C.W. Matthews Reviews

Bob Matthews

1. Superintendent

Current Employee - Superintendent in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Marietta, GA

I have been working at C.W. Matthews full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The upper management seems to take a great interest in education of employees, resulting in a strong emphasis on education over experience.

Cons

Middle management does not seem to share in upper management beliefs concerning education of employees, as they are under the constant pressure to get the job done.

Advice to Management

This communication breakdown between upper and middle management proves to create a barrier for lower level employees to advance by gaining education.

2. Worst job, ever!

I have been working at C.W. Matthews full-time

Pros

None that come to mind in writting this review.

Cons

First of all I would like to stat that before being hired at C.W. i turned down a position for a better paying construction job as a operator. When i first start i was put with a crew as nothing more then as a flagger. Having years of experience as an operator i felt this was just temporarily until they can get me in to a piece of machinery. This wasnt the case. I started looking for a position after one month. Sadly the position with the other company was filled. They work you long hour , day and night and back day again. This makes for a rough family life. But they dont pay for drive time. They often allow unqualified employees that have worked there aslonger the ability to drive vehicle they shouldnt be to allow them more hours and you a qualified individual sit side seat. Dont waste youre time.

Advice to Management

Less superintendents. You dont need to guys thinking they know everything on a job with two foreman trying to work.

3. Needs major management work.

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Marietta, GA

I worked at C.W. Matthews full-time

Pros

Plenty Opportunity to make money in the hot seasons and sometimes cold. Good Insurance Travel

Cons

Long hours No work in cold weather Quick to write someone up over the smallest things.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable the laborers have families too.

5. Truck driver

Current Employee - Truck Driver/Labor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver/Labor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at C.W. Matthews full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of over time work.Stable company to work for.High pace work environment constantly changing job sites working in all types of weather.

Cons

Job is weather related,not much work when it's cold, raining work load slows in winter.Summer Is the busy time of year mostly night work.

Advice to Management

Although it's a good company to work at they should give all vacation during summer not just foremen and upper management so all can enjoy family vacation

6. Good for people not in the best situation

Former Employee - Laborer in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Marietta, GA

I worked at C.W. Matthews full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

C.W. Matthews is a great place to work if you have few other options. Good for giving people a second chance that they might have gotten other places in the workforce.

Cons

Very little work/life balance however the majority of the employees here do not have other options or bargaining power to demand additional benefits at the laborer level--I'm sure it improves as you rise through the channels

7. Lots of work

Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at C.W. Matthews full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close to home friends i know

Cons

Money is not competitive with others in the industry. Hours worked without compensation is exceedingly greater each year it seems.

Outstanding Company

Current Employee - Division Vice President in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Division Vice President in Marietta, GA

I have been working at C.W. Matthews full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CWM strives to be the employer of choice for our people while always maintaining a fair balance between corporate citizenship and profitability. To maintain our position in this market we must be the low cost provider of quality transportation projects and materials.

Cons

Our available work days are based mainly on the weather, when the weather is good we work long hours.

Please keep a watch on middle managment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

Better pay than local competitors.

Cons

Bad managment. Poor commuincations. Long hours for salary personel, such as myself. With little to no compensation. And being the scape goat for middle managments mistakes and short comings.

Advice to Management

To better observe the middle managments actions. And take more time observing the real men and women who make this company run from day to day.

RSS Feed </> Embed