C1 Consulting

Updated February 20, 2015
2.3

Rob Sederman and Elizabeth Rountree
1 Rating

Great learning opportunities and fascinating work

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a work environment that encourages intellectual curiosity and independent achievement, while at the same time fostering teamwork in all the best ways. Great coworkers with diverse backgrounds, all bringing their best to the work.

Cons

Stress levels can get a little high. It's good to put clients first, but need to take care to not burn people out.

Directors and Managing Directors are stretched too thin, and this has a ripple effect. Better balance at the top may be helpful.

All around bad experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

The pay was good given the line of work.

Cons

Everything but the pay, honestly.

Working here was stressful from the moment I accepted the offer onward. I had to relocate from a small town, so finding movers that could pick up and deliver within the close start date that they had set was impossible. I managed to find a mover, but had to have the start date pushed back by a few days so I could actually show up at work. Not to mention how I was hired in with another person but within a week they were suspended and then fired.

Once setting up the initial new employee paperwork, you're expected to immediately jump into their projects and start contributing without any sort of training to speak of. Coworker and managers will encourage you to ask questions, but they're frequently so frazzled by their own workload that they get short with you when you're trying to understand how to do something.

The training that a previous review mentioned is largely a way to get the offices to meet but not so much to teach you anything about your specific job. All of the training for all positions are done together, so there's no focus on consulting skills for consultants or analytics for analysts. Additionally, because the New Jersey, Atlanta, and San Francisco offices handle wildly different workloads, the training seemed to be centered around San Francisco-Office projects more than strategic Atlanta projects or analytical New Jersey projects. In fact, new hires from the NJ office didn't even come to the training.

On top of poor training, I was misled as to the actual nature of the job they were hiring me for. I was told that usually weeks were usually 50 hours or less, yet found myself working a lot of nights and skipping lunch. The San Francisco office was much worse and frequently had 60+ hour weeks, but at least they had the scheduling benefits of a salaried position.

If you're looking to accept in the Atlanta office, you have to be in work by 8:30 and leave at 5:30. But be warned, if you're later than 8:30, you're a slacker, and if you leave at 5:30 you're not working hard enough. For a company that has work at home Fridays, that's ridiculous.

The biggest gripe I had in the office was the constant harping on communication. Because of the lack of training, it's hard to ask for help on things you don't know because you don't know them. I didn't encounter a lot of things I needed help with until later in my projects because I didn't know that would be a component of it. When I went to ask for help I was greeted by frazzled coworkers who wanted to give me the bare minimum information, so there really was no point in asking for help to begin with. However, if you do anything wrong, you're impatiently reprimanded and told to redo it to a standard that they should have told you it needed to be done to in the first place.

I highly discourage people from working at this company if you value any semblance of a work-life balance. One of the women I met at the training event was a super high energy, excited chick, but when I was on a call with her a month later, she sounded dead and exhausted. That seems to be the story of the company, especially if you want any sort of advancement.

Stop overworking employees and start offering relevant training instead of umbrella training. If you want new hires to come ask questions like you say you do, don't take your exhaustion out on them constantly. You only discourage them and create a hostile work environment.

Pretty tough experience overall to work - not recommended

I worked at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

Good pay, work from home on most Fridays, free drinks and snacks.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. The company is filled with very, very smart people - unfortunately, they have no idea how to train or retain their talent. Management continually scratches their heads about why their turnover rate (I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU TO ASK WHAT THEIR TURNOVER RATE IS AFTER TWO YEARS IF YOU GO IN FOR AN INTERVIEW), but they refuse to turn they eye of blame towards themselves.

The working culture is very, very unhealthy for development. Middle management is filled with corporate types who have worked at large pharmaceutical companies. So even though this is a small firm, it has a rigid corporate atmosphere and culture, which completely negates the benefits of working for a small company. The company has lots of internal corporate buzz words and mantras that you usually only see in larger corporate structures. This is because middle and upper management have brought their experience at larger pharmaceutical corporations and applied it to this boutique firm, which really alienates a lot of people who were expecting a more boutique atmosphere. You will hear a lot about "Attention to Detail", which within company culture is used as a catch-all for any mistake that you may make. You will never actually be instructed on what you specifically do wrong - just told that you need to work on abstract concepts that don't really make sense. As such, no one improves. Work deadlines are tight, but that is expected at any consultancy - however, it is harder to hit deadlines on projects that actually matter when you are getting hounded about doing internal projects that no one actually believes matter. If you make little mistakes on your work (misspelling a word, or forgetting a period at the end of a sentence) it will be treated as a bigger deal than if you were to make a big mistake (such as completely misinterpreting some data and making the wrong recommendation). Ultimately, a disproportionate amount of priority is placed on the style of your work rather than the substance or content. This is complicated by the fact that a lot of "style" (such as what color bars to make your bar graphs) is personal preference - so one of your bosses will give you the advice to color things a certain way, and then when you take his/her advice, your other boss will get mad about doing so and tell you to work on your attention to detail. Overall, it was a very frustrating experience, that could be improved with better training, clearer expectations, more focus on the specifics of how employees can improve, and less rigid culture that disenfranchises employees.

