C&D Zodiac

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jude Dozor

Pros
  • People are leaving a few every month to go work for the old owner of C&D, I say good bye(in 5 reviews)

• A great place if you're a recent grad(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is typically promoted based on who they know, not what they know(in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay and almost no raises to speak of(in 4 reviews)

I learned a lot in Aircraft Interiors for Business/Regional Jets

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsFast, Flexible and Friendly. Quality and on-time delivery

ConsNone, same as other companies

Manufacturing Engineer

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Good startup company to work with for freshers
    - Company allows us to make mistakes and learn from it
    - Family based work environment

Cons- Less salary compared to smiliar companies around
    - Poor orgranization structure creates less chances promotions
    - Poor personal development guidance
    - Company benifits are OK
    - Lack of guidance from upper management

Advice to Senior Management- Establish frequent one to one conversion with employee and help him/her with directing with their personal development

Good intro to the aerospace introduction

Cabin and Structures (Current Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsGood benefits, decent salary, good friends, a very stable company. Big on training, 5s, lean manufacturing, etc.

ConsManagement is slow to react to needs, below average salary

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more proactive and more flexible, realize the talents you have on all levels, not just your "chosen few".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changing Culture

ProsGood for entry level engineers, you're tossed right into the thick of it and will gain experience right away.
    Up to date on engineering technology and regular hardware upgrades have occurred in recent years.

ConsThe fun/family atmosphere left with the previous owners. Salaries are low and difficult to get increased. There is a huge disconnect between upper management and the rest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was nice to see the CEO, president, and partners walk around the facilities and get involved with employees when privately owned. I have only seen the current CEO once in a hallway and have never seen the current president.

Good stepping stone company, moving up means moving on

Design Engineer (Current Employee) La Palma, CA

ProsEnvironment here is interesting. There are many engineers under 30 and over 45, but not too many in between. People are very open and you'll make some good friends here. It is also a great environment to learn in because there is such high turnover rate, new employees are a regular.
    Benefits are average - health, dental, and visual with 401k
    Work/Life - they have a good program here (free lunch once a month) to have a guest speaker come in and talk about ways to improve your health. Depending on the program and your position, there may be times of a lot of down time where you come in and leave on time, giving you much time to go home and knock back a few beers.

ConsManagement has unreal expectations on timelines. There can be times where engineers are staying until midnight releasing drawinigs. This unfortunately is a self perpetuating style that management doesn't understand that you cannot compress a new project's timeline.
    Job roles undefined. There were some "Design Engineers" doing Project Engineer work while not getting proper pay or recognition. There is about as much structure as a caterpillar has bones.
    Questionable engineering practices. This company is good if you want to learn the basics of engineering and manufacturing but they don't use any real GD&T and everything is normalized to internal specs. There is no real engineering done here. It was surprising to learn how many people here (including project engineers) did not understand the concept of torque - why pushing a door at the knob side is significantly easier than at the hinge side.
    Pay. You start and end at what you're offered. I've been here two years and have received a total of $0 bonus and $0 pay raise. Its unfortunate that their belief is that hiring fresh out of college engineers is cheaper than retaining current employees. Avg turnover is 1-2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees a bonus/raise to keep them from finding new jobs.

Diverse Opportunity

ProsAn energetic, fast paced environment creates a wealth of opportunity to gain valuable experience.
    Moving between departments and locations to take your life and career in a different direction is supported.

ConsAt times, the workload is demanding, and over the work-life balance line.
    There are cultural challenges associated with ownership by a French aerospace conglomerate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to the management and development of the people.

Unorganized company

Buyer (Former Employee) Santa Maria, CA

ProsThe people are the only good thing

ConsUnorganized, for as long as this company has been around you would think they would have some kind of process. Zodiac needs to work on their planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on getting your planning and engineering to work together so everyone else is running around crazy

Great, if you trade job security for low pay.

Team Lead (Current Employee) Santa Maria, CA

ProsI have worked full time for this company for three years now and I enjoy the job. I have been on the floor my whole time here so I don't know much about how upper management is ran.Great teams (Depending on the team leader). Not the greatest supervisor/managers but they help you out if you do what you're supposed to be doing. Great engineers, hired straight out of college but within two months most already know what they are doing and help out in making everything run more efficiently and smoothly. The engineers are so easy to work with and they can explain to you what is going on and why certain issues are happening. Job security is great if you are a fast learner, get what's expected of you done and you are generally nice to everybody. I have gotten away with some stupid things I've done at this job and I haven't been fired because they respect me as one of the best at this job. Extremely flexible hours; if you need to leave early they'll let you just don't do it to often and if you want to put in 14 hours that day they'll let you depending on if there are things that can be done. If you want, you can learn every job on the floor which equals more job security. When we deliver a project on time we get celebrate with a 1 hour lunch and a potluck or bbq. If you work past 10 hours they buy you you're meal on the second lunch. There's a decent gym, a basketball court, soccer field and a volleyball net. It's a pretty good job overall.

ConsProbably the biggest problem with this company is the pay. The pay really sucks, you start at minimum wage and stay there for a good year. Then you get bumped up a couple cents to a dollar. The benefits aren't too good. They hire anybody off the streets that can pass a drug test. Had to deal working with some horrible people. Which is why they have a low worker retention rate. Some of the supervisors are really bad. They tell everyone to work really hard then they turn around and talk to their favorite employee for hours. That's all I got.

proper perspective.This particular company is a combo of several smaller companies eaten up and merged.

(Current Employee)

ProsLet's draw a line up the center of the building and build a wall. One side is Sales, Purchasing and (sic) Engineering. Hired straight out of school, lack of experience and total 'YESMEN'. They will draw good salaries and only care about when will it be done to ship.

ConsThe other side of the wall are the working grunts. They do the work and fix the screw ups caused by the other side's incompetence, then fight amongst themselves to avoid losing their jobs. (SAD)

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly 'YESMEN' and the clueless may advance. If you have a working brain or difference of opinion, your career is cooked. Thank you, I've said enough. (And there's so much more.)

This company can be a great learning experiences, but offers nothing long term.

Engineer (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsThis company will hire engineer’s right out of college, and offers them the chance to start working on real projects the minute they get there.
    There are a lot of low hanging fruit in terms of improvement projects, defined documents, designs, and processes.
    Put in your 2-3 years, say yes to everything and learn to say no before you leave.

ConsAs mentioned this company only seems to hire engineers straight out of college, there is almost no interest or no finical incentives to hire experienced engineers and keeping them long term.
    Young engineers are pretty much left to define designs under short time schedules and with no senior engineer input. As a result many drawings are released rife with errors, and with parts in need to rework.
    Management and heads have become essentially middle management and don’t move on anything unless they get approval Zodiac France.
    Serious lack of transparency on decisions made.
    Low starting pay, benefits are eh, low sick time and vacation time. Generally frowned upon if sick time is taken.
    Some engineering positions are made into technician positions.
    Zodiac France has pretty much made it clear at this point, that there will be little or no manufacturing in the US anymore, and will be produced in Mexico. I seriously doubt there will be much engineering in US as well in the next five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Invest in training and your engineers. Be serious and lay off most of your management. Spend some money, be honest and you will get respect.

Worked for C&D Zodiac? Contribute to the Community!