C&J Clark

www.clarks.co.uk

C&J Clark Reviews

3.8

Melissa Potter

Great learning experience in retail selling.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA

I have been working at C&J Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got to meet different kinds of customers everyday.

Cons

Only half hour for lunch time.

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at C&J Clark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount and good pay during holiday hours

Cons

You will work way over 40 hours and never get paid for it. Upper management has no idea what's going on in the stores and don't care about employees. During state of emergencies your still required to battle your way to work and open your store. The company would rather risk the well being of its employees, rather than close a store even 5 minutes early during snow storms/hurricanes. If one manager doesn't like you they will make up bogus claims to get you fired. This company is going nowhere but down . Run fast!!!

Stop managing the business like a nazi high school, it's a shoe store, we basically have to trade our souls to the devil in order to work here, give us some respect.

More like a family than work, things are changing....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C&J Clark

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is friendly and social. random days off, great little bonus's. cool building. good benefits.

Cons

UK invasion will happen soon, powers that be struggle for power, everyone wants to be the boss... hurts company. lots of people that have been there too long, cant handle change.

Your doing a lot of good things, just don't change the roots of the company that make it such a great place to work.

Overall it was a positive experience. They have a very open culture and communicating with senior management is easy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at C&J Clark

Pros

Clarks is a very relaxed atmosphere to work in. Dress was casual, and communication was very open. They have a culture that strives to allow their employees to advance and attain personal goals.

Cons

One of the cons of working at Clarks was that they didn't give enough responsbility to internship students. I felt that they could have been utilized better by giving them a higher level of tasks.

Great Experience Builder

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at C&J Clark

Pros

The benefits package is one of the most detailed and helpful CIGNA packages. Extremely good coverage. The training is very detailed, and they teach you using everyday explanations and situations, thus covering every base of retail selling experience. They customer service oriented no matter what.

Cons

If you find yourself working under a non experienced manager that just started out, be careful with your solution execution. If you have more experience in this field and the manager turns out not to, first ask what is her process and how they want it done, even if you have been using the same method for various years, they want it their way; and the company allows for this kind of behavior.

Offer more competitive salaries and hourly rates. Your turn over of employees is too big of a margin. Keep your employees happy to create more sales. Lower your pressure on Accessory sales, if you are not going to advertise the company as selling more than shoes. Put more real life District Managers on duty. Personal experiences are a big part of employer and employee relations and this WILL boost sales in your company. Start bringing quality materials back into the shoe industry, or you will end up as another cheap shoe retailer in the industry. Quality is more important than quantity.

Beware of recruiting promises...

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at C&J Clark

Pros

The pay is average to good, the benefits are very good.

Cons

The company uses very shifty recruiting practices. They recruit with the promise of advancement in x amount of time, and later act as though no such agreement was in place. This company was very dishonest with many of my colleagues who were promised promotions, and then refused to have any dialogue as to why they were not put into the positions they were recruited to take over. In addition to this, this company has an extremely difficult time initially getting employees into their payroll system. Every employee that has started at my store has waited on average 1 month to receive their first pay check. This doesn't seem to bother management at all, and they offer no solutions to fix this problem. They act as though you should be happy to come to work without getting paid. You would think they would be embarassed about hiring someone and not getting them paid in a timely manner.

Senior management is highly arrogant and incompetent.

Working for Clarks

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Stroud, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Stroud, England (UK)

I have been working at C&J Clark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I began working for Clarks when I was 16 and then excellently trained by Simon Day, who did my fitting course. Two years later I decided that University was the route I wanted to take. My manager at Clarks was able to put me on a contract that meant I could come back and work during holidays. I hugely benefitted from this while at University, while also receiving a grant from Clarks for every year I was at University. Clarks proved to be a supportive company to work for and I shall be forever grateful for the financial support they have given me. After leaving University I left Clarks with much sadness to do a job in Psychology. This job did not meet my expectations and, despite being under new management, Clarks in Stroud took me back on, giving me full time hours and once again being as supportive to me as my family. The team I work with in Stroud have been hugely important in my life. After 6 years of working for this company I cannot put all my gratitude into words. This company has been brilliant to me and I am hoping to work my way up into management if I can.

I find my work very enjoyable and the work-life balance is perfect for me. I love my job.

Cons

On occasion I have experienced our store's sales targets being moved at the end of an incentive period, which felt like a huge leap, however we made the target and gained the incentive.

Keep up the good work!

Working with Clarks because I enjoy being there

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at C&J Clark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for Clarks, with flexible hours meaning I'll never fall behind with uni work, amazing store atmosphere with all the needed training to make you feel confident around customers and the staff really make it something special. A company that make me excited to go to work!

Cons

The only con I can think of would be balance of stock in store at times, meaning customers were unable to buy the shoes they needed.

I think it would be nice for Clarks to make events/ competitions for employees on a social level

I enjoy working with the hard working and dedicated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at C&J Clark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can discount off shoes, experience a business which is thrieving and allows you to grow in your career. There are many areas to work in and lots of opportunity

Cons

Location can be difficult as does require travel if you live in bristol however there is a lovely community feel to the place

Company review

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at C&J Clark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helpful co-workers and loads of new technology related activities scheduled to happen in the coming years. So, new and exciting opportunities to grow.

Cons

HQ located in a small village which not much happening except for Clarks Village .