me.
Current enterprise management software system is a nightmare that extends to practically every employee. The culture has grown negative. It is all about ROI now, but bonuses are still barely quantified (I did not receive any rationale for why my bonus was what it was for over 4 years), and there is still tons of dead weight in places that the VP and executive level folks really don't want to look. Drivers are talked about as the most important asset in the company but are treated horrible and face the same type of pay and time off issues as the office staff. Tons of pep rally meetings and executive retreats multiple times per year that cost a lot and reward undeserving people for nothing. Don't get hired in a non- Utah office, as offsites are treated the worst.

If you are able to get hired at England, which may be a big if based on their current situation, I would say take the job if the pay is better than what you can get elsewhere, but then keep your resume out and get something more stable ASAP. There are just no guarantees that your job is safe no matter how long you have been there or how much you do for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some accountability for the nosedive the company is currently in. Don't give people raises or promotions and then can them. All of the behind closed door and cloak and dagger crap is poison to the culture, and it scares people more than honesty would. Practice what you preach when it comes to drivers, and base your business on more than a good ol' boy's big ol' gut feeling.

Worked for C.R. England? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at C.R. England reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for C.R. England CEO Wayne Cederholm. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by C.R. England employees.