C Span

Amazing company!!!!

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture was amazing. Every employee was truly a blessing to work with. Great company!

Cons

Little job growth due to size of company.

Amazing Internship Opportunity

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I spent a semester of my Senior Year of college interning at C-Span working with the Local Content Vehicle and First Lady's program. Within a month I was editing segments for the LCV and doing large amounts of research for the team. There was never truly a time that I was not doing anything beneficial I was always contributing to the team.

Cons

There was a decent amount of time where I was transcribing historians talking about the first ladies. Was really interesting material but 45 minute video transcriptions starts to get tiring.

Great Opportunity!

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here, and gained valuable insight into the broadcasting industry. The corporate culture is excellent and colleagues were very supportive of one another. The employees that I worked with were very happy with their jobs here (not many disgruntled people), which speaks to the way C-SPAN takes care of its employees.

Cons

I thought that there weren't many cons, all things considered.

Management desperate to find relevance in today's world.

I worked at C Span

Pros

Great co-workers, great place to learn, and leave.

Cons

Long time management basically concerned with keeping their jobs. No free thinking allowed!

Best Internship in All of DC!

Former Employee - Programming Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Programming Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great working environment! Very professional
    - Interns only have to work 32 hours per week (you choose your one weekday off!!)
    - Phenomenal working experience
    - Get to meet Senators, Representatives, other powerful people
    - Behind-the-scenes tours of the White House, Capitol Building, and Supreme Court

Cons

- No job offer at the end of the internship
    - Besides a $750 stipend paid at the end of the internship, this is unpaid (and trust me, no one can live on $750 for three months in DC)

- Up the stipend for interns, or pay them a base hourly salary

Friendly, principled environment

I have been working at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Commitment to unbiased public affairs coverage
    Friendly work environment
    Right next to the capitol
    on metro

Cons

Low salary, few advancement opportunities

Depends on What You're Looking For

I worked at C Span full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great view of Capitol Hill and the process of how the three branches of government operates. If you want to work in news but have a family and want a balance in terms of work/life, this might be the place for you. All depends on who you work for, which dept. etc. I saw some managers go out of their way to accommodate mothers. In other areas, having a family seemed to be a real detriment to advancement.

Cons

Senior management all there a long time so the culture is a little skewed. Hard to get through new ideas and try new things, though I've heard that has improved. Also, not sure people there are as skilled or up to date with skills as people elsewhere, but that might be changing. Unbalanced in terms of pay across the company. Some areas I thought were overstaffed, while others totally slammed. People who have been there from the beginning have a sense of entitlement and get paid A LOT, so don't expect to move up. Managers have had little to no management training, its how long you've been there and whether you were there from the beginning that really seems to matter--but I've heard that has changed, too. You'll notice all the intern reviews on here; definitely a ton goes into the intern program. They are really into it, yet not much in terms of development if you work there FT. And forget about resources to do your work. Definite favoritism exists. And very very top down management style and silos. Don't expect changes to happen quickly or a fast-paced environment. I felt like this is where some people in the news biz ended up when their luck dried up at other places. It's a non profit, and they will definitely try to squeeze out as much from you as they can.

Retire and make way for more people from the outside. And get some management training.

With all factors considered (work load, pay, benefits, etc), without a doubt the best place I have ever worked!

I have been working at C Span full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits program, much better than anywhere I have worked before. Most the people are really friendly. It is not a highly stressful place to work, which probably comes with the nature of working for a non-profit organization, but the pay is still really competitive.
    Not sure if this is a pro, but promotions are generally hired within, so if it's a company you want to work for then you should consider just getting your foot in the door and then work your way up, there are exceptions but this is how I've noticed it works.

Cons

Pretty much operates on a 4-year election pattern so can be really slow at times but then extremely busy at others, it's not really consistent. Also, Senior Management/Exec's have been here for years and years, so it is near impossible to work your way very high within the company.

Worked with great people and learned a lot.

Former Employee - Studio Operations Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Studio Operations Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern in this specific department, you can learn a great deal about the 'behind-the-scenes' work for the various C-SPAN productions. I had a few opportunities to do some hands-on work (mostly floor directing). The people I worked with were extremely friendly, helpful, and always willing to offer advice to interns. C-SPAN takes good care of their interns by holding intern events. We had lunch with the CEOs and took trips to different locations in DC. Everyone is on a first-name basis, so even the interns will address supervisors by their first name. Overall, I had a tremendous experience as an intern with C-SPAN.

Cons

While there was some hands-on experience, I also did a lot of watching and observing. You won't be able to do more hands-on work unless you ask or prove that you are capable of tasks that require a great deal of responsibility.

Great environment, excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Event Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Event Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at C Span as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyday there is something new to explore and research. Politics are ever changing and C-SPAN's diverse programming makes for a great day everyday!

Cons

None come to mind. If I had to pick anything, it can lack the same fast paced energy of a larger news station but don't let that discourage you!

Keep it up!