C&S Wholesale Grocers Reviews

166 reviews filtered by
2.7
C&S Wholesale Grocers Chairman and CEO Rick Cohen
Rick Cohen

Pros
  • C&S is definitely a fast-paced environment, but if that excites you, you'll do great (in 17 reviews)

• Like the rest of C&S, the work is fast paced and this may appeal to some (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • they have poor work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Workers at local hospital call C&S "Coronary & Stroke" (in 13 reviews)

1. Its what you expect

Current Employee - Selector in Hatfield, MA
    Current Employee - Selector in Hatfield, MA

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

good pay for the job, management helps make a schedule that works with your life if you are a student or are in the armed services

Cons

meeting quotas can undermine safety, opportunity to move up the corporate ladder takes a while unless you have a degree/ special training in a specified area

Add rewards to long standing employees and employees that out perform the standards (not-just the incentive pay) then better status

2. Industrial Engineering Co-op

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

travelling, good housing, Quality work

Cons

Long hours of work, no recognition

3. good job but did not last long

Former Employee - Order Selector in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Stockton, CA

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

very good money, good hours, good benifets

Cons

got laid off, gave up other job that I had for five years just to get laid off

get more customers to hire back the employees

5. C&S always provides me with the tools I need to succeed and the mentoring needed to grow as an employee.

Current Employee - Dock Coordinator in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Dock Coordinator in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While working as a selector I averaged $18.00-$22.00 an hour which is a great hourly rate for minimal qualifications. The base rate is $15.00/hr. but you receive incentive pay based on your work performance, which allows you to control your hourly rate. You’re not told when to take breaks or lunch; you are allowed to take them whenever you want which is a nice perk. The company offered me cross training in different areas and continued to develop me as an employee. There are two selection shifts which make scheduling very flexible; management really does try to work with employees to accommodate your needs. Not only is management great with scheduling but if you have a problem they really do seem to care and go out of their way to help you. After working here for a year I was accepted into the tuition reimbursement program, which reimbursed me up to $5,000 per year for school. This allowed me to continue my education and complete my bachelor’s degree in business management. C&S reimbursed me a total of over $10,000; if I wouldn’t have been accepted into this program I probably wouldn’t have finished my bachelor’s degree. Another great program the company offers is their 401k program. A lot of companies got rid of 401k programs to save money, but C&S matches employee contributions up to 5% which is a nice bonus. The company is filled with great employees & great management. I couldn’t see myself working anywhere else.

Cons

There aren’t many cons within this company, the only thing that could be a con is nightshift if you don’t like it. However, after working here 2 years my facility started a day shift selection shift which was great. After working nights for a little bit though you really do get used to it.

My advice to management is to keep doing what you’re already doing. As I stated above management really does work with their employees, whether it be scheduling issues, work related issues, or personal issues. I’ve never had a negative experience with a manager, all the management treat employees with respect.

6. This is a great place to work! We Feed America!

Current Employee - Many in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Many in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

C&S provides plenty of opportunity for internal growth and advancement opportunities. If you work smart and hard and show you have a drive to learn, leader and contribute more, the management and the Company will give you the opportunity to shine. Managers are very accessible and very fair to work with. Coworkers make it more of a family atmosphere. 4 day work weeks and 3 days off. Opportunities to travel within the Company to help other facilities. Strong solid company that is growing continuously with more opportunity for employees. Safe, clean, great pay and full benefits with matching 401k. We get paid weekly so there is never a long span to go without a check.

Cons

No doubt, it is physically demanding, most times you have to start on nights but there are opportunities to get to days after a short time in training.

Keep doing what you are doing. Management is fair, interested in making people successful, they appreciate seeing people make good money here.

7. Good Paying job but people take it for granted.

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

Top Pay in 3 years at 25. $5.00 an hour pension. Kaiser benefits. 4-10 schedule. Big Union. Billion dollar company. Best warehouseman in the industry.

Cons

Management inexperience. Global policy.

go to school

8. Explosive Growth, Unlimited Potential, Empty promises !!!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

Company promotes from within and helps you grow

Cons

Some one is always looking to take your place
    Better wages coming off the street into a salaried position then being promoted up the ranks

Dont make promises that you are not going to keep

9. Be prepared to work long hours with minimal support

Current Employee - Warehouse Operations in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operations in Stockton, CA

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

The company pays really well compared to others in the same market. There is no bonus unless you're a general manager or above.

Cons

The challenge is working with very tight budgets. The other challenge is working in an environment full of Union members. Some of the members abuse the system and make it bad for everyone.

Once you let someone go for a violation of the company policy don't let them come back. Management needs to follow their own advice and rules and stop going back and forth.

10. Ok but not great

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay check in an organized warehouse.

Cons

Make promises to management that is not kept

Be honest and up front. Take care of the people and the manager

11. An amazing company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers

Pros

Unlimited growth potential; If you are willing to put the time into the job there are very few limits to where you can get to. I had been provided so many opportunities and schooling was not a major factor as I only had HS diploma. Confidence, learning capacity, common sense, and personal drive to do what ever it takes.

Cons

I can't name any, but there are high expectation place on you individually.

Keep growth plans going; Ensure the people getting the work done are brought in early enough to learn the requirements.

C&S Wholesale Grocers Photos