C3 Energy

Updated February 27, 2015
4.7

C3 Energy CEO Thomas M. Siebel
Thomas M. Siebel

Pros
  • Highly experienced and successful management team (in 7 reviews)

• Experienced management team - proven success and track record (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As with many tech start ups, the work/life balance could be better (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, expect to work the hardest you have ever worked (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazingly talented, motivated, and collaborative team are making software history, solving very difficult, critically im

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Men and women from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints equally get compensated, recognized, and promoted. Great career advancement for all.

Cons

None. Helping our energy customers make the world safer and more environmentally sound while saving money is an exhilarating experience.

Continue the company’s unique tradition of hiring the very best, giving them great opportunities to contribute, and rewarding their successes.

Overly positive reviews of this company are coerced

I worked at C3 Energy

Pros

* Many intelligent co-workers
    * Interesting problems to solve
    * Nearly unlimited resources

Cons

* Employees are bright and intelligent but not trusted
    * Company is completely run by the power of the CEO, lots of unnecessary bottlenecks and a revolving door of yes-men executives as a result
    * Extreme cases of wasted resources as capital is practically unlimited
    * Brutal expectations of after-hours work, before-hours work, weekend work, cancelled vacations, etc... usually for avoidable fire drills

Listen to, trust, and value your employees

Visionary company, doing great things

Former Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working on the cutting edge of big data and analytics, as applied to energy
    Opportunity to create meaningful business and environmental change in the world
    Strong management, very smart and competent peers
    Big, name-brand customers
    Ability to positively impact millions of people

Cons

This is a Silicon Valley company with a clear upward trajectory - people are very dedicated and work long hours.
    Offices are in a beautiful location, but a bit out of the way.

This place is going to do something big and important.

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

Incredibly talented team, open and collaborative work culture, well financed, and we're doing something meaningful to help make energy more sustainable. Very good cash compensation and benefits for a company this size. Many opportunities for growth. Awesome office space.

Cons

The usual scale-up challenges of a small company doing a lot of difficult things.

Assembled a world-class talented team and then proceeded to torture and shoot them

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Initial compensation fair for a startup, additional grants not so much. Located in a good central location for Caltrains commuting.

Cons

The belief that adding and changing management on a revolving door basis was the solution. A very top heavy team with a big company ego crammed into a startup. Ratio of VP / Exec to Employees is higher than it should ever be at any startup.

Dynamic, brilliant, ambitious team.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dream team of world-class engineers, scientists, and strategists developing a game-changing analytics platform for the world's leading energy companies. If that's not enough, you get the best dev tools, free access to a deluxe fitness center (lane pool, rock wall, gym, spa, saunas, new equipment), catered breakfast, lunch, and Friday happy hour, and beautiful 5th-floor views of SF Bay wetlands.

Cons

If you're unfortunate enough to live in the East Bay, the City, or the South Bay, you'll have a long commute. That's all I've got.

Keep the bar set high. Everyone in the organization is counting on you.

Great place to work! Extremely challenging & rewarding at the same time. Very strong Mngmt. team & talented employees.

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A very friendly office culture, you will run into so many nice people at C3. The work is challenging but fun and exciting. The Mngmt team demands a lot, but they're also approachable, willing to help and get involved in the day to day work.

Cons

Being a hard charger and willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard will go a long way

Destined to succeed.

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The thing that stood out most for me at C3 was the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. These are highly motivated people at the top of their game and working with them was a pleasure. The problems they are trying to solve haven't really been attempted before which makes them all the more fun and challenging to work on.

For me, having a strong leader is very important to maintaining confidence in the company as a whole and I would say C3 delivers on that front. I always looked forward to Tom Siebel's company updates where he'd gather all the staff and present his thoughts on where the company was now, where it was going and how to get there. They were a valuable insight into the 'big picture' and the Q&A sessions that would often follow were also very helpful. They helped me understand where my work fit into the broader scope, which in turn made it more meaningful and ultimately satisfying.

It seemed no expense was spared on the environment, with large open spaces and tasteful decor making it a pleasure to spend time working in. A free breakfast and lunch was provided and there was a full sized pool table and table tennis to help break up the day. Being able to take a stroll by the water front helped to clear the head too. There was also a complimentary gym with a pool and even rock climbing about 2 mins walk from the office, which I enjoyed taking advantage of.

Cons

As with most small companies, there is no well defined career ladder to climb and it's often unclear exactly what it takes to get a promotion. But I'm sure that as the company grows that will be addressed.

Long hours and many fire drills

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work with smart people who are fun to work with. If you care about energy and "big world problems" - this may be a good fit for you.

Cons

Musical chairs at the SR executive level. Long hours - no flexibility. it's a start up so you need to commit to the culture and the hours.

Don't think they'd listen.

Fast-paced Exciting Workplace

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. Great Team: Very impressive amount of talent at the company in all roles. I'm continually impressed by how smart and capable my coworkers are.

2. Immediate Responsibility: From day one you are doing impactful work that is likely to be implemented in the live products on a very short timescale.

3. Exciting Market-Space: This is a new and emerging market, and C3 are looking like being one of the leaders paving the way in the field. Lots of opportunity for growth as a company.

Cons

1. Occasional Long Hours: As goes hand in hand with working on difficult, complex problems and operating on a start up time scale it is sometimes necessary to work nights or weekends.

2. Intimidating CEO: While I have a lot of faith in the CEO from a business and vision perspective it's become clear that a lot of people in the office seem very intimidated by him, bordering on being afraid of him. Not a real issue for me as my interactions are limited, but doesn't seem great for company culture.

None.