C&S Wholesale Grocers

Updated September 22, 2014
2.5

C&S Wholesale Grocers Chairman and CEO Rick Cohen
Rick Cohen

Pros
  • C&S is definitely a fast-paced environment, but if that excites you, you'll do great (in 14 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment and it keeps you busy (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • they have poor work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours are expected and necessary to get the job done (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable company, terrible benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, C&S is involved with local charities, work is never boring.

Cons

Benefits stink, communication is not the greatest, and there is sometimes a blind eye turned to slacking off. Ex: People on salary can pretty much come and go as they please without working a full 40 like the hourly people have to.

Please get better health insurance! It's expensive and yet covers so little, it's cost me tons of money in medical bills.

C&S Wholesale Employee Review - Associate Buyer

Current Employee - Associate Buyer  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Bronx, NY

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than a year

Pros

If your consider work ethic your strength, and you're motivated enough to get where you want to be, this company will only help you. Fast paced, high volume environment that demands efficiency and attention to detail. Nature of being a buyer fine tunes your business capabilities by exposing you to the entire supply chain.

Cons

Below average senior management that creates a poor work/life balance. Salary is low, but the environment you work in is dependent of your team, which is pretty much all you deal with. The C&S work experience is rewarding, but socially withdrawing.

give your employees more freedom. We all have bright minds and want to do a job to benefit the company pockets, but it would be beneficial if you made us realize how big of an asset we really are.

Good, solid company to work for

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job stability, benefits are okay, fair work/life balance

Cons

If you don't know the right people, hard to find new career opportunities

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a better company to work for.

Former Employee - IT Department  in  Keene, NH
    Former Employee - IT Department in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For the Keene area the company pays pretty good when you start. They have a good IT infrastructure which allows you to keep your skills current, I have also had pretty good success at getting training when I have asked for it. People, for the most part, are great in the IT department. Like the rest of C&S, the work is fast paced and this may appeal to some.

Cons

Stress level is very high in this 24/7 company. Workers at local hospital call C&S "Coronary & Stroke".

No pay raises, as it's usually just 2% each year IF your lucky. Health insurance is now a joke.

Recently a large percentage of IT has been converted to "offshore labor", but they still refuse to call it outsourcing. This seems to have put a further drag on pay and how well they treat you.

Your job enjoyment can be largely effected by the manager you work for, some are really bad, some are great.

I have never been in a place with such low overall morale. Everyone is thoroughly "beat down" and burnt out. Get your skills current here and then move on to a less stressful environment.

Unprofessional and unorganized

Former Employee - Warehouse Selector  in  Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Selector in Plant City, FL

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for less than a year

Pros

No supervision, can sit around, nice lunch room.

Cons

They assured us 35-40 hours a week, but was only getting 20 hours and 25 if I stayed back and picked up trash around the place. Poor management, only way you can get a promotion is if you bend over for the management, really favorites were picked over the harder workers that hit there numbers and beyond, and a drama filled environment, people were fighting out in the parking lot my 3rd week, also very ghetto, they hired a crackhead right off the street, so just about anyone can get a job.

Spend more time with the individual, do not just throw them out in on the floor fresh out of 1 week training and expect them to hit there numbers, than ask why and what's wrong than just fire them. PS I did not get fired, I left because I found better opportunity, for 12.25 its not worth all the BS you guys disperse in large quantities.

Stress induced misery

Current Employee - Grocery Selector
    Current Employee - Grocery Selector

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay rate is pretty decent compared to minimum wage.

Cons

Red prairie will make you want to die. The stress on the body and head are too much for anyone.

Either get rid of red prairie and go back to case rate or do a collaboration of both. The military mainlines really screw a selector out of any chance of get a good wage.

HR Review

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

Many departments within the company to find your fit.

Cons

HR has many issues in the company

Overworked for little pay

Current Employee - Selector  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Selector in Windsor, CT

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Faulty equipment, time standard is changing all the time and is unfair. Company does not follow through with the promises they make. Slave work!!

Management are good people they have to follow what is told to them by higher ups and theres a lot of little tedious rules and lack of communication causing disorganization. The employees work hard and when are first hired are promised the chance to move up and learn more about the business. Seems to be a lot of politics and only a select few get any help with moving around in positions, and there are a lot of more qualified people then the people that are chosen for better positions. Working here I never feel secure with my job and as an employee that is the worst feeling you could have ( providing for a family and not knowing if you will be let go the next day). The turnover rate is crazy I have never seen anything like it. The management are good people, but they take orders from the higher ups who dont see the warehouse on a day to day bases. Corporate is always changing something and will test something out and drop it a week later, not realizing it effects the selectors, hi-low time standard which in turn effects are income. When i first started i could easily do a 140% now the standard is so messed up achieving a 100% is sometimes a challenge considering the wrap machines, usually one will not be working waiting in line to wrap are pallets because it is mandatory causes us to lose so much time through out the day, the shots have all been increased by size little by little the cube size has become a 130 cube average and for a 10 to 12 hour day that is a lot for a person who has to do this four days in a row. I encourage the company to really sit down with the employees and really hear them out and just do the right thing yes its a business and money has to be made but there is a line were it just becomes GREED and that causes Morale to go way down.

Place sucks period

Current Employee - Selector  in  DuBois, PA
    Current Employee - Selector in DuBois, PA

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People I work with are great the only way to make it through the day

Cons

Red praiaire sucks completely hard work for very little to no reward or good job to selectors

Learn to communicate with each other stop acting like your in charge

Not what was expected ...

Former Employee - Warehouse Selector  in  Suffield, CT
    Former Employee - Warehouse Selector in Suffield, CT

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hiring process is fast.

Cons

For Warehouse Selectors, after your training, you are put on a "percentage probation period." This means that every week you are expected to get faster and faster at picking items. Until you reach 100% of what they believe is optimal efficiency. Everything you do from the moment you clock in is timed. And efficiency for them is everything. For what you are paid, the amount of wear and tear on your body and stress... it's not worth it.

If you are going to use a time based efficiency model, then you have to account for aisle congestions, accidents, counseling, and fatigue. Employees are not machines.

Worked for C&S Wholesale Grocers? Contribute to the Community!