C&R Research

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
2.3

Robbin Jaklin

Not the best, but better than some of the rest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at C&R Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free lunches on mondays, a lot of happy hours, beer cart on fridays, office culture is relaxed, good health and medical benefits for the employees.

Cons

absolutely awful training, you learn as you go, very sink or swim. Personal growth completely depends on who you have as a manager and if they really care and want to see you grow and do better.

better training

I feel like your experience will truly depend on what team you are on. The teams are very tight knit.

I have been working at C&R Research as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great mentorship, good work-life balance, various social events

Cons

Some of the people who work here are very standoffish and off-putting.

I think upper management does a great job, the more entry level employees seem to be the ones who can be catty.

Established Yet Innovative and Fun

I have been working at C&R Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly Team Atmosphere (get involved as much or as little as you want!)
    Opportunities to Lead/Assist on Cool Fortune 50 & 100 Projects
    Training Opportunities
    Ideal Michigan Ave. Location, with some Work-at-Home Opportunities
    Balance of Promoting from Within and Hiring-In
    In-House IT/Programming/Production Departments
    Annual Reviews (if Constructive)
    Free Monday Lunches
    Summer Hours on Fridays
    Fun Summer Party, Fancy Holiday Party
    Free Tickets to Major Sporting Events

Cons

Names & Departments Can Be Elusive in Year 1
    Training Opportunities Not Immediately Known
    Annual Reviews (if Unconstructive)
    Climate Control Varies Through Seasons (Layer Up!)

Promote how long the company has been around (since 1959). We are private and big, but not too big. Our custom designs and diligent efforts to innovate & educate are an asset.

Abusive, toxic, highly dangerous to your health

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at C&R Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ There are a few nice people here, sure, other reviewers have said more or less the same. I believe what we're really saying is that they are the rare exceptions.
    + The location is great. It's close to plenty of public transportation stops, so it'd be easy to get far away as fast as possible.
    + The salary is good so long as your value your soul at a discount.
    + Free lunch once a week, so... that saves you about $40 a month. The food won't fill the hole of shame knowing you work here, though.

Cons

The best description of what goes on here is right here: http://www.leymann.se/English/00005E.HTM

To summarize, C+R is a chilling textbook case of disturbing violence called mobbing. It is torture at the hands of sick people who enjoy creating psychological damage, nothing less, nothing more.

I'll try, but what's the point of giving advice if management doesn't want to believe that anything's wrong?

Okay, here's some. Partners, you're delusional to think your office is any more fun, lenient, or even any better than any other office. There's plenty of casual work environments out there, you're not special, so drop the pride. You are not progressive. You are by no means saints. You're not even really that much fun. There is no valid trade-off, or price some just have to pay, to make C+R so "great" for the rest of you.

You're just justifying all the abuse away with Olympian-trained mental gymnastics. You're vaulting, dodging, and hurdling past this truth: If your office is as abusive and terrorizing as it is for even one employee, let alone the countless employees evident in your high turnover, you have FAILED.

All good things come to an end

I worked at C&R Research

Pros

Has a successful foundation, lots of interesting clients

Cons

the club atmosphere was not for me

embrace diversity

Toxic work environment

I have been working at C&R Research

Pros

- There are some truly friendly, wonderful people here.
    - A "fun"-loving culture with a penchant for happy hours.
    - Perseverant despite the odds in the face of difficult times.
    - Simple and easy work.
    - In a great location in downtown Chicago, the office is very accessible.
    - A good place to start your career or add a few more years of experience.

Cons

- A lot of "friendliness" tends to be specious and fickle. You have to wade through those expecting total adulation to get to the truly good people.
    - Toxicity is the default mode when it should be seen as a malady to be cured.
    - Too much of the "fun" generally involves character assassination, victimizing clients, vendors, and especially other co-workers.
    - Bad communication often sabotages their work.
    - Zero respect for privacy.
    - High levels of insecurity combined with a low tolerance for criticism creates a lack of professionalism, as slights, real or imagined, can quickly morph into high treason. A great, public example can be seen on JobVent.com. A couple employees actually left retaliatory remarks on the website against a reviewer for voicing her or his opinion.
    - Cowardly and passive-aggressive. There are no attempts to resolve issues or directly confront people one-on-one, though this might be a symptom of the fact that attempts at doing so seem only to get callously hand-waved or even stoke hate.
    - Peter's Placebo is the law here. A "favorite" can behave like a spoiled problem-child and work as little as possible, yet never get penalized.

