C3 Energy
www.c3energy.com Redwood City, CA 50 to 149 Employees

C3 Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
C3 Energy – “C3 Energy Project”

C3 Energy CEO Thomas M. Siebel

Thomas M. Siebel

Product strategy and marketing

Director (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsA highly talented team at the level of your day to day work, and an unusually experienced and respected team of leadership, who know their way around Silicon Valley, startups, and how to run a company like this for the long term. It's rare to find the level of long-range thinking, security, yet good risk appetite in such a young company, and especially in an industry like this.

ConsMany, many product and customer initiatives going on at once, but relatively par for the course. What you end up doing may be very different from what you thought you would come in doing.

C3 is an exceptional career opportunity

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking at C3 is a unique opportunity that I'd recommend for anyone who gets the chance:

- Tackling an enormous market (economic) opportunity as well as important global problem;

- Exceptionally senior management team, with access to the necessary resources (expertise, contacts, $) to successfully deliver on the opportunity;

- A strong team across the organization, hard working but also good at having fun;

- An opportunity to work with and learn from Tom Siebel, a legend in the enterprise software world.

In addition, while compensation packages at hiring are decent, strong performance is quickly recognized in terms of both increased responsibility and much increased compensation.

And yes, I am no longer at C3, but I left for non-C3 reasons and would be happy to come back if my situation changes. Net net, I very much enjoyed the work, loved the team, and would recommend the company highly.

ConsFailure is not an option, and everyone is expected to consistently perform at an "A" level. If you aren't up for that challenge, this probably won't be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking remotely and still contributing at a high level is very achievable nowadays using cost-effective cloud tools such as hangouts/gotomeeting/hipchat/box etc - I'd encourage exploring those options beyond just the sales & field services organizations.

I think a lot of these positive reviews are fake

Vice President (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThere is always the possibility the company will somehow get sold.
    There are a lot of very smart people there, although the culture ... well let's put that in the negatives.
    Some of the Board members are interesting people.

ConsNumerous.
    The company's strategy shifts with the wind.
    Every executive position is a revolving door - there have been numerous heads of sales, marketing, product management, engineering, and even CEOs in the company's short history.
    The current, very famous, CEO is very difficult to work with. He is insulting, insensitive, and really does not care about you at all.
    The many changes in the company strategy, the CEO's overselling, and the CEO's underinvesting in product development make a positive outcome for the company very unlikely.
    The CEO often talked about how he could hire people from Mechanical Turk or Guru to enter data for a very low cost - given the enormous number of people who quit, were fired, or who are still there but extremely unhappy, I can't see any way the company reviews here could be real.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no point in offering advice to someone who won't every take it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engaging work environment with driven, fun co-workers

Manager (Current Employee)

Pros1. People: The people of C3 Energy are driven, passionate, and fun to work with. They come from a variety of backgrounds-- engineering, sales, politics, consulting-- and the diversity of perspectives enhances the quality of our product and makes team discussions far more interesting. You'll learn a lot from your co-workers on a daily basis.

2. Engaging work: C3 Energy is at the cutting edge of smart grid analytics, making work around business and product development, strategy, and marketing particularly interesting. On a given day, work will include talking to industry experts, brainstorming with clients, discussing options with the engineering team. This is a great environment for someone who wants to be challenged and deeply engaged in the work they do.

3. Fun environment: C3 Energy is a fun place to work. From learning to play accordion during happy hour, to weekly pick up soccer, to general banter around the office, we have a good time. Coming in on Monday morning, there are people I look forward to seeing so we can swap stories about the weekend.

ConsWork / life balance: When you give an exciting question with no "right" answer to a lot of driven, smart people, they'll keep working at it, debating it, refining it for as long as they can. There are many early morning and longs nights at C3 as a result.

Working on really challenging problems

Redwood City, CA

ProsC3 Energy is a terrific place to work. You are working with people who are very smart, fun and friendly. The development projects are very challenging and the speed and quality at which product is delivered is the best that I have seen in my career.

The business itself has strong growth potential and I do believe that people here believe in the mission.

ConsAs with many tech start ups, the work/life balance could be better.

Exciting place to be: Winning management team, hard working but fun people, great technology in an exciting space.

Redwood City, CA

ProsExperienced management team that has track record of building successful companies and deep industry knowledge; Emerging market with large growth potential; Technology developed from the ground up to meet customer needs; Opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something likely to be big.

ConsA lot to do and sometimes feel like not enough hours in the day; Things move fast (this is my first start-up) and need to get used to the pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with strong focus on the customer.

Senior developer excited about new job at C3

Architect (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsC3 is an aggressive start-up, focusing on enterprise applications for energy management. This is a great company to work at to build software that actually has value. There is a good mix of seasoned and younger engineers in the staff so we have a rich and productive culture.
    - You'll be involved with an excellent and close-knit team
    - You'll be given tasks that actually are important
    - You'll see your work show up in products that are in use by huge enterprises
    - There is a high likelyhood that this company will be a substantial success

ConsSince this is a start-up (although a well-funded one), you have to want to work hard. Being business-driven (as opposed to engineering-driven) means that development doesn't have the final say in what gets done.
    - You'll have to work hard
    - "It's not my job" isn't an acceptable response
    - Product direction is set by marketing, not by engineering
    (If you do see these as cons, then this probably isn't the right place for you.)

Professional environment

Redwood City, CA

ProsDiversity of tools, excellent architects, friendly culture, tons of perks.

ConsNot in downtown San Francisco.

Exhilarating

Redwood City, CA

ProsBig market. Big customers. Great partners. Complex information technology problem. SaaS. Big data. Analytics. Human-computer interaction innovation. Mobile. Well financed. Experienced leadership. Great office environment. Ping Pong. Billiards. Food. Smart people. Great engineering team.

ConsNot a relaxed, part-time job, environment. Fast paced. Challenging, interesting work. A great place if you are smart and like to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on technology innovation.

Case study of poor company culture

Senior Director (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsC3 has an exciting mission and dedicated team along with access to significant financial and non-financial resources. C3 also has a great alumni network of talented professionals and provides excellent pay and benefits.

ConsThe company culture is essentially a personality cult built around the CEO. This style may work for some companies, but it is not ideal for C3 because upper management does not have native energy experience / expertise and tends to hire based on resume rather than current skill set. And so while there are many talented and hard working employees, many are not suited for their current roles.

This culture leads to all decisions, large or small, being made at the CEO level as well as incoherent and inconsistent strategy and sometimes poor treatment of clients and vendors. Employees are more concerned about management approval than client approval. The culture breeds "yes" men and women who are trained to execute based on detailed directions rather than create based on larger strategic guidelines. In this day and age of distributed tools and dynamic planning, C3's command and control culture puts it at a distinct disadvantage to similarly sized companies.

Advice to Senior Management- Empower upper and middle management to make the right decisions
    - Spend more time listening closely to clients
    - Prioritize early user experience design and testing prior to significant engineering investments

Worked for C3 Energy? Contribute to the Community!

C3 Energy – Why Work for Us?

C3 Energy was founded and is managed by a uniquely talented team of information technology professionals, recognized for helping build and manage technology and market-leading software companies. The C3 Management team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at C3 Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for C3 Energy CEO Thomas M. Siebel. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by C3 Energy employees.