C&S Wholesale Grocers

Updated February 24, 2015
3.2

C&S Wholesale Grocers Chairman and CEO Rick Cohen
Rick Cohen

Pros
  • C&S is definitely a fast-paced environment, but if that excites you, you'll do great (in 17 reviews)

• Like the rest of C&S, the work is fast paced and this may appeal to some (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • they have poor work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Workers at local hospital call C&S "Coronary & Stroke" (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

An amazing company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

Unlimited growth potential; If you are willing to put the time into the job there are very few limits to where you can get to. I had been provided so many opportunities and schooling was not a major factor as I only had HS diploma. Confidence, learning capacity, common sense, and personal drive to do what ever it takes.

Cons

I can't name any, but there are high expectation place on you individually.

Keep growth plans going; Ensure the people getting the work done are brought in early enough to learn the requirements.

Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

C&S offers ample opportunity for personal growth if you are willing to work hard. Management is appreciative of employees' contributions to the department, and they will work with you to develop your skills and knowledge. Benefits are okay, and the free on-site health clinic for prescriptions and everyday issues is really great. The hours are consistent, but time-off requests are usually granted without too many issues. Work-life balance below the manager level is reasonable.

Cons

Health insurance plans aren't bad, but could be better for a company this size. The work-life balance for managers and above gets pretty lopsided, depending on the time of year. The company culture seems to change significantly between departments, depending on the attitudes of the managers. Some higher-ups are out-of-touch with the difficulty and/or simplicity of their assignments - sometimes you will be handed a project that takes a week and they will expect it the next day, and other times you'll get an assignment that takes an hour and have a deadline 2 weeks out.

Interesting work, not interesting salary

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a business analyst, I had an extremely high degree of autonomy as to what projects I would tackle and where I put my energies. Since my job was primarily advisory in nature, the senior management of the company often relied on my recommendations without question.

Cons

C&S is not known for their generosity. They will low-ball you on salary if you let them. Easily one of the lowest paying employers in the region.

Policy can often feel like it blows in the direction of the wind. It can be frustrating to always have a different strategy to follow every 6 months.

Stable company, Poor work life balance, and Average Salary

Former Employee - Finance in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Finance in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some wonderful people you meet while working here.

Cons

Poor work life balance, no proper training, no appreciation or recognition for all the hard work. 1% or 2% raise annually is a joke. Lately, most employees seemed to be burnt out due to excessive workload.

Stable company, terrible benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, C&S is involved with local charities, work is never boring.

Cons

Benefits stink, communication is not the greatest, and there is sometimes a blind eye turned to slacking off. Ex: People on salary can pretty much come and go as they please without working a full 40 like the hourly people have to.

Please get better health insurance! It's expensive and yet covers so little, it's cost me tons of money in medical bills.

Used to be a better company to work for.

Former Employee - IT Department in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - IT Department in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For the Keene area the company pays pretty good when you start. They have a good IT infrastructure which allows you to keep your skills current, I have also had pretty good success at getting training when I have asked for it. People, for the most part, are great in the IT department. Like the rest of C&S, the work is fast paced and this may appeal to some.

Cons

Stress level is very high in this 24/7 company. Workers at local hospital call C&S "Coronary & Stroke".

No pay raises, as it's usually just 2% each year IF your lucky. Health insurance is now a joke.

Recently a large percentage of IT has been converted to "offshore labor", but they still refuse to call it outsourcing. This seems to have put a further drag on pay and how well they treat you.

Your job enjoyment can be largely effected by the manager you work for, some are really bad, some are great.

I have never been in a place with such low overall morale. Everyone is thoroughly "beat down" and burnt out. Get your skills current here and then move on to a less stressful environment.

Exciting

Current Employee - Office in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Office in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

C&S is definitely a fast-paced environment, but if that excites you, you'll do great. I left a boring 9-5 job to come here, and I couldn't be happier. The people are smart, dedicated, and fun. Because it's a private company, there isn't a lot of bureaucracy. It's a great place for people who like to get things done.

Cons

If you're not the best at what you do, or if you're not willing to learn to be the best, then C&S might not be for you.

It's Not Worth It

Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Analyst in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Associate Merchandising Analyst in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are a growing business and are generally good about giving raises every year. The company as a whole donates a lot to charities. There is a free clinic with some free prescriptions.

Cons

The company values are very archaic. They have begun to give laptops to full-time employees and told that you should "consider" taking it home every night. They do not believe in working from home even if it a blizzard outside their philosophy is if you are not at work you are not working. Life-Work balance in non-existent and it is hard to transfer teams or raise in your position.

Find ways to acknowledge your employees. Having more than 5 paid holiday days would be nice and not ridiculing those that take the days before or after would be a nice perk.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Buyer in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Buyer in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting business, and C&S seems to excel in it. When I was there the employment seemed reliable and the business was growing, which was pretty remarkable in the economic conditions at the time.

Cons

Unsatisfying and repetitive job with little chance for advancement. Poor training and little autonomy. The buying department had high turnover.

Gives fast-paced a new definition.

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Feels like a flat organization (engagement with senior/executive level management is a regular part of most employee's days); lateral movement is fairly easy, and often encouraged; there is never a shortage of things to do; health clinic available to employees and their families; great place to "pay your dues" and learn how to work in a VERY fast paced environment, with constantly changing priorities

Cons

Approach to most problems is brute force (A LOT of manual business process); some business practices (because it's a private company) feel shady; professional development is frequently cast aside in order to meet the demands of the day

Develop less reactive attitudes to the problems on today and shift focus to the potential issues in the future.

C&S Wholesale Grocers Photos