C3 Energy

Updated October 14, 2014
4.6

C3 Energy CEO Thomas M. Siebel
Thomas M. Siebel

Great place to work! Extremely challenging & rewarding at the same time. Very strong Mngmt. team & talented employees.

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A very friendly office culture, you will run into so many nice people at C3. The work is challenging but fun and exciting. The Mngmt team demands a lot, but they're also approachable, willing to help and get involved in the day to day work.

Cons

Being a hard charger and willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard will go a long way

Dynamic, brilliant, ambitious team.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dream team of world-class engineers, scientists, and strategists developing a game-changing analytics platform for the world's leading energy companies. If that's not enough, you get the best dev tools, free access to a deluxe fitness center (lane pool, rock wall, gym, spa, saunas, new equipment), catered breakfast, lunch, and Friday happy hour, and beautiful 5th-floor views of SF Bay wetlands.

Cons

If you're unfortunate enough to live in the East Bay, the City, or the South Bay, you'll have a long commute. That's all I've got.

Keep the bar set high. Everyone in the organization is counting on you.

Destined to succeed.

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The thing that stood out most for me at C3 was the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. These are highly motivated people at the top of their game and working with them was a pleasure. The problems they are trying to solve haven't really been attempted before which makes them all the more fun and challenging to work on.

For me, having a strong leader is very important to maintaining confidence in the company as a whole and I would say C3 delivers on that front. I always looked forward to Tom Siebel's company updates where he'd gather all the staff and present his thoughts on where the company was now, where it was going and how to get there. They were a valuable insight into the 'big picture' and the Q&A sessions that would often follow were also very helpful. They helped me understand where my work fit into the broader scope, which in turn made it more meaningful and ultimately satisfying.

It seemed no expense was spared on the environment, with large open spaces and tasteful decor making it a pleasure to spend time working in. A free breakfast and lunch was provided and there was a full sized pool table and table tennis to help break up the day. Being able to take a stroll by the water front helped to clear the head too. There was also a complimentary gym with a pool and even rock climbing about 2 mins walk from the office, which I enjoyed taking advantage of.

Cons

As with most small companies, there is no well defined career ladder to climb and it's often unclear exactly what it takes to get a promotion. But I'm sure that as the company grows that will be addressed.

Long hours and many fire drills

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful work with smart people who are fun to work with. If you care about energy and "big world problems" - this may be a good fit for you.

Cons

Musical chairs at the SR executive level. Long hours - no flexibility. it's a start up so you need to commit to the culture and the hours.

Don't think they'd listen.

Fast-paced Exciting Workplace

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great Team: Very impressive amount of talent at the company in all roles. I'm continually impressed by how smart and capable my coworkers are.

2. Immediate Responsibility: From day one you are doing impactful work that is likely to be implemented in the live products on a very short timescale.

3. Exciting Market-Space: This is a new and emerging market, and C3 are looking like being one of the leaders paving the way in the field. Lots of opportunity for growth as a company.

Cons

1. Occasional Long Hours: As goes hand in hand with working on difficult, complex problems and operating on a start up time scale it is sometimes necessary to work nights or weekends.

2. Intimidating CEO: While I have a lot of faith in the CEO from a business and vision perspective it's become clear that a lot of people in the office seem very intimidated by him, bordering on being afraid of him. Not a real issue for me as my interactions are limited, but doesn't seem great for company culture.

None.

Like Heaven

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and nice working environment.

Everybody is down to earth, smart and passionate about their jobs.

Free lunch provided everyday and happy hour every friday after work.

Lots of team activities outside work like Yoga, soccer, and surfing

Cons

None so far. Hope not to find any in future

None

Fantastic team, great office and work environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined the team after meeting the very bright minds C3 Energy has within their engineering department. It's great to work in a challenging environment that doesn't seem to get boring. Constantly new product developments keeps the job exciting and there is no shortage on technical challenges and options to take my career into any direction. Engineers are encouraged (and rewarded financially) to take additional training, as opposed to other companies where one has to beg to receive training.

Executive team is very strong and experienced with a board of directors second to none, consequently the company is very successful and grows at a very high pace.

I love the office location, layout, lighting. Having breakfast and catered lunch every day is obviously also really nice and fortunately the fitness center on campus allows one to still keep in shape. All around a really nice working environment.

Cons

100% dedication is expected from all employees. If you don't love what you are doing and are not passionate about your work, this fast paced environment at C3 Energy might not be a good fit.

Software Engineering at C3 - Applications

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

- Team members very smart across all of engineering - nobody feels like dead weight at all
    - Good mix between senior, very experienced engineers, and recent college graduates
    - Friendly, exciting, upbeat atmosphere
    - Very little red tape or friction in getting code out to production
    - Very little to no office drama/politics
    - Development cycle very short (1 week sprints), stack easy & quick to bring up, code turnaround also quick
    - Projects challenging and interesting - nothing boring so far

Cons

- Priorities can get juggled a bit too quickly
    - Requirements for projects can get added/shifted at the very last minute
    - Some code we write becomes obsolete quickly

- Keep true to the culture

Best Company I've worked at yet...if you have a chance to work here don't pass it up.

Current Employee - Director, Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are brilliant and very focused, the leadership is top-notch, the market is new and exciting, the work is intellectually stimulating and demanding...I feel very humbled to work at C3 Energy. I've learned so much already in the last few months and it's been a great experience so far.

Cons

You will get spoiled. Not all companies will be as satisfying nor as cool...I have to keep telling myself that and enjoying every minute. The learning curve is steep, but that's what makes it fun...if you can handle it.

Don't stop pushing your employees to be the best they can be. Don't settle. Keep the lunches, and keep the culture and environment fresh and fun.

Fast-paced exciting work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging engineering problems. Friendly and extremely bright team. Strong growth potential. Experienced and very successful leadership team. Fun workspace.

Cons

Too many projects at the same time. Sometimes focus may shift mid-project.