CA Prison Health Care

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Elaine Bush

All the terrible rumors and stereotypes are spot on

AGPA (Current Employee)
Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at CA Prison Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are great - 401k retirement, pension, 5% raise every year, vacations easy to take whenever, and after probation it's nearly impossible to get fired.

ConsIf it's nearly impossible to get fired, that means you're stuck with a lot of terrible people. People don't show up to work, don't care about contributing or getting work done, seems like a lot of people who aren't the most intelligent, and POLITICS nonstop - be careful what you say and who you're friends with. People are petty and cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the sucky employees, appreciate the good ones and make them actually feel appreciated. Be transparent and include them in decisions.

This is the worst system to work in.

Psychologist (Former Employee)
Folsom, CA

I worked at CA Prison Health Care part-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay and good benefits.

ConsTerrible morale, no sense of worth of professionals, burdensome regulations.
No real commitment to inmate welfare.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Beyond help.

Politics and incompetent people galore!

Staff Services Analyst (Current Employee)
Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at CA Prison Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work is interesting and fun - I love the busy environment and how you can do so much. Union has your back so you are safe and taken care of.

ConsPolitics - everyone is super petty. Don't you dare ask anyone to do their job - they'll cut you down. I asked a coworker to help me find one of her cases and she made my life hell. Not to mention most people are incompetent. Your coworkers and bosses will mostly be in their 50's or 60's, and no matter how many times you explain it, do not understand what a URL is or what "double-click" means on a computer. I thought it was just my office, but I've been in several now and it's all hell. You will end up doing EVERYONE's job, and no promotion or anything, because they are trying to save money and when they do layoffs you are the FIRST to go because they rely entirely on seniority, not on who can actually do their job. This is a perfect job if you are worthless and can't do any work anyways - you'll fit right in. But if you actually work hard and are intelligent - RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork smarter, not harder. Layoffs should not be based on seniority, but people who do their work. So fire the people who suck, and promote the employees who actually give their all. Honestly this would be a great job if you got decent employees.

Worked for CA Prison Health Care? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CA Prison Health Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CA Prison Health Care CEO Elaine Bush. All reviews posted anonymously by CA Prison Health Care employees.