- Everyone has value. Learn this fact, fast. Treat everyone as an equal. You may not like those who aren't your "favorites," after all they're not overtly trying to kiss up, but give them a chance and keep up the positive reinforcement. Then, sit back and watch how many of your employees have blossomed into your new favorites.
    - Solve your problems at their roots, don't just sweep the symptoms under the rug. Try a why-because analysis with some of your issues to get deep down to their root causes. Don't stop at asking why only once, if you do the answer is superficial and likely to only be a symptom of the real problem.
    - Stop responding to negative posts about the company on websites, especially so soon after the post is made. It's telling. Perception always matters. Do you want to be seen as an entity that trolls websites daily looking for disparagement? Is that the business image you want to project?
    - Remember, "It takes more strength to relate to people than to dominate them." -Alex Karras.
    - Be welcoming, warm and responsive to the needs and desires of ALL individuals in your company. Don't blame people for signs, imagined or not, of disgruntlement or dissatisfaction but instead recognize these as signals to gauge the atmosphere around these individuals as it's probably not their fault. Instead of taking it personally, think. Can you make a difference to make these people's life better? You will, if you really are a "family" and not just saying so to lull yourself into a masturbatory false sense of good feelings.
    - Understand causal relationships in the interactions among others. Regain control and reign in poor behavior, don't condone it as it is most certainly causing demoralization and distractions and, consequently, less than optimum performance across the board. Venting is one thing, but when it's so pervasive and repetitive that just about every meeting or social gathering unerringly becomes a verbal lynch mob against one person or another, it becomes illegal cases of bullying and defamation. Not to mention that it's a bit pathetic that conversation skills are so lacking that we can only rely on hurting another person to bond with one another.
    - Keep in mind that a regular work day is eight hours. Eight hours is also spent sleeping. Commute may be one or two hours. The remaining six or seven hours is for the rest of a person's life. Factoring in weekends, this means that more than half of a person's life is spent in an office each week. Try to consider this fact if you know there are several particular employees who are having an artificially difficult time, as it is most certainly affecting the quality of their life, during and after work.
    - Quote Darwin all you want, our society is based off community. We defy our base instincts and the destructive aspects of nature every day. That's how we got this far as a species. Our drive to be competitive should be used primarily against our competitors, not the people trying to help us, i.e. clients, vendors, and co-workers.
    - Be leaders of change, not followers of trends. Maybe it is because your work has you following market trends and focusing only about majority opinions that you forget you have power to change anything at all for the better.
    - In the business world, even the ladies have to man up and stand strong. In fact, because of perception, you must be extra graceful, perceptive and magnanimous, otherwise you will fall into a stereotype of seeming overly emotional, petty, and petulant.
    - Above all, the meaning of life is the relationships you make with others. When all is said and done, in our final hours, NO SANE PERSON ever looks back at her life and says to herself, "I wish I spent more time spreading grief and creating hate." Expunge your toxic environment by setting a better example.

Passive-aggressive environment

I have been working at C&R Research

Pros

Lots of freedom. Good for those who like to work relatively independently. mostly nice people.

Cons

Little structure or organization. Poor communication from the top down. Overt Favoritism. Most perks eliminated. No understanding of how to invest in people resources.

Take a step back and separate your emotional stake and try to think and act from more of professionally. This doesn't mean you need to be cold or impersonal but it does mean that you are consultive, coaching, and non-judgmental. People are your greatest resource - try to communicate directly with them more on a one to one basis.

Average work environment

I worked at C&R Research

Pros

They offer great benefits, and the people are friendly. They make it a priority to have fun while they work.

Cons

There's a lack of focus and strategy. People work hard but not necessarily smart. Things could be a lot more efficient.

Look for talented people and support them. Create strategies and stick to them. A little bit of structure could really help.

Not great.

I worked at C&R Research full-time

Pros

Being a small company, you are exposed to a lot of different functions which could help down the road.

There are a few fun people working there...and that is about all the good I can say about this place. As someone else brilliantly put it, "toxic work environment".

Cons

Everything else. Spiteful, petty management. All upper management walks around like they are God's gift to research. They need to get out of their bubbles and see how the real world operates.

No thought goes into anything this company does. Think they are "cutting edge", but are very far behind the big research firms with resources.

More worried about including pretty pictures in client reports than the actual data and other content. Their processes are archaic. No structure on any teams within the organization.

All of the above is while I worked there. The people I do keep in touch with say it has only gotten worse since I left. I feel horrible for them.

Management is the biggest problem.

Half good, half bad...but the bad is really bad.

Former Employee - Senior Research Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Research Manager

I worked at C&R Research

Pros

Loved working with certain people and on certain projects. Really are some great people there.

They provide free lunch to all employees on Mondays.

Nice location.

Salray is comparable to other firms.

Cons

They don't have any consistency in any regard. Always switching up teams for different projects. You get used to and like working with certain people and then you get thrown in with people who do things completely different.

Very little direction from managers, but when you present them with work they want it redone their way.

Every does good things and sometimes make mistakes. Those mistakes are magnified and harped on forEVER. Good things are hardly ever recognized.

As others have said, if you are not one of the "favorites", good luck.

Unfortunately, the biggest problems lie within senior management.