Better training, tell people specifically how they can improve, stop using so many internal corporate buzz words that are only used to make fun of people behind their backs who use them.

If the salary looks good, it is not worth it unless it is 200k+ with no experience

I worked at C1 Consulting

Pros

Work from home Fridays
    Good pay

Cons

Everything besides the pay.
    Cult of personality surrounding one or two individuals in your office
    They will work you 50 to 60+ hours per week and will have no respect for your familial life. Emails over Christmas holidays are the norm. You will be castigated if you do not respect the "on call 24/7" rule. Sadly, they don't tell you this going into the job. Expectations and training are non existent. Unless you have A LOT of Consulting experience and fully understand the industry, I would stay away. This is a terrible place to learn and develop your career out of undergrad/grad school, but could be a good option for more experienced workers who know what they are getting into. If you have less than 5 years experience, they pay will seem great, but taking a job here could likely set your career back a few years because you WIll get burnt out and hate yourself within 3 months. Just ask what turnover is at the company and you will understand. Seriously, if you get an interview, ask what turnover is in this company. That will tell the story. Middle management is out for themselves, will take credit for your work and blame you when things go wrong. Prepare to live a miserable existence if you want to succeed.

Actual training. More emphasis on what you actually want done.
     More concrete instructions. Actually care about developing new talent.

It was an experience....

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at C1 Consulting

Pros

Decent pay given the educational/professional requirements, somewhat nice/lofty feeling office, work home on Friday

Cons

Where to start. In my year of being there, favoritism was a big issue. Some people were part of the inner circle, others were outcasts. That feeling extended to meetings, bonuses and PTO. Hours were insane. Not working one day on the weekend but spending 65+ hours a week on a consistent basis with no incentive. The managing director would regularly send emails at 4am and that would be used as an excuse among consultants to work as hard. Well if I were the owner pulling down 500k+ a year, I'd work that hard too! Getting yelled at for a typo on a slide deck was the norm. Employees were being fired regularly and blamed for their performance without thinking internal processes could be the issue. Lots of talk to "improve" employee retention but in the time I was there, 4 people quit (those that stayed were looking for new jobs). Communication was very limited. No one talks at C1. The only time people talk is when you're being berated for doing something wrong.

Show that you actually care about employee retention and not just the bottom dollar. Any small company which regularly (every 2-3 months) has an employee quit or get fired needs to consider what they are doing wrong rather than duping prospective employees into doing the same thing. A few of the reviews I am led to believe are from either the managing director or one of her inner circle employees. I ask people to read those with a grain of salt.

Good for some, bad for others

I worked at C1 Consulting

Pros

Interesting projects at times (for example, working on different drugs), but in the end you're essentially doing the same kind of work, same kind of analysis, same PPT presentations and with the same company (90% of the time).

Pay is good considering the size of the firm.

You get to work from home on Fridays, which is an added benefit if you have kids.

Cons

The first poster was a little harsh in the review, but I had experiences with each one of those issues. It's true new hires receive (or used to) no training. The idea was that smart people are hired so that they can navigate themselves and learn on the job. Sadly, I've seen people fired and other quit because of this line of thinking. Even top 5 consulting firms have training programs for MIT graduates. It's foolish not to have one at C1.

The work ours are grueling, especially when traveling. You're expected to be in the office the same day you return from travel. Even when employees do interviews, you can see the work schedule taking its toll. When I interviewed, current employees spent little time actually explaining the cases to me and seemed rather miffed if I didn't understand a concept being asked.

Clear favoritism from many angles. Analysts are certainly not in the inner circle with the MD. Even among consultants, there are clear favorites, which means either a) suck up to her more, or b)don't be a man. It wasn't surprising to see one person told that they wouldn't be allowed to take time off, but a different person be given the green light. It all boils down to the MD's view of you and your work, which is made all the more arbitrary considering the lack of her presence in the office.

Take the job if you have nothing else, but chances are you won't be there that long. I would say at least 70% have not been there more than a year, with only one person who has been there over two years. Do yourself a favor, work at someplace established with clear guidelines and where you can at least get benefits common in the industry (paid cell phones, gym membership, etc.)

Better processes, institute a positive culture, provide more reviews, create a real training program for new hires

High expectations but many opportunities for growth and interesting work

I have been working at C1 Consulting

Pros

There are many opportunities to work on a variety of interesting projects. Projects tend not to be straightforward, so you always feel that you're learning something new. The work is challenging, and you do feel that the results matter to the client. As a result, you often feel more like you're a partner with the client than just another vendor.

