C&D Zodiac

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jude Dozor

Pros
  • People are leaving a few every month to go work for the old owner of C&D, I say good bye (in 5 reviews)

• A great place if you're a recent grad (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is typically promoted based on who they know, not what they know (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay and almost no raises to speak of (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good stepping stone company, moving up means moving on

Design Engineer (Current Employee) La Palma, CA

ProsEnvironment here is interesting. There are many engineers under 30 and over 45, but not too many in between. People are very open and you'll make some good friends here. It is also a great environment to learn in because there is such high turnover rate, new employees are a regular.
    Benefits are average - health, dental, and visual with 401k
    Work/Life - they have a good program here (free lunch once a month) to have a guest speaker come in and talk about ways to improve your health. Depending on the program and your position, there may be times of a lot of down time where you come in and leave on time, giving you much time to go home and knock back a few beers.

ConsManagement has unreal expectations on timelines. There can be times where engineers are staying until midnight releasing drawinigs. This unfortunately is a self perpetuating style that management doesn't understand that you cannot compress a new project's timeline.
    Job roles undefined. There were some "Design Engineers" doing Project Engineer work while not getting proper pay or recognition. There is about as much structure as a caterpillar has bones.
    Questionable engineering practices. This company is good if you want to learn the basics of engineering and manufacturing but they don't use any real GD&T and everything is normalized to internal specs. There is no real engineering done here. It was surprising to learn how many people here (including project engineers) did not understand the concept of torque - why pushing a door at the knob side is significantly easier than at the hinge side.
    Pay. You start and end at what you're offered. I've been here two years and have received a total of $0 bonus and $0 pay raise. Its unfortunate that their belief is that hiring fresh out of college engineers is cheaper than retaining current employees. Avg turnover is 1-2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees a bonus/raise to keep them from finding new jobs.

Place to get experience, not to have a career

Lead Design Engineer (Current Employee) La Palma, CA

Pros-Very easy to move up, due to high turnover and a willingness to promote from within
    -Good atmosphere and people

Cons-If someone wasn't hired directly out of college to work here, 90% of the time it means they are terrible and just have nowhere else to go.
    -Lower than industry pay. (See first point)
    -Motto is "just get it done", plans to make things better never get implemented. They are always in crisis mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen everybody at the company can see the issues we are having and you just pay lip service to them, don't get angry when things go wrong. You can't cut a schedule by 4 months, layoff people, let the good engineers leave and replace them with new grads and expect quality products to be produced.

Good work experience

Design Engineer (Current Employee) La Palma, CA

ProsThis is a great first job, don't expect to make much but you have the opportunity to learn good things in terms of design and manufacturing

ConsThey get young people so they don't need to pay good

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little extra money on keeping those that are crucial to the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a good place for start up engineer to work

Design Engineer (Former Employee) La Palma, CA

ProsIt's a good place for start up engineer to work. Good people, energetic culture.

Consvery mininum growing opportunity. poor project guide line.

Great working environment

Design Engineer (Current Employee) La Palma, CA

Prosflexible schedule, future growth available

Consbelow average salary, not much bonus

Worked for C&D Zodiac? Contribute to the Community!