C3 Energy Reviews

Reset
3.8
C3 Energy CEO Thomas M. Siebel
Thomas M. Siebel

Pros
  • The senior management team has a tremendous track record of growing successful companies which instills confidence in everyone around them (in 7 reviews)

• People are fun to work with and committed to getting things done and done well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, expect to work the hardest you have ever worked (in 3 reviews)

• The management team demands excellence (and should) (in 2 reviews)

Clear vision and strategy

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

C3 Energy has some of the best people I have ever worked with in the technology space. There is a clear strategy and vision and a focus on executing the strategy. The technology problem that is being solved is challenging and requires some of the best minds to address.

Cons

C3 Energy is a fast paced startup. There is little time to learn on the job and you will be required to take responsibility and deliver immediately.

I think a lot of these positive reviews are fake

Former Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always the possibility the company will somehow get sold.
    There are a lot of very smart people there, although the culture ... well let's put that in the negatives.
    Some of the Board members are interesting people.

Cons

Numerous.
    The company's strategy shifts with the wind.
    Every executive position is a revolving door - there have been numerous heads of sales, marketing, product management, engineering, and even CEOs in the company's short history.
    The current, very famous, CEO is very difficult to work with. He is insulting, insensitive, and really does not care about you at all.
    The many changes in the company strategy, the CEO's overselling, and the CEO's underinvesting in product development make a positive outcome for the company very unlikely.
    The CEO often talked about how he could hire people from Mechanical Turk or Guru to enter data for a very low cost - given the enormous number of people who quit, were fired, or who are still there but extremely unhappy, I can't see any way the company reviews here could be real.

Advice to Management

There's no point in offering advice to someone who won't every take it.

Time Machine

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

- Executives are highly engaged in all decisions, many of whom were involved with Tom Siebel when he built his empire of fortune.
    - While it's not for everyone, some people do thrive in environment there and there's a certain feeling of "specialness" when tapped by the executive team

Cons

- Top down, command-style management combined with lack of focus, constant reprioritization, and micromanagement creates vast inefficiencies and stifles autonomy. A queue of people, literally and figuratively, line up for Siebel's approval for anything from whether or not to buy lunch to the details of an RFP. Many meetings are either canceled after the fact, or delayed quite a bit as a rippling effect from the top down.
    - Because many executives come from big company backgrounds, even though C3 is a relatively small company it has big company heirarchy, tools and policies. While these may be necessary at larger companies, they come with large costs to culture and efficiency.
    - many of the practices at both the executive and engineering level are outdated or not suited to the current line of business. It's a bit of a time machine back to the days when:

- waterfall-style software building was The Way software was built, and no alternatives were considered feasible
      - Big (aka expensive, aka proprietary) platforms were The Way, instead of smaller isolated services built by autonomous teams.
      - management at technology companies was considered necessary and important to motivate and give direction to engineers who, if left to their own devices, would build shoeboxes instead of rocketships
      - companies often divided employees between the "thinkers" and the "doers", the engineers being the doers, and there was little cross-pollination
      - Data Modelers were necessary to protect software engineers from mucking around in the data layer where they do not belong
      - it was deemed status quo/unavoidable that engineers would/should work long, late hours
      - automated testing was less rigorously applied
      - there were few to no options for collaborating well with remote participants

None of these things necessarily dictate failure, but they make for a challenging environment

Advice to Management

Provide more autonomy, less hierarchy, and focus more on removing obstacles to efficiency rather than oversight.

I also highly recommend watching the video by Dan Pink on workplace motivation (on TED).

The company still needs to deliver the promise -- after 3.5 years

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The company attracts some star executives (although they have to prepare for stunning quick shuffling on the VP level)
    - The area still has great potential, at least on paper
    - What you should expect for a startup: High pressure; result-driven.
    - The CEO definitely has the vision and the track record

Cons

- The VP level has been shuffled twice which no wonder casts a lot of uncertainty to the whole company and negative impact to the morale;
    - A clear dictator-type management style.
    - Pretty bad work-to-life balance, even in Silicon Valley
    - If you have worked for Siebel Systems before, you are inferior by default.

Advice to Management

- Don't just vent your frustration on the subpar business growth via going through frequent firing/hiring cycle
    - Give some younger, and no ex-Siebeler a chance. You are not rebuilding another Siebel Systems, need some more fresh and creative ideas and personnel to drive to success.

6. C3 is Top Notch

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

C3 is a strong, solid startup with a lot of growth and potential. The leadership in this emerging market is world class, and the development team is growing quickly. There is an extreme sense of pride and accomplishment in knowing that what I do makes a difference everyday, and I'm appreciated for it. I'm proud to be with C3, and can't wait to see what we can accomplish next!

Cons

C3 moving offices in August 2012, world class space!

7. A great company with bright future!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job:
    - cool and fun job
    - purpose of the company is meaningful

Management:
    - friendly and efficient

Environment:
    - smart and helpful colleagues
    - benefits (3 weeks of holidays, insurance)
    - liberty of action, and personal time organization
    - start up environment (fast paced, responsibilities, manager are always available)

Cons

- wish I could work from home some days (would be more efficient)

So far... the BEST COMPANY I've worked for

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Six months ago, I left a high-profile company with all the perks one can imagine. It was a culture where T-shirt and slippers were the norm, a place where I was given the privilege to build a team from ground up and C-staff with whom I shared a close working relationship.

So why did I leave to come here?

• I got the best of everything I loved from my last company
    • A diverse set of projects which challenges my curiosity
    • A rolodex your boss would want to have
    • An opportunity to work with an executive team with a PROVEN track record
    • The potential of financial rewards
    • A real chance to make a difference

Cons

These aren’t exactly downsides of working here but before you accept, you better make sure:

• You’re an expert in your field
    • You’re ready to roll up your sleeves – we’re a start-up after all
    • You understand that to succeed, you’ve got to put in the hours

Dynamic and rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at C3 Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at C3 has given me the opportunity to work within a team that is very passionate about what they do. It's exciting to be part of a growing company that strives for excellence in all areas. The free company luncheons and break room snacks & beverages are great too!

Cons

If being a team player is not part of your work ethic, C3 may not be the place for you.

Director Product Management

Former Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA

I worked at C3 Energy full-time

Pros

Excellent Alumnii Network. The company attracts some of the best people in the industry, keeps them for 4 to 18 months and gives an excellent learning environment by having aggressive deadlines. You get exposure to some very senior, seasoned professionals very early.

Cons

Lower cash compensation. The company is unable to sell its products and services. Head count is constantly shrinking. Too much turn over.

Advice to Management

Focus on sales. Bring in senior management that has built good businesses and run successful SAAS companies. Employees are your best assets - take care of them.

RSS Feed </> Embed