C&D Zodiac Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
2.9

Jude Dozor

Pros
  • People are leaving a few every month to go work for the old owner of C&D, I say good bye (in 5 reviews)

• A great place if you're a recent grad (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is typically promoted based on who they know, not what they know (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay and almost no raises to speak of (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed feeling

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than a year

Pros

ZEO and Design full of new graduates.
    Good to earn experience for young people.
    Software are up to date: CATIA v5, AutoCAD...

Cons

Salary are low and increases do not happen often.
    Hourly wage is low but extra hours are high for hourly employee.
    Lack of communication.

Hire when needed, do not exert your own employee for a meager salary of they will leave
    Further communication between departments is needed

I learned a lot in Aircraft Interiors for Business/Regional Jets

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fast, Flexible and Friendly. Quality and on-time delivery

Cons

None, same as other companies

Manufacturing Engineer

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good startup company to work with for freshers
    - Company allows us to make mistakes and learn from it
    - Family based work environment

Cons

- Less salary compared to smiliar companies around
    - Poor orgranization structure creates less chances promotions
    - Poor personal development guidance
    - Company benifits are OK
    - Lack of guidance from upper management

- Establish frequent one to one conversion with employee and help him/her with directing with their personal development

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hard word low pay and advancement

Former Employee - Manager  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

a job in tough economy

Cons

cliquish, low pay, no advancement, nepotism and plagiarism. constant threats to employment, very hostile in many facilities.

dream on unless you kiss up

Good intro to the aerospace introduction

Current Employee - Cabin and Structures  in  Marysville, WA
    Current Employee - Cabin and Structures in Marysville, WA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary, good friends, a very stable company. Big on training, 5s, lean manufacturing, etc.

Cons

Management is slow to react to needs, below average salary

Try to be more proactive and more flexible, realize the talents you have on all levels, not just your "chosen few".

Changing Culture

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good for entry level engineers, you're tossed right into the thick of it and will gain experience right away.
    Up to date on engineering technology and regular hardware upgrades have occurred in recent years.

Cons

The fun/family atmosphere left with the previous owners. Salaries are low and difficult to get increased. There is a huge disconnect between upper management and the rest of the company.

It was nice to see the CEO, president, and partners walk around the facilities and get involved with employees when privately owned. I have only seen the current CEO once in a hallway and have never seen the current president.

Good stepping stone company, moving up means moving on

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  La Palma, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in La Palma, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment here is interesting. There are many engineers under 30 and over 45, but not too many in between. People are very open and you'll make some good friends here. It is also a great environment to learn in because there is such high turnover rate, new employees are a regular.
    Benefits are average - health, dental, and visual with 401k
    Work/Life - they have a good program here (free lunch once a month) to have a guest speaker come in and talk about ways to improve your health. Depending on the program and your position, there may be times of a lot of down time where you come in and leave on time, giving you much time to go home and knock back a few beers.

Cons

Management has unreal expectations on timelines. There can be times where engineers are staying until midnight releasing drawinigs. This unfortunately is a self perpetuating style that management doesn't understand that you cannot compress a new project's timeline.
    Job roles undefined. There were some "Design Engineers" doing Project Engineer work while not getting proper pay or recognition. There is about as much structure as a caterpillar has bones.
    Questionable engineering practices. This company is good if you want to learn the basics of engineering and manufacturing but they don't use any real GD&T and everything is normalized to internal specs. There is no real engineering done here. It was surprising to learn how many people here (including project engineers) did not understand the concept of torque - why pushing a door at the knob side is significantly easier than at the hinge side.
    Pay. You start and end at what you're offered. I've been here two years and have received a total of $0 bonus and $0 pay raise. Its unfortunate that their belief is that hiring fresh out of college engineers is cheaper than retaining current employees. Avg turnover is 1-2 years.

Give your employees a bonus/raise to keep them from finding new jobs.

Diverse Opportunity

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An energetic, fast paced environment creates a wealth of opportunity to gain valuable experience.
    Moving between departments and locations to take your life and career in a different direction is supported.

Cons

At times, the workload is demanding, and over the work-life balance line.
    There are cultural challenges associated with ownership by a French aerospace conglomerate.

Pay closer attention to the management and development of the people.

Great, if you trade job security for low pay.

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked full time for this company for three years now and I enjoy the job. I have been on the floor my whole time here so I don't know much about how upper management is ran.Great teams (Depending on the team leader). Not the greatest supervisor/managers but they help you out if you do what you're supposed to be doing. Great engineers, hired straight out of college but within two months most already know what they are doing and help out in making everything run more efficiently and smoothly. The engineers are so easy to work with and they can explain to you what is going on and why certain issues are happening. Job security is great if you are a fast learner, get what's expected of you done and you are generally nice to everybody. I have gotten away with some stupid things I've done at this job and I haven't been fired because they respect me as one of the best at this job. Extremely flexible hours; if you need to leave early they'll let you just don't do it to often and if you want to put in 14 hours that day they'll let you depending on if there are things that can be done. If you want, you can learn every job on the floor which equals more job security. When we deliver a project on time we get celebrate with a 1 hour lunch and a potluck or bbq. If you work past 10 hours they buy you you're meal on the second lunch. There's a decent gym, a basketball court, soccer field and a volleyball net. It's a pretty good job overall.

Cons

Probably the biggest problem with this company is the pay. The pay really sucks, you start at minimum wage and stay there for a good year. Then you get bumped up a couple cents to a dollar. The benefits aren't too good. They hire anybody off the streets that can pass a drug test. Had to deal working with some horrible people. Which is why they have a low worker retention rate. Some of the supervisors are really bad. They tell everyone to work really hard then they turn around and talk to their favorite employee for hours. That's all I got.

Unorganized company

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are the only good thing

Cons

Unorganized, for as long as this company has been around you would think they would have some kind of process. Zodiac needs to work on their planning.

Work on getting your planning and engineering to work together so everyone else is running around crazy

Worked for C&D Zodiac? Contribute to the Community!