Office environment is very collegial. Co-workers are awesome to work with. Everyone is friendly, intelligent, and always willing to help even though they're busy. Because of the company's size, the structure if very flat and you can have input into projects at all levels. People are given a lot of freedom and responsibility from the start.

Lots of room for growth within the company. Management has high standards, but reviews are fair and the company structure is a meritocracy. There is a focus on helping people develop professionally. While training tools may still be lacking, there are many opportunities to supplement internal training with external courses, workshops, and conferences. The management is very willing to invest in its people and find opportunities that fit your interest to help you grow professionally.

Management does listen to its employees and have made changes based on feedback from employees. While every grievance cannot be addressed, they do make an effort in areas where they can.

Work from home on Fridays - one of the best perks. Not having to commute one day a week and being able to work in your pajamas is pretty nice.

Less travel than most consulting companies. On average, people travel about once a month, but this can depend on the nature of your projects.

Company does try to offer small perks in the office - a wii, snacks, happy hours, and occasional free lunches.

Cons

Sometimes time is not set aside specifically for training, so people tend to multi-task and may not get as much out of scheduled training events.

Because of the company's size, development of internal documentation and training tools fall on those in the office, so you can have several internal projects in addition to client projects. Processes are continuously being modified, so you have to keep on your toes for the current process.

Hours can be long but is expected for any consulting company. Policies are in place to help improve work/life balance and comp days are offered for excessive hours, but ultimately, it is up to each person to manage his/her hours.

Project timelines can be tight. Feedback is sometimes given with less time than desired for turning around the deliverable to the client, which can be stressful.

Benefits may not be as good as some larger companies but is pretty good for a small company.

Set aside specific time for training, continue to solicit employee feedback to understand what matters to people, maintain the current office culture as the company grows, and don't ever get rid of work from home Fridays.

Arbitrary and unpredictable place to work, but clearly on the upswing

I worked at C1 Consulting

Pros

The reviews that are positive here reflect recent changes.

It is true that because of the company's small size and recent history of losing many employees (some due to unfortunate hiring decisions, done partly out of the need to get more staff to handle how busy the company was), the management is now deeply invested in keeping its staff happy. This is a recent change and should not entirely be trusted.

The small size means that one gets a full-range of experiences in project management and research. The co-owner and some of the more senior management are experienced and knowledgeable, and there have been efforts to start sharing that experience. The company is busy which means there's a fair amount of job security if you do your work attentively and can tolerate the occasionally erratic moods of the head of the company.

There is a desire to do projects creatively, though sometimes this is understandably restrained by client interest and limited budgets, which is often the case in any company.

The employees are smart and serious, but also willing to be social and have fun.

Cons

High employee turnover actually reflects problems with how employees have been treated. A couple of reviews note that review process at the company is fair, this is not actually true. There was (in the past, at least) clear favoritism and arbitrary treatment of employees. Bonus potential is generous, but withholding bonuses has been used as a reactive measure that seems highly inappropriate in an otherwise rigorous and empirically-oriented company.

Time off was not distributed evenly and further reflected favoritism. For example, in spite of being exempt employees, I was told that in order to go to a doctor's appointment I would need to use my PTO, yet the company happily expected its employees to work 60+ hour weeks with (again somewhat arbitrary) little to no comp time offered.

It is clear that the management has started to treat its employees more respectfully, at the risk of losing well-prepared and smart employees.

Instituting actual policies about time off, etc, would allow employees who are not treated fairly to have a policy against which to challenge unequal treatment. Matching the bonus potential to a concrete metric would also be useful.

Don't listen to the naysayer....

I have been working at C1 Consulting

Pros

- Many opportunities to work on a variety of projects from simple to complex, all types of market research depending on your interests, variety of clients and it's less about your title and more about the skill set you bring to the table
    - Opportunities to interact directly with clients for all employees
    - Lower level employees not pigeon-holed into routine assignments but given the opportunity to explore other types of market research
    - People are really smart and very accomplished
    - Small size gives it an entrepreneurial environment

Cons

- Some processes like employee training are in currently being overhauled to address past issues, a vast improvement but still in progress
    - Unconventional interview process can sometimes be a little intimidating but don't let that stop you from trying
    - Limited access to managing director but steps are currently being taken to remedy this...

None.

Know what you're getting yourself into.

I worked at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

C1 can be a great stepping stone to other employment. I would recommend the company in this manner only.

Cons

In my time at C1 I didn't meet a single person who wanted to be there. Many held a PhD or Masters level degree in psychology, biology, or other fields. Most were there for a paycheck and that's it. The typical tenure was only 1 year with veterans lasting 2-3. Management treated employees like children, often hiring under-qualified people, training them (not really), and then firing them for small mistakes. The company wastes a lot of money this way, but it's not unexpected when you have doctors running the business end of an organization.

Go to the library and get a book on organizational behavior. Read research on how successful companies manage employees.