C&D Zodiac

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jude Dozor

Pros:
  • "People are leaving a few every month to go work for the old owner of C&D, I say good bye"
    in 5 reviews
  • "A great place if you're a recent grad"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very low pay and almost no raises to speak of"
    in 4 reviews
  • "There seems to be preferences in upper management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Satisfying

Assembler (Former Employee)
North Marysville, WA

I worked at C&D Zodiac part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, team work, enjoyed working there

Consmanagement styles, not everyone was always on the same page

This company can be a great learning experiences, but offers nothing long term.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company will hire engineer’s right out of college, and offers them the chance to start working on real projects the minute they get there.
There are a lot of low hanging fruit in terms of improvement projects, defined documents, designs, and processes.
Put in your 2-3 years, say yes to everything and learn to say no before you leave.

ConsAs mentioned this company only seems to hire engineers straight out of college, there is almost no interest or no finical incentives to hire experienced engineers and keeping them long term.
Young engineers are pretty much left to define designs under short time schedules and with no senior engineer input. As a result many drawings are released rife with errors, and with parts in need to rework.
Management and heads have become essentially middle management and don’t move on anything unless they get approval Zodiac France.
Serious lack of transparency on decisions made.
Low starting pay, benefits are eh, low sick time and vacation time. Generally frowned upon if sick time is taken.
Some engineering positions are made into technician positions.
Zodiac France has pretty much made it clear at this point, that there will be little or no manufacturing in the US anymore, and will be produced in Mexico. I seriously doubt there will be much engineering in US as well in the next five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Invest in training and your engineers. Be serious and lay off most of your management. Spend some money, be honest and you will get respect.

Pathetic!!!

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
Cypress, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for less than a year

ProsLocated in California. Many good options for lunch in the area

ConsEverything. Management, Leadership, technology, bureaucracy, horrible pay and benefits, no value for employees, no structure, no deployment, no teams...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job with bureaucracy. have fun hiring people every 2 months.

Good people, underwhelming otherwise.

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Maria, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt least in the Santa Maria Cabin Interiors division, the people were laid back and friendly. Usually not too much overtime, though I hear this varies widely from branch to branch and project to project.

They seem to have been hiring since I've worked there so it's relatively easy to get your foot in the door and an entry level engineer.

ConsOn the low end of what you'll expect to make as an engineer. Benefits are really lame, no PPO Health option, the non-HMO dental costs more than its worth. Third week of vacation takes 10 years to earn.

Many processes aren't flushed out. The program I worked on had now official process for approving new parts at all. While I would have thought this to be a job for management, it somehow became the responsibility to the engineers to get all of the party's together and figure something out.

Also there is no good way to find out how the company is officially supposed to do things. Documentation is poor, usually one spec just immediately refers to another and programs tend to use there own work around regardless. Any real "how-to" knowledge is tribal. This is partly alleviated by the friendly coworkers.

Employee reviews include no review of salary. Your boss will wait for you to demand a higher wage after you've accumulated a year or two of experience. The raises they do give are often low. Any form of bonus is around $100 a year... if they mention it during an interview ask for an example of the amount.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for talent wise. Sure you have some veterans who hang around for one reason or another, but they're already overworked and good luck finding fresh blood to replace them. Young engineer's pay attention when you do things like drop the PPO and replace it with something that doesn't cover prescriptions.

In transition

Manager (Former Employee)
Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than a year

ProsMajority of the people their are nice, hard working, and a little of the entrepreneur spirit still exists from the previous ownership of the company. Recently they have been upgrading their IT infrastructure, hardware & software. Their are a few internal IT Help desk employees who do an outstanding job keeping your technology up and running.

ConsPay is below average, management training is desperately needed for a number of aging director & senior level managers. Communication from executive level and Zodiac Group level is nearly nonexistent - I got the feeling that no one knows what's going on within the groups and organization in general - no direction. Somewhat difficult to identify a career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize fair scales of pay, appoint a senior level executive as a communications ambassador to communicate companies direction and goals. Management & communication training for C level and directors.

A lot of hours to make up for the low pay.

Prefer Not to State (Current Employee)
Cypress, CA

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI use to think there was...... Moved into a new facility with great exceptions. There health insurance so far and we have a 401k. Maybe if you are salary there are more pros like sick pay. Brand new Gym.Easy place to work if you keep quiet work every time they ask at last moment. People are leaving a few every month to go work for the old owner of C&D, I say good bye.

ConsSo many. New facility is suppose to be a "Lean Facility" Talk about Muda with a lot of Muri You have yearly reviews with no money and when do get a raise it comes out of the blue I think the directors decide who and not everyone gets one so there is a lot of disgruntled employees.
Lot of the old timers 20years plus don't care anymore and milk the hours. Can not blame them as a good worker on the line retired after 30+ years and they did even get him a cake.
A lot of people get promoted to jobs they are not qualified for. You cheat and are horrible to people and you get promoted..

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with the lean operations and start by giving the people on the line a raise to industry standards.What you have for lean in this company is making the KPI look good even if you have to cheat. That does not prove a successful company what your customer thinks is the measurement. And there needs to be attention to blend the facilities because they are far apart.

Company with potential but poor organization, management,a nd communication

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time

ProsIf you want to make a change and you work really hard, you can find the oportunity. There is not much structure so its easier to be heard if you are an ambitious person looking to make substantial change.

ConsCommunication between management and engineers is extrememly poor. Nobody cares about your professional development or career growth, no training program in place, no structure to anything, very undercompensated. High turn over rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your high performing employees, value them, communicate with everyone in general.

Good School

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for a starting job, will take on many responsibilities that you might not otherwise get at other larger companies. Great people to work with and overall positive work environment. I would say it's a great "school" where you can work for about 2 years but after that, you should look somewhere else if you want to advance your career

ConsLow pay
Unrealistic project deadlines
Lack of mentoring, you're pretty much thrown into the fire and left to figure it out on your own

Advice to Senior ManagementWish they'd show a little more appreciation to their employees. I think they're getting better at this but the compensation would go a long way towards retaining many people

Under Appreciated / Unprofessional

Product Support (Former Employee)
Garden Grove, CA

I worked at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 8 years

Pros-Family like environment.
-Fun activities outside of work (flag football, soccer, etc.)
-Multiple departments, so there is room to "grow" or change jobs within the company.

Cons-Below industry standards pay.
-Upper Management is typically promoted based on who they know, not what they know.
-Upper Management micro manages EVERYTHING!
-Resources aren't provided until the Customer is pissed off due to lack of support for their demanding schedules.
-You will always get a bad yearly review so there is "room for growth".
-You're lucky if you get a raise.
-General Manager(s) are unprofessional and say inappropriate things.
-No incentive to do a better job because even when you bust your butt it's never acknowledged or appreciated.
-If you go on vacation, don't expect coverage. You'll comeback to hundreds of emails and all the work you were working on when you left.
-Insufficient training. Sink or swim!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is something to be said when several engineers quit in a 3 month time period and it takes your customer's Senior Executive Management to bring attention to a program and get the resources it deserved MONTHS ago. Within 2 years of working for the company I found it very sad and frustrating to see that Management viewed it's employees as replaceable. You lose a lot when you don't keep good employees. All the knowledge they've gained at your company is now the benefit of a direct competitor. Seems pretty stupid if you ask me.

Not even sure what we're called any more

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at C&D Zodiac full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe management that is still surviving from the days of C&D Aerospace are very personable and people I've found easy to look up to.

ConsZodiac Aerospace has divided us up in ways that make me feel our focus is no longer upon our strengths, happy customers and happy employees. If they're both happy, you retain them both. Things have gotten a lot more corporate as of late.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow short-term profit driven decisions to cripple the company in the long-run. There are some really excellent people working here who are driven to succeed, and are grinding themselves to a pulp trying to get things done. TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS.

Worked for C&D Zodiac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at C&D Zodiac reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for C&D Zodiac CEO Jude Dozor. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by C&D Zodiac